Dublin v Westmeath/Carlow (1 June 2013)

Started by The Hill is Blue, April 30, 2013, 08:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Any thoughts on Dublin's starting line-up for their championship opener?

Here's my stab at it.

Cluxton
O'Brien
O'Carroll
Daly
McCarthy
Brennan
McCaffrey
Macauley
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Connolly
Kilkenny
Mannion
Rock
B. Brogan
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

camanchero

I'd select a slightly diff team but your selection looks close to what Gavin may pick alright.
Only changes would be either Cullen or that young ballymun lad whose name escapes me at whf with Kilkenny on the bench and hopefully Andrews getting the nod for FF with Rock also held in reserve.

Syferus

Andrews is a workhorse but it's senseless keeping a player like Rock on the bench.

camanchero

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2013, 11:48:00 PM
Andrews is a workhorse but it's senseless keeping a player like Rock on the bench.
Time and place
Eg Maurice Fitz
We'd all pick different teams. Rock wasnt even on the panel last year!
He has great talent but still learning - inconsistent. Was v poor in club all Ireland second half.
Ok in the first half. Can improve. Great asset and free taker.

Dublin now have that strength in depth that wins all Ireland's.

Syferus

Quote from: camanchero on April 30, 2013, 11:58:22 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2013, 11:48:00 PM
Time and place
Eg Maurice Fitz
We'd all pick different teams. Rock wasnt even on the panel last year!
He has great talent but still learning - inconsistent. Was v poor in club all Ireland second half.
Ok in the first half. Can improve. Great asset and free taker.

Dublin now have that strength in depth that wins all Ireland's.

To be fair to the lad all he really did was miss two difficult frees on his wrong side in the second half in the AI final, he still scored 1-3. It was way more about Brigids preventing good ball getting to him than it was him simply failing to perform.

I just think you name your best forwards, your best players, and let the bench take care of itself. There's not many players who can spend 68 minutes on a bench in a national final and still deliver the winning points; Rock deserves a run in the starting line-up at this stage.

Shamrock Shore

I expect Carlow to put it up to the Dubs  ::)

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 30, 2013, 08:58:09 PM

Here's my stab at it.

Cluxton
O'Brien
O'Carroll
Daly
McCarthy
Brennan
McCaffrey
Macauley
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Connolly
Kilkenny
Mannion
Rock
B. Brogan
I'd have Jonny Cooper somewhere in the backs. Not sure who I'd leave out though.

Rock has certainly put himself right into the picture. Still I'd be surprised if he was a championship starter. I think it'll be Kilkenny at 11, so the question is whether Connolly gets 14 or 12. If he's asked to play at wing forward then its probably between Rock and Andrews for 14 alright. But if Connolly gets 14, then you're looking at Cullen for 12 (or an outside chance of playing one of our myriad of half backs there to try and tighten up defence a little bit).

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Hound on May 01, 2013, 08:48:51 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 30, 2013, 08:58:09 PM

Here's my stab at it.

Cluxton
O'Brien
O'Carroll
Daly
McCarthy
Brennan
McCaffrey
Macauley
O'Sullivan
Flynn
Connolly
Kilkenny
Mannion
Rock
B. Brogan
I'd have Jonny Cooper somewhere in the backs. Not sure who I'd leave out though.

Rock has certainly put himself right into the picture. Still I'd be surprised if he was a championship starter. I think it'll be Kilkenny at 11, so the question is whether Connolly gets 14 or 12. If he's asked to play at wing forward then its probably between Rock and Andrews for 14 alright. But if Connolly gets 14, then you're looking at Cullen for 12 (or an outside chance of playing one of our myriad of half backs there to try and tighten up defence a little bit).

Agreed, it would be unfortunate on Cooper if he was to lose out but at the moment I honestly can't see who he would replace.

It's early days yet and I suppose a lot will depend on how lads perform in training. I'd say that there are a lot of places still up for garbs.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

Rock has all the tools a good full forward needs I think.
He's a big lad too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
He's a big lad too.

Steady on Jinx..................... all the tools and a big lad eh  ;D

Jesus we need the correct midfield pairing for this one...................... Id move james mccarthy into the middle along side Mickey Darragh........and pull Cain back into the hbs

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 01:32:45 PM
He's a big lad too.

I'd have Andrews and Connolly ahead of him (in that order).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Nah, not Andrews.
I'd agree about Connolly but I think he does better drifting out around the HF line.
Himself Berno and Mannion in the FF line wouldn't work I think.
In theory it'd be the best FF line in the country, but I don't think they'd work as a unit.
Too many chiefs.

Croí na hÉireann

Only place to play Andrews IMO and has done the business for most of the league. That leaves Connolly on the 40 with the option of moving inside. All you need is 2 out of the 3 chiefs on form and the Indians will take care of the rest.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rodney trotter

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 02:46:49 PM
Nah, not Andrews.
I'd agree about Connolly but I think he does better drifting out around the HF line.
Himself Berno and Mannion in the FF line wouldn't work I think.
In theory it'd be the best FF line in the country, but I don't think they'd work as a unit.
Too many chiefs.

You know Meath are going down hill, when a Meath man is worrying about the Dublin team selection.

Jinxy

Trust me, you don't want me to start talking about the Meath team.