Ricey Mc Menamin

Started by T Fearon, May 16, 2013, 07:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Was Madden not employed by UTV? It'll take a while for his transfer to BBC to go through. Logie had to wait years ;D

AZOffaly

I think Oisin McConville is good, especially when he talks about forward play. Of course his accent is very distinctive, but I'm trying to listen to what he's saying rather than  how he sounds.

T Fearon

Except you're an "intellectual genius" like Brolly, accustomed to performing to a gallery in your day job, I would imagine most pundits start off poorly, but improve as their experience builds over time.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: T Fearon on May 17, 2013, 04:20:59 PM
Except you're an "intellectual genius" like Brolly, accustomed to performing to a gallery in your day job, I would imagine most pundits start off poorly, but improve as their experience builds over time.

Certainly the case with Ciarán Wheelan.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Syferus

So why is he called Ricey anyways? I was afraid to ask while he was still playing.

rrhf

Particularly with a name like barney joe

sam03/05

Kevin Madden is a nobody who has achieved nothing in the game. What has he ever won or done? You have men from Tyrone and Armagh who have All Stars, All Ireland Medals, by the bucket load. Surely they can offer some interesting knowledge into the game, the big occasion, tactics etc. People like Madden who have achieved very little get far too much airtime (TV/Newspaper) at the expense of those who have done so much more.
Bring on the Marsdens, McGranes, Mulligans, Jordan, McGinley etc - has Madden ever even played in a big game at Co level?

Quote from: God14 on May 17, 2013, 03:53:27 PM
I wonder what media training these fella's get?
A flamboyant or successful footballer obviously doesnt make a good pundit. Oisin joined last year & is terrible. Its like listening to a child, or a foreignor whose new to the lingo. Mugsy is Mr. Cliche himself. Often indulges in childish humour, private jokes on screen ("different gravy" episode last year etc)
Paddy Bradley was actually decent on the radio last year to be fair. Enda McGinley is an intelligent fella, be interesting to see what he has to say. What really pains me is that Kevin Madden, who was in my opinion the most insightful in recent years seem's to have been omitted.

imtommygunn

Good man sam. Sure while we're there don't let anyone from any county without a provincial medal or all ireland title speak about football.

He was a good footballer in his day. Caeer infortunately cut short. Mixed it with the best at sigerson but unfortunately we'd be a far cry short of tyrones level. Doesn't make him any less knowledgable.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 17, 2013, 11:56:09 PM
Kevin Madden is a nobody who has achieved nothing in the game. What has he ever won or done? You have men from Tyrone and Armagh who have All Stars, All Ireland Medals, by the bucket load. Surely they can offer some interesting knowledge into the game, the big occasion, tactics etc. People like Madden who have achieved very little get far too much airtime (TV/Newspaper) at the expense of those who have done so much more.
Bring on the Marsdens, McGranes, Mulligans, Jordan, McGinley etc - has Madden ever even played in a big game at Co level?

A flamboyant or successful footballer obviously doesnt make a good pundit. Oisin joined last year & is terrible. Its like listening to a child, or a foreignor whose new to the lingo. Mugsy is Mr. Cliche himself. Often indulges in childish humour, private jokes on screen ("different gravy" episode last year etc)
Paddy Bradley was actually decent on the radio last year to be fair. Enda McGinley is an intelligent fella, be interesting to see what he has to say. What really pains me is that Kevin Madden, who was in my opinion the most insightful in recent years seem's to have been omitted.

what, or why in under f**k does it have to be tyrone or armagh All ireland winners that have to be experts !!

the guys you mentioned are probably nice fellas, and know their suff, but because they have'nt AI medals in their pockets doesnt mean they are f**king daft !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

James Gatz

I hope to God that is a wind up Sam03/05. For the record Madden was a brilliant player when fit, always performed for Antrim and in my opinion could have undoubtedly mixed it at the likes of Mulligan's level if from Tyrone or a "bigger" county where he would have had the platform to showcase his talents at the latter stages of all Ireland competitions. But who honestly gives a flying f**k whether he has won All Ireland's or all stars or whatever? He is one of the most insightful and knowledgable pundits around if you ever bothered to listen to him rather than complain about his record at county level, especially considering he hails from a so called weaker county. As alluded to, if you analysed his individual contribution and performances for Antrim he was a class act. If he was born a few miles away in Tyrone would he then be worthy of your airtime? What makes your post even more ridiculous is the fact that his inter county career was cut short by well documented, very serious health problems. Lastly, in any experience I have had with madden he has been an absolute gentleman and a great GAA man, which is more than can be said about yourself judging by your comments here.

rrhf

We are very critical of people as a nation. Madden s a good pundit.

Kidder81

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 17, 2013, 11:56:09 PM

Sure we had Cavanagh last season with all his All Ireland's and he was a wooden one in the studio

sam03/05

fair enough, didnt mean to be so harsh on Madden.
but I just think that it should be spread put more and that some of the players who entertained us so much in the last decade should get a chance. Great to see the likes of Mulligan etc get a chance.

Syferus

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 18, 2013, 12:25:46 PM
fair enough, didnt mean to be so harsh on Madden.
but I just think that it should be spread put more and that some of the players who entertained us so much in the last decade should get a chance. Great to see the likes of Mulligan etc get a chance.

I think punditry is way too open to 'great' players. The best pundits mightn't even have played inter-county at all.

T Fearon

Exactly.Too many hired due to their profile as players,you sometimes get the impression that the views expressed are not theirs at all but are coming from an auto cue.