Catholic teenager almost lynched in Rangers Supporters Club in Donegall Road.

Started by T Fearon, May 11, 2013, 04:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qubdub

Sure the Brits were happy to cross the border whenever they thought they'd get away with it...

But yeah it's a good concept, I'd certainly support it, but it's one that I don't think the Unionists would ever agree to.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

QuoteYou can dream up all of the laws you like around which to frame it, but for serious crimes like this the border is extremely convenient for these scumbags. Surely any Nationalist/Republican would prefer to see more cross-border ties and selling a clampdown on dissidents and breakaway/criminal groups might be possible in Stormont?

The border doesn't help, but this case is also about actually getting evidence, hearsay is not enough.

As for cooperation, sure some cannot stomach cooperation on the health front, never mind security, and not all of these would describe themselves as unionists.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 12, 2013, 02:17:08 PM
QuoteYou can dream up all of the laws you like around which to frame it, but for serious crimes like this the border is extremely convenient for these scumbags. Surely any Nationalist/Republican would prefer to see more cross-border ties and selling a clampdown on dissidents and breakaway/criminal groups might be possible in Stormont?

The border doesn't help, but this case is also about actually getting evidence, hearsay is not enough.

As for cooperation, sure some cannot stomach cooperation on the health front, never mind security, and not all of these would describe themselves as unionists.

This applies to every case. The border is a major hindrance and it would be difficult for Unionists to argue against that.

Unionists might not like it but they don't like the idea of a 32 county Ireland or a day to honour all those who fought for Ireland, and Adams, for example, has no problem publicly calling for those.

Realistically IMHO (I know I diverge) a 32 County Ireland will happen because it makes sense. It won't happen overnight and it won't happen by force or we will have the Troubles in reverse. It will happen incrementally and it will happen because issues like this are dealt with pragmatically, I hope.
MWWSI 2017

All of a Sludden

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2013, 01:40:57 PM
I mentioned this before and it seems to be to be a good time to mention it again.

Why can we not push for cross-border policing?

You can dream up all of the laws you like around which to frame it, but for serious crimes like this the border is extremely convenient for these scumbags. Surely any Nationalist/Republican would prefer to see more cross-border ties and selling a clampdown on dissidents and breakaway/criminal groups might be possible in Stormont?

I am not blind to the obvious difficulties but real leadership requires brave decisions sometimes.

The simple solution is to gradually get rid of the border, but can anyone really police south Armagh and north Louth?

Despite what you hear from politicians and see on the news the Gardai are getting very little help from the PSNI on this case, if anything the PSNI are hindering the investigation. They won't do anything without a risk assessment which can take weeks and any evidence that has been obtained has been slow to be handed over. Too much red tape.
Breen and Buchanan would call it karma.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

muppet

Quote from: All of a Sludden on May 12, 2013, 02:35:54 PM
I mentioned this before and it seems to be to be a good time to mention it again.

You can dream up all of the laws you like around which to frame it, but for serious crimes like this the border is extremely convenient for these scumbags. Surely any Nationalist/Republican would prefer to see more cross-border ties and selling a clampdown on dissidents and breakaway/criminal groups might be possible in Stormont?

I am not blind to the obvious difficulties but real leadership requires brave decisions sometimes.

The simple solution is to gradually get rid of the border, but can anyone really police south Armagh and north Louth?

Despite what you hear from politicians and see on the news the Gardai are getting very little help from the PSNI on this case, if anything the PSNI are hindering the investigation. They won't do anything without a risk assessment which can take weeks and any evidence that has been obtained has been slow to be handed over. Too much red tape.
Breen and Buchanan would call it karma.

This would be what I suspected.
MWWSI 2017

dillinger

Quote from: qubdub on May 12, 2013, 01:52:06 PM
Sure the Brits were happy to cross the border whenever they thought they'd get away with it...

But yeah it's a good concept, I'd certainly support it, but it's one that I don't think the Unionists would ever agree to.
That worked both ways. I know a member of the Garda who told me they used to nip over the border in pursuit of crims. At times even met and talked to RUC patrols when doing so.

muppet

Quote from: dillinger on May 12, 2013, 11:47:10 PM
Quote from: qubdub on May 12, 2013, 01:52:06 PM

That worked both ways. I know a member of the Garda who told me they used to nip over the border in pursuit of crims. At times even met and talked to RUC patrols when doing so.

Cool, this should be easier than I thought then.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2013, 02:24:24 PM
The border is a major hindrance and it would be difficult for Unionists to argue against that.

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2013, 02:24:24 PM
Realistically IMHO (I know I diverge) a 32 County Ireland will happen because it makes sense....and it will happen because issues like this are dealt with pragmatically, I hope.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

red hander

Once spent a couple of hours drinking in the Highfield Rangers Supporters Club about 20 years ago, but the scariest bar I've ever walked into for the reaction from locals was in Moortown... and I'm from feckin Dungannon!!!!

T Fearon

Remember being in a bar in Monkstown over 30 years ago. The locals decided to have a sports quiz, and one of them came up with a boxing poser to which the answer was Rinty Monaghan. The answer wasnt forthcoming so he said "I'll give you a clue, he was a fenian!" Ever get the strange experience of crapping yourself and laughing simultaneously?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on May 13, 2013, 02:38:39 PM
Remember being in a bar in Monkstown over 30 years ago. The locals decided to have a sports quiz, and one of them came up with a boxing poser to which the answer was Rinty Monaghan. The answer wasnt forthcoming so he said "I'll give you a clue, he was a fenian!" Ever get the strange experience of crapping yourself and laughing simultaneously?

Yes, on the day I got married and when the kids were born ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

Did this make the UTV or BBC news over the last few days?
I can't see much sign of it anywhere.

snoopdog

im assuming the main part of their culture is constant triumphalism, banging drums and blasting flutes for songs of victory over catholics. It is constantly drummed into them to hate us.
Whereas our definig cultural aspect is Gaelic games which in my opinion has long since moved on from any sectarian linkage if ever any. It is all about 100% sport.
A certain level of equlity has led the majority of nationalists to contentment where a minority of them see it as the dying embers of a union that no longer cares if the stay or go, and they feel threatened.
A disgrace that anyone should be battered because of their religion, what was the motive did she stand up and abuse people on their beliefs? i doubt it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: snoopdog on May 13, 2013, 04:59:49 PM
im assuming the main part of their culture is constant triumphalism, banging drums and blasting flutes for songs of victory over catholics. It is constantly drummed into them to hate us.
Whereas our definig cultural aspect is Gaelic games which in my opinion has long since moved on from any sectarian linkage if ever any. It is all about 100% sport.
A certain level of equlity has led the majority of nationalists to contentment where a minority of them see it as the dying embers of a union that no longer cares if the stay or go, and they feel threatened.
A disgrace that anyone should be battered because of their religion, what was the motive did she stand up and abuse people on their beliefs? i doubt it.

Unfortunate timing for this post given events in Monaghan this weekend.