Started by Olly, May 03, 2013, 10:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

But as an eminent thinker recently remarked:

Jimmy's winning matches
Jimmy's winning games,
Every team he meets with,
He nonchalantly tames.

Wonder how some of the free-flowing Ai champ. teams of the past would have fared against that Donegal system.

Rossfan

Quote from: galwayman on May 03, 2013, 11:07:32 PM
Get over it Rossfan.

That was a serious Galway team. Padraic Joyce,Michael Donnellan,Ja Fallon,Kevin Walsh,Sean og de Paor,Derek Savage,Niall [b]Finnegan,  :oTomas Mannion  etc.
Some unbelievable players there
Don't forget Divilly, Silke, Fahy... unbelievable  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2013, 05:14:35 PM
Get over it Rossfan.

That was a serious Galway team. Padraic Joyce,Michael Donnellan,Ja Fallon,Kevin Walsh,Sean og de Paor,Derek Savage,Niall [b]Finnegan,  :oTomas Mannion  etc.

No All-Ireland winning side has a team of 15 superstars. You need a few piano movers to go along with the piano players.

Cold tea

Quote from: Olly on May 03, 2013, 10:11:13 PM
Who was it?

Contenders:

Dublin 1963
Armagh 2002
Louth 1957
Kildare 1905

Seriously O'Neill do you fully ejacuate when typing this crap.

Jinxy

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 04, 2013, 03:27:16 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on May 04, 2013, 01:53:50 AM
Down 1991

Catch yourself on. They were back three years later to do it again if you remember.

Colm O'Rourkes pneumonia should have been given a winners medal that year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2013, 05:28:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2013, 05:14:35 PM
Get over it Rossfan.

No All-Ireland winning side has a team of 15 superstars. You need a few piano movers to go along with the piano players.

There's piano movers and there's piano movers ...but some lads just look on at both the players and the movers ;D

time ticking away

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 04, 2013, 03:27:16 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on May 04, 2013, 01:53:50 AM
Down 1991

Catch yourself on. They were back three years later to do it again if you remember.

They were a much better team in 1994.
The 91 team were very average
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

maigheo

wish Mayo were involved in this conversation :) :) :) :) :) :).For me there is no such thing as poor all ireland winners

Wildweasel74

Any input from mayo about the early 40`s is always welcome, anybody still about that would remember that far back, Always wondered about the Louth one myself back round 57 or so!1

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 04, 2013, 08:27:50 PM
Any input from mayo about the early 40`s is always welcome, anybody still about that would remember that far back, Always wondered about the Louth one myself back round 57 or so!1

You would have to ask the Rossie lads about the 40's they ruled the roost then.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

OK - Add Dublin 1942 and Cork 1945 to the list. :D
Did any good team ever win an All Ireland ? :P

Wildweasel74

kerry 1979 and 1981 were fairly tasty, got lucky against Roscommon in 80, and Dublin had them on the ropes early on 78 before the bomber put the snackdown on them. Always thought the 76/77 dub teams were hyped out more than what they were, Meath team of the late 80`s may have been a better team than them. of recent yrs i may not like them but Tyrone 2005 was likely the best team out of ulster for many a year

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 04, 2013, 08:38:28 PM
kerry 1979 and 1981 were fairly tasty, got lucky against Roscommon in 80, and Dublin had them on the ropes early on 78 before the bomber put the snackdown on them. Always thought the 76/77 dub teams were hyped out more than what they were, Meath team of the late 80`s may have been a better team than them. of recent yrs i may not like them but Tyrone 2005 was likely the best team out of ulster for many a year

Ah, in fairness they won 3 AI's in 4 years! Tyrone won 3 in 6 and are looked on as Gods!

rrhf

I be wondered about this too, but I think there's a general realisation of how standards have risen and how competitive things are now compared to then. There's no fat guys winning medals now

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rrhf on May 04, 2013, 10:32:30 PM
I be wondered about this too, but I think there's a general realisation of how standards have risen and how competitive things are now compared to then. There's no fat guys winning medals now
In fairness Paul Durcan was no thin lad last summer when he won the All Ireland and All-star.