Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 2089154 times)

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #12240 on: September 22, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
An absolute warrior, a shame for him to have to call it a day in those circumstances.

We'll be looking at the likes of Kennedy or Kilpatrick to step up now. I know the Harte bashers will love this but I really don't see what Ben McDonnell brings ahead of some of our other midfield options.

You mean in the Pandemic or something more particular to him?

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: September 22, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
An absolute warrior, a shame for him to have to call it a day in those circumstances.

We'll be looking at the likes of Kennedy or Kilpatrick to step up now. I know the Harte bashers will love this but I really don't see what Ben McDonnell brings ahead of some of our other midfield options.

You mean in the Pandemic or something more particular to him?

Pandemic.

You'd feel sorry for guys like him and someone like Michael Murphy who probably has a few peak years left in them and have been robbed of it.

The legs had gone on Cavanagh but he will still be hard replaced.

Tyrone Gaa

• View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: September 22, 2020, 10:06:10 PM »
Colm is a true Tyrone great, huge boots to fill.

His absence may force Micky into a new system because there arenít many better in that sweeping roll. Seen some great images posted online tonight of his leap and clean catches. Under rated by many.

Thatís the last all Ireland medal out of the side now.  :-\
Living the dream!!!

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:49 PM »
You'd have thought this year would have been ideal for the older player who was considering hanging the boots up?

Localexpert

• View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: September 23, 2020, 09:19:25 AM »

It's simple really.... his presence brings the number of ballygawley parish team players in the team up.  Can't fall below 3 or the cub might be forced to drop the physio bag and put the boots on.

phpearse

• View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: September 23, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »
any new players on the Tyrone panel after the Championship?

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: September 23, 2020, 10:50:59 AM »
One of our very few leaders. Can retire with great pride. If only we could bottle his character and give it to some of the other Tyrone players. Thanks big Colm!

Im sure youíll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey Harte as well STG. Developed him into an all star footballer when most were calling for him to be dropped off the squad years ago.
f**k all to do with Harte. Any eejit could manage lads like Colm cavanagh who had a top class attitude. Don't forget he has a minor all Ireland and club all Ireland with other managers.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: September 23, 2020, 11:00:38 AM »
One of our very few leaders. Can retire with great pride. If only we could bottle his character and give it to some of the other Tyrone players. Thanks big Colm!

Im sure youíll be one of the first to give credit to Mickey Harte as well STG. Developed him into an all star footballer when most were calling for him to be dropped off the squad years ago.
f**k all to do with Harte. Any eejit could manage lads like Colm cavanagh who had a top class attitude. Don't forget he has a minor all Ireland and club all Ireland with other managers.

Harte was getting lambasted for years for sticking with him, constant cries about him only being in the side because of who his brother was.

The manager kept faith with him and Colm delivered.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: September 23, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
Exactly Angelo credit where credit is due to Harte regarding Colm Cavanagh. And obviously credit to Colm too would have been very easy to walk away himself with the stick he got.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: September 23, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
A great servant to the team down the years.
Overcame the stick he got from some idiot supporters to become a fulcrum of the team.

The timing is strange with the return of the intercounty game so soon mind you - he obviously hasnt been ramping up the training - if so it is the right decision.

Enjoy the retirement big man - owes us nothing

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #12250 on: September 23, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
A great servant to the team down the years.
Overcame the stick he got from some idiot supporters to become a fulcrum of the team.

The timing is strange with the return of the intercounty game so soon mind you - he obviously hasnt been ramping up the training - if so it is the right decision.

Enjoy the retirement big man - owes us nothing

Interview with him in the Irish news today. Injury seems to be the main reason. Probably safe to assume he wouldnít have been fit to play much part this year so maybe announcing retirement now to get it over and done with.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: September 23, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »
What's our best midfield pairing now.

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: September 23, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

You have the likes of M Donnelly and Hampsey who have played there in the past but they are better utilised elsewhere, as McKenna will be when he returns.

Richie Donnelly is the best footballer of that lot but I do worry about his pace in a big match in Croke Park. Kennedy had an ok year last time around, it was his first year at intercounty football so you have to show patience with him. Kilpatrick is very inexperienced as well. I don't think McClure or McCann are up to holding down a regular place either and I'd put McDonnell in the same bracket there. Grugan had left the panel I think but he really underwhelmed in the opportunities he was given.

In light of this I think Harte should probably be looking to bring Paudie McNulty back into the squad.

That ship has sailed.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: September 23, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »

At the minute we have:

Kennedy
Kilpatrick
R Donnelly
McDonnell
C McCann
McClure

That ship has sailed.

In what way?

Are there better midfielders in the county available right now than McNulty? He's 28/29?

Coney and Grugan are two examples of players who were given a second chance, McCurry and Bradley have returned to the squad after a year out.

As far as I know McNulty stepped away from the panel as he wanted to sort out a back issue.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:21:37 PM by Angelo »

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: September 23, 2020, 12:35:00 PM »
He won't go back to Tyrone. Maybe best to look at other options.