UFC comes to Belfast

Started by The Iceman, April 02, 2007, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionntamhnach

Have to admit that the UFC does bore me a little bit with a lot of grounding - I just can't get into the technical aspect that much though I can see why it attracts a big following - it isn't the staged "sports entertainment" theatre of pro wrestling (which I do like in small doses) or the often wounded reputation of boxing.

In terms of pro wrestling PPV numbers, WWE Wrestlemania is the biggest PPV of the year in terms of numbers bought, usually around the 650,000 to 800,000 mark in the USA, plus international buys. The monthly PPVs usually attract 200,000 to 300,000 buys. TNA's monthly PPV's get around 30,000 to 50,000 buys.

Gabriel_Hurl

Rich Franklin is fighting on this show

QuoteThursday, April 05, 2007
by Josh Gross (joshg@sherdog.com)

The next chapter in Rich Franklin's (Pictures) quest to regain the UFC middleweight crown will unfold on June 16 Sherdog.com has learned, when "Ace" faces Martin Kampmann (Pictures) in the main event of UFC's first foray into Ireland.

In his return to the Octagon after losing the belt to Anderson Silva, the 32-year-old Franklin easily stopped Jason MacDonald (Pictures) in early March. On that same card Kampmann, 24, endured Drew McFedries' power before winning by arm-triangle choke.

Having won each of his three UFC contests, the Dane (15-2-0) gets a chance to prove he belongs among the best at 185 when he steps in against Franklin (21-2-0, 1 NC; 8-1 in the UFC).

It's expected Zuffa will officially announce the fight during Thursday's UFC Fight Night telecast from Las Vegas on SpikeTV.

Also, a fight between Forrest Griffin (Pictures) and Hector Ramirez (Pictures) is being discussed.

CiKe

Iceman, if you read what I said, you will see that I asked how much it pulled in regularly. I mentioned that the Mayweather v De La Hoya will be the biggest boxing PPV event ever, and it is likely to be so by quite a distance. I then went on to say that most of the biggest fights generate nowhere near that amount of PPV's.

That said, your figures are way off the mark. The biggest PPV event ever in terms of buys was Holyfield v Tyson II that generated 1.99mn. Lewis-Tyson was the biggest grossing with 1.95mn buys. Outside of the heavyweight division to my knowledge the biggest PPV fight was Trinidad-De La Hoya at 1.25mn

I prefer boxing because it's a much better spectacle at least it is south of Cruiserweight, the heavyweight fights generally speaking these days are pretty boring, although there have been a couple of exceptions in the last year.

The Iceman

Cike my figures are not off the mark - they are not the biggest PPVs ever and I never said they were - they are simply the biggest PPVs during a period last year.

UFC is eclipsing boxing in terms of overall PPVs this year and that is set to continue  - FACT

Its cool that you prefer boxing.  Each to their own.  I think if people became educated in MMA they would appreciate it too as the "spectacle" it is.

Its like comparing street fighting and boxing.  Street fighting is a brawl  - Boxing is an art.  But MMA is a science and an art also.

You should try it sometime.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

I see it doesnt specify Belfast as the venue?
Has this been confirmed?

The Iceman

Thats the talk so far - fighters said Belfast, Media says Belfast but you know yourself how these things work.

Lets hope so!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

Indeed
Are you going to Manchester Iceman?

The Iceman

Na its a terrible card and I'm in London at the moment working so don't think its worth the trip up.
Tickets are £50 - £250 - hopefully I'll be about home for the Belfast Night.
I heard Joe McVeigh got a wild card entry and is fighting for the title.....

Hardy

I've never looked at this UFC stuff. Is it real sport, junk sport or choreography, like "wrestling"?

dubnut

Gabriel_Hurl

OK, MMAWeekly says this event is officially UFC 72 and that the card headlined by Silva vs Marquardt is UFC 73.

Rumored Card:

-Rich Franklin vs. Martin Kampmann
-Forrest Griffin vs. TBA (Ramirez?)
-Jorge Gurgel vs. TBA
-Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida

Griffin vs Guida - tremendous

The Iceman

Good work Gabriel!

So it may be an actual UFC! I hope they come to Belfast now.  Not sure about the truth of some of the rumours floating around as UFC 72 was originally scheduled for July and Gurgel was due to fight then too.

Franklin vrs Kampmann would be a good enough fight but definitely a win fof Franklin - Kampmann just doesn't have the experience though Rich was very hesitant in his last fight - maybe he has lost the killer instinct!

Griffin vrs Guida should be a war!

Now if we could get Tito vrs Evans moved to Ireland we would be on a winner!

Hardy

What are the rules (roughly)?

Gabriel_Hurl

Ortiz vs Evans is on UFC 73

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteThe current rules for the Ultimate Fighting Championship were originally established by the New Jersey Athletic Control Board.[22] The "Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts" that New Jersey established has been adopted in other states that regulate mixed martial arts, including Nevada, Louisiana, and California. These rules are also used by many other promotions within the United States, becoming mandatory for those states that have adopted the rules, and so have become the standard de facto set of rules for professional mixed martial arts across the country.

Rounds

Every round in UFC competition is five minutes in duration. Title matches have five rounds, and non-title matches have three rounds. There is a one minute rest period between rounds.

Weight divisions

See also: Mixed martial arts weight classes

The UFC currently uses five weight classes:

* Lightweight: 146 to 155 lb (66 to 70 kg)
    * Welterweight: 156 to 170 lb (77 kg)
    * Middleweight: 171 to 185 lb (84 kg)
    * Light Heavyweight: 186 to 205 lb (93 kg)
    * Heavyweight: 206 to 265 lb (120 kg)

Cage

The UFC uses an octagonal caged enclosure, "The Octagon", to stage bouts. Originally, SEG had trademarked The Octagon and prevented other mixed martial arts promotions from using the same type of cage, but in 2001, Zuffa gave their permission for other promotions to use octagonal cages (whilst reserving use of the name "Octagon"). Their rationale was that the young sport needed uniformity in order to continue to win official sanctioning.[23]

The cage is composed of an eight-sided metal fencing coated with black vinyl, with a diameter of 11.5 m (38 ft), allowing 9 m (30 ft) of space from point to point. The fence is 1.83 m (6 ft) high. The cage sits on top of a platform, raising it 1.2 m (4 ft) from the ground. It has foam padding around the top of the fence and between each of the eight sections. It also has two entry-exit gates opposite each other.[24]

The mat, painted with sponsorship logos and art, is replaced for each event.

Attire

All competitors must fight in approved shorts, without shoes or any other sort of foot padding. Shirts, gis or long pants (including gi pants) are not allowed. Fighters must use approved light gloves (110 to 170 g / 4 to 6 ounces) that allow fingers to grab. These gloves enable fighters to use tremendous punching power with less risk of an injured or broken hand.

Originally the attire for UFC was very open if controlled at all. Many fighters still chose to wear tight-fitting shorts or boxing-type trunks, while others wore long pants or tight wrestling suits. Multi-time tournament champion Royce Gracie wore a Jujutsugi in all his early appearances in UFC.

Match outcome

Matches usually end via:

* Submission: a fighter taps on the mat or his opponent three times (or more) or verbally submits.
    * Knockout: a fighter falls from a legal blow and is either unconscious or unable to immediately continue.
    * Technical Knockout: stoppage of the fight by the referee if the referee determines a fighter cannot "intelligently defend" himself; if warnings to the fighter to improve his position or defense go unanswered (generally, two warnings are given, about 5 seconds apart); or by ringside doctor due to injury.
    * Judges' Decision: Depending on scoring, a match may end as:

* unanimous decision (all three judges score a win for one fighter),
        * split decision (two judges score a win for one fighter with the third for the other),
        * majority decision (two judges score a win for one fighter with one for a draw),
        * unanimous draw (all three judges score a draw),
        * majority draw (two judges score a draw).
        * split draw (the total points for each fighter is equal)

A fight can also end in a technical decision, technical draw, disqualification, forfeit or no contest.

Judging criteria

The ten-point must system is in effect for all UFC fights; three judges score each round and the winner of each receives ten points, the loser nine points or less. If the round is even, both fighters receive ten points. In New Jersey, the fewest points a fighter can receive is 7, and in other states by custom no fighter receives less than 7.

Fouls

The Nevada State Athletic Commission currently lists the following as fouls:[25]

1. Butting with the head.
   2. Eye gouging of any kind.
   3. Biting.
   4. Hair pulling.
   5. Fish hooking.
   6. Groin attacks of any kind.
   7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent. (see Gouging)
   8. Small joint manipulation.
   9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head. (see Rabbit punch)
  10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow. (see Elbow (strike))
  11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
  12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
  13. Grabbing the clavicle.
  14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
  15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
  16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
  17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
  18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck. (see piledriver)
  19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
  20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
  21. Spitting at an opponent.
  22. Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
  23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
  24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
  25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
  26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
  27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of a round.
  28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
  29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
  30. Interference by the corner.
  31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

When a foul is charged, the referee in their discretion may deduct one or more points as a penalty. If a foul incapacitates a fighter, then the match may end in a disqualification if the foul was intentional, or a no contest if unintentional. If a foul causes a fighter to be unable to continue later in the bout, it ends with a technical decision win to the injured fighter if the injured fighter is ahead on points, otherwise it is a technical draw.[26]

Match conduct

* The referee has the right to stop the fighters and stand them up if they reach a stalemate on the ground (where neither are in a dominant position, nor are working towards one) after a verbal warning. This rule is codified in Nevada as the stand-up rule.

* If the referee pauses the match, the match is resumed with the fighters in the position they were before.

* Any grabbing of the cage will result in a verbal warning, followed by an attempt by the referee to release the grab by pulling on the grabbing hand. If that attempt fails or if the fighter continues to hold the cage, the referee may charge a foul.