Passports

Started by Feckitt, May 14, 2013, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Help needed please!

I cannot get through to the Passport office, I have tried every day now for a week, and just get the same message, and my query is not on their FAQ section.

My passport expires next month, so I need a new one pronto, but I want to book a flight to Paris with Ryanair this week for a holiday in July.  Will my passport number be the same as my old passport number?  I really dont want Ryanair to f**k me over again at the airport.  I also dont want to wait until I get my new passport back before booking the flights.

Does anyone know?

AQMP

I'm almost certain that new passports have new numbers.

Fuzzman

Can you not change the passport number on your booking just before you print off your boarding pass? I am not sure but think you can.

WeeDonns

Do you definitely need the passport number when just booking the flight? I thought it was just needed when checking in online?

ardal

I renewed my passport about a year back and I am 99.99999% it stayed the same. I had also booked a flight back home and needed to get one of the "short term" / emergency renewal passports, after I'd booked my flight and had waited for the full term passport for about 3 months

Ball DeBeaver

I know that with Easyjet you only need to give the passport details  before you fly, not at the time of booking.

Ryanair.....

Details of all passengers' travel documents (including those of children and infants) must be entered during the online check-in process. All passengers must present their valid travel document along with their online boarding pass at airport security and at the boarding gate for all flights.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-traveldocumentation
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on May 14, 2013, 02:56:02 PM
I'm almost certain that new passports have new numbers.
Me too.

tommysmith

Quote from: WeeDonns on May 14, 2013, 04:05:16 PM
Do you definitely need the passport number when just booking the flight? I thought it was just needed when checking in online?

I am pretty sure that this is correct.

Stall the Bailer

My passport (Irish) number changed when I got it renewed.

Rossfan

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on May 14, 2013, 04:48:59 PM
My passport (Irish) number changed when I got it renewed.
So did mine.
But you don't have to give the number when booking the flight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ulick

Just checked my previous passports there and the number definitely changes. Most airlines as far as I know will take the number if you are on a flight out of the common travel or Shengen areas e.g. it's required on booking if you're flying Belfast to Rome or Rome to Dublin but not Dublin to London.

Hound

Quote from: Ulick on May 14, 2013, 08:01:51 PM
Just checked my previous passports there and the number definitely changes. Most airlines as far as I know will take the number if you are on a flight out of the common travel or Shengen areas e.g. it's required on booking if you're flying Belfast to Rome or Rome to Dublin but not Dublin to London.
I booked Dublin to Spain last week on Aer Lingus.
I did not have to provide passport numbers.

ardal

Don't you just need some sort of EU acceptable form of proof anyway eg. National ID card, driving licence etc?

93-DY-SAM

Not sure about Ryanair booking process but I know on an Irish passport your passport number will def change when you are issued with a new one. 

Hound

Quote from: ardal on May 15, 2013, 12:02:15 PM
Don't you just need some sort of EU acceptable form of proof anyway eg. National ID card, driving licence etc?
No, you need a passport when travelling to mainland EU from Ireland or Britain.

But the point I think is, you don't need to have your passport to hand when booking flights, only need it when checking-in.