Worst team to win the All-Ireland?

Started by Olly, May 03, 2013, 10:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

aha the twins...
Seanie Meylers nosebleed has a lot to answer for...
as has the handball alley. 
Had a big impact on Tyrone football in the 1990s by 1996 we were all trying to imitate Willie Joe that day. 

ONeill

The twins were Ballyhalbert.

Tyrone didn't win another championship game for 5 years after Mayo beat them in '89 - would that be right?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Big Art should have had the foresight to play Cush and Canavan in 1989. They were unstoppable at underage and may just have provided enough spark to get us over the line against Mayo. I know Peter was still minor but he was an exception.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Them boys subsequently made their debut V Mayo in late October and became instant stars.  Had they been there in 89 they would have lit the place up.  A dirty Armagh outfit cleaved them in the championship in 90, 91 after a replay, 92 was Derry after the league final, 93 they lost I believe to Derry again in Omagh to a controversial Damian Cassidy goal.  94 they tore up Ulster until they hit a cracking down team in the final.  95 they should have won the ai but for Paddy Russell, 96 was like 89 Willie Joe all over again - this time we wore the turbans.     

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rrhf on May 06, 2013, 04:34:33 PM
Aye but we had the prince ye boy ye.  As for the AI final ye should have bate Cork.

Poor Larry always remembered for the goal he didn't score rather than the one he did.

If I remember rightly a Mayo ball (might have been Anthony Finnerty's one) ran the length of the goal line and came back out. Mayo managed to hit the uprights 2-3 times during that game too. Luck has rarely been a fair mistress of Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 06, 2013, 04:31:11 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 06, 2013, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: ONeill on May 06, 2013, 01:14:17 PM
That is true though - you knew that playing the boys from the West allowed the chance of a big day out in September.
Tyrone v Mayo in 89 (still sticks in the throat)
In 89 ye were offered a lift and didnt go.  Twas the Ballycastle woman that was stuck on yer throat..

The arrogance of the Tyrone fans before the 1989 semi-final was astounding. That was a good Mayo team and they accounted well for themselves in the Final V Cork. They had already played very hard fought matches 2 v Galway and 2 v Roscommon in the Connacht Championship that year.

Was indeed a good Mayo side JOM certainly had them playing some good stuff. 1989 was the first All Ireland final Mayo had reached since 1951 how times has changed...
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

blanketattack

1973 Cork team

The Kerry and Dublin teams were almost rock bottom before their dominance of the remainder of the 70s. Offaly were on their last legs and disappeared as a force until the late 70s.
Ulster had disappeared from the Gaelic Football landscape.
Roscommon were Connaught's only decent team that decade and were a few years off yet.

spuds

Quote from: blanketattack on May 07, 2013, 12:46:27 PM
1973 Cork team

The Kerry and Dublin teams were almost rock bottom before their dominance of the remainder of the 70s. Offaly were on their last legs and disappeared as a force until the late 70s.
Roscommon were Connaught's only decent team that decade and were a few years off yet.
Galway got to 3 all Ireland finals that decade  (71,73 &74), Roscommon got to none.
Mayo were putrid, not even winning a Connacht title during the 70s. Was even worse considering they won All Ireland minors in 71 & 78 and u21 in 74 to go along with minor in 66 and 21 in 67.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

J70

1973 Cork team

By that logic, maybe Kerry and Dublin were only so successful because everyone else was so shit.

blanketattack

Quote from: J70 on May 07, 2013, 03:48:02 PM
1973 Cork team

By that logic, maybe Kerry and Dublin were only so successful because everyone else was so shit.

I only picked Dublin and Kerry because they dominated the next 9 years, and there was nothing from Cork during that spell bar the '74 Munster C'ship.
I would have said something similar for Kerry winning in '59 prior to Down and Galway coming to greatness but Kerry followed it up with another win in '62.
But don't late the facts get in the way of a rant against Kerry and Dublin!

JBM on the 21

Rubbish - Cork were cheated in the 1976 Munster Final -  Kerry were reigning All Ireland Champions. Cork took them to a replay in 1982.  The  defeats in 1978 and 1979 were less than the drubbings that Dublin received in those years All  Ireland Finals.
If Cork had won in 1976, it would have changed the landscape in Munster

From the Bunker

Quote from: JBM on the 21 on May 07, 2013, 04:11:18 PM
Rubbish - Cork were cheated in the 1976 Munster Final -  Kerry were reigning All Ireland Champions. Cork took them to a replay in 1982.  The  defeats in 1978 and 1979 were less than the drubbings that Dublin received in those years All  Ireland Finals.
If Cork had won in 1976, it would have changed the landscape in Munster

True enough, allot of Cork lads switched codes. At the time it was an easy option as the hurlers were always there or there abouts for an AI. Where as the footballers had to contend with Kerry in no back door system.

J70

Quote from: blanketattack on May 07, 2013, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 07, 2013, 03:48:02 PM
1973 Cork team

I only picked Dublin and Kerry because they dominated the next 9 years, and there was nothing from Cork during that spell bar the '74 Munster C'ship.
I would have said something similar for Kerry winning in '59 prior to Down and Galway coming to greatness but Kerry followed it up with another win in '62.
But don't late the facts get in the way of a rant against Kerry and Dublin!

What rant? I didn't make any comment denigrating Kerry or Dublin. Just think its ludicrous to devalue a teams achievement just because some other team was in a slump.

Estimator

Quote from: rrhf on May 06, 2013, 05:31:11 PM
Them boys subsequently made their debut V Mayo in late October and became instant stars.  Had they been there in 89 they would have lit the place up.  A dirty Armagh outfit cleaved them in the championship in 90, 91 after a replay, 92 was Derry after the league final, 93 they lost I believe to Derry again in Omagh to a controversial Damian Cassidy goal.  94 they tore up Ulster until they hit a cracking down team in the final.  95 they should have won the ai but for Paddy Russell, 96 was like 89 Willie Joe all over again - this time we wore the turbans.     
91 Derry beat Tyrone in Omagh. Cassidy scored the goal that day. Your minor side celebrated like they had won the All-Ireland when they beat Derry.
92 Derry beat Tyrone in Celtic Park. All ticket affair. Gary Coleman scored an own goal.
93 Armagh beat Tyrone in a replay.
Ulster League Champions 2009

rrhf

Great stuff Who bate Tyrone in 90 then it must have been a dirty Armagh outfit who got Colum Donaghy sent off the shower