All Ireland Hurling Championship 2013

Started by AZOffaly, April 30, 2013, 04:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterfordlad

Yeah Molumphy is abroad a lot on army duty so not involved this year and a big loss. It's not often a players goes 9 years between championship games like Ian O'Regan but he deserves his chance again.

johnneycool

Quote from: waterfordlad on May 30, 2013, 08:06:24 AM
Yeah Molumphy is abroad a lot on army duty so not involved this year and a big loss. It's not often a players goes 9 years between championship games like Ian O'Regan but he deserves his chance again.

What happened the young lad who was in nets for the U-21's a few years back and had a huge puck on him?

He looked handy.

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on May 30, 2013, 08:34:52 AM
What happened the young lad who was in nets for the U-21's a few years back and had a huge puck on him?

He looked handy.

Last time I checked, Adrian Power was out Stateside. Either way, he's had no involvement this year in the county panel.

laoislad

11 point win for Laois today over the fruit pastilles.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

I thought the Deise would do better. 

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 02, 2013, 05:29:38 PM
I thought the Deise would do better.

Strange game,

Clare came out of the blocks in the first 10 minutes, rattled off 4 points without Waterford getting a touch off the ball, Deise got a goal and then bossed the remainder of the first half and looked too dominant to lose, but alas wee Davy worked his measured magic at half time and got them going again to pull away in the end. Waterford looked the better team, but just didn't turn up after half time.

Clare seemed up for it more, but their insistence on the passing game cost them the goal for sure as the pass wasn't on, it needed distance from inside your own 14 yard line, utter madness on the centre backs part. The short sidelines looked silly and I think a lot of the Waterford support thought they were illegal, my take on it is that as long as your 13 metres away when its struck you can then move towards it similar to lads collecting short puck outs inside their own 20 metre line.

Was still a bit flat even if the Clare lads were roaring at every won free, sideline or whatever.

theskull1

Ultimately the "over emphasis" on keeping possession is showing a lack of confidence in his sides ability to win their own ball. Maybe its the right thing to do for this team but it isn't nice to look at. Waterford look rudderless at the minute
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on June 03, 2013, 10:34:39 AM
Ultimately the "over emphasis" on keeping possession is showing a lack of confidence in his sides ability to win their own ball. Maybe its the right thing to do for this team but it isn't nice to look at. Waterford look rudderless at the minute

Did it look to you like a possession type game? To me it didn't, they seemed to be under so much pressure by a poor Waterford team that they weren't able to impose that style on the game.

Yes they worked a few sidelines, but a good majority of the teams are looking to do this, maybe not just as short as Clare but they all try to work it into an advantageous position for their team mate.

deiseach

We've got serious problem up front. The backs gave us a platform to win that game easily, but when the forwards failed to take it the heads went down and Clare battered us into submission. I can't think of anyone who would have made a difference to the attack . . . usual overwrought one-eyed analysis here.

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2013, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 03, 2013, 10:34:39 AM

Did it look to you like a possession type game? To me it didn't, they seemed to be under so much pressure by a poor Waterford team that they weren't able to impose that style on the game.

Yes they worked a few sidelines, but a good majority of the teams are looking to do this, maybe not just as short as Clare but they all try to work it into an advantageous position for their team mate.

I'm all on for a possession type game, but if you revert to short passes where the receiver is in as much bother as you then its futile. Firstly the pass has to be on and it then has to be advantageous to the receiver, if its not on, give it distance especially when in your own half where a loss of possession more often than not will result in a score for the opposition.

Some of the Clare lads are hell bent on getting a pass away and causing themselves problems, granted they are a young team, nerves and uncertainty of the tactics leads to more mistakes, but they'll get crucified by the better teams for some of the stuff they tried yesterday. They play a two man fullforward line with speedsters in Honan and the McGrath, they'll work of fast balls into the spaces around them the very best and in the league games against Kilkenny they go rewards from it.
In all fairness they weren't as bad at the passing through the defence as they had been in the league games I saw them play, so maybe they have tweaked it slightly, but in the middle of the first half they weren't winning any aerial ball in the middle third apart from Conlon and hence the introduction of the 'mullocker' (Deiseach's words) Duggan to win ball, which he was partly successful at.

Davy's won his first Munster championship game with Clare and will be confident of getting one over on Cork, which he should do, but as an old scribe I met years ago in thurles pointed out to me, Clare will be hoping to win, Cork will be expecting to win.

Waterford can lick their wounds, get the journo's to seek Mullane's return and gradually build in the qualifiers for a crack at a semi-final spot later on in the year, all is not lost yet for Ryan.

waterfordlad

Quote from: deiseach on June 03, 2013, 11:07:19 AM
We've got serious problem up front. The backs gave us a platform to win that game easily, but when the forwards failed to take it the heads went down and Clare battered us into submission. I can't think of anyone who would have made a difference to the attack . . . usual overwrought one-eyed analysis here.

Good report but for the mishit Maurice Shanahan free the ball came to Seamus Prendergast (not O'Brien) when he shot over and should have got a goal. I was right behind it on the terrace and couldn't believe the net didn't shake and I think our last chance of getting back into game was gone.

deiseach

Quote from: waterfordlad on June 04, 2013, 02:55:47 PM
Good report but for the mishit Maurice Shanahan free the ball came to Seamus Prendergast (not O'Brien) when he shot over and should have got a goal. I was right behind it on the terrace and couldn't believe the net didn't shake and I think our last chance of getting back into game was gone.

Fair enough, I was a long way from it. Would have been a right sickener for Clare had that gone in!

Edit: I've updated it. And I don't think everyone agrees with your assessment of the quality of the report ;D

waterfordlad

I don't believe that your critic is not a Clare man. How many neutrals go to as many Waterford v Clare games as him and know what was allegedly said in dressing rooms last year and get so offended on Clare's behalf?

deiseach

Quote from: waterfordlad on June 05, 2013, 08:41:38 AM
I don't believe that your critic is not a Clare man. How many neutrals go to as many Waterford v Clare games as him and know what was allegedly said in dressing rooms last year and get so offended on Clare's behalf?

Aye, much of what he says seems improbable. I'm beginning to wonder whether I've had a Tyler Durden and made up the most grotesque Waterford-hating caricature myself! :o

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on June 05, 2013, 08:51:09 AM
Quote from: waterfordlad on June 05, 2013, 08:41:38 AM

Aye, much of what he says seems improbable. I'm beginning to wonder whether I've had a Tyler Durden and made up the most grotesque Waterford-hating caricature myself! :o

Imagine going to a website with a name comeonthedeise.ie and seeing a review of the game solely from a Waterford POV, shocking altogether..

What did he expect?

At least Paul Flynn saw a win over the weekend, so all isn't bad for the Blaah's at the weekend.  ;)