Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 1633416 times)

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #10485 on: August 13, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
Disappointing on Sunday to be in the situation we where in at half time to to beaten more or less with ten minutes to go.... I see a few complaints about Peter Harte be fouled for the full game!! Did any off you watch Connor Meyler he fouled the full game......Kerry in first half looked completely clueless but when they introduced Sherwood and White at half time in the middle section of the field we got destroyed Colm and Ritchie got completely over run which in my eyes was the major factor on how we lost the game by the time Mattie came to that area off the field the game was over,we where so slow to make that change to try and counter act what Kerry had done.....I dont think we have enough natural footballers that make the correct decisions at the right time and cant see how that can be cured in the near future,i could be wrong but we are at least 2 defenders,1 midfielder and 2 forwards short to have a team with the correct balance to win an All Ireland...

Meyler, McGeary and Richie Donnelly are not really inter county standard. Meyler in particular, no natural footballing ability. Great engine though - would be better suited to Iron mans.
Mickey Harte has had 3+ years with this team and still doesn't know his best side. Chops and changes certain players (relations not included). Hasn't developed any attacking threat or gameplan. TCB must get rid.

There is a space in a county squad for what Meyler can do - I agree he's not likely to win a game on his own, but he's created a little niche for himself as the Lee Keegan Lite of Tyrone. I think he does a good job of suffocating opposition players to be honest and probably the most athletic player in the panel with a bit of niggle in him.

Ritchie Donnelly could be anything he wants to be, I think there is a player there but on the very biggest of stages obviously he's to prove that.

McGeary seems to be the scapegoat for Sunday. He wasn't brilliant - I don't know if I would name him on my own starting 15 for Sunday but sure I don't watch trainings etc so that's just bluster.

Meyler of the above is only really a certain starter though if fit I think. I'm not looking at these lads for Sunday. I'm looking at the untouchables. McNamee, Mattie Donnelly, Niall Sludden, Peter Harte, Colm Cavanagh, McShane.

If we are being honest, 1 of the above stood up in my opinon, really. That was McShane the rest played well in first half but were bettered when Kerry got their act together. That's not good enough.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: August 13, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
Harsh on McGeary heís a class act. He was poor on Sunday no doubt but I guess thatís the black and white social media world we live in  A bad game nowadays means youíre totally useless.

The reality is the best players in the county are in the county squad. Club games over the next few weeks will show there isnít any other sticky corner backs or a Brian Fenton or high scoring forwards that arenít involved in the county set up.

Christmas Lights

• Credo Elvem Etiam Vivere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: August 13, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Harsh on McGeary heís a class act. He was poor on Sunday no doubt but I guess thatís the black and white social media world we live in  A bad game nowadays means youíre totally useless.

The reality is the best players in the county are in the county squad. Club games over the next few weeks will show there isnít any other sticky corner backs or a Brian Fenton or high scoring forwards that arenít involved in the county set up.

I tend to agree here, I dont think there is anyone who is good enough to be on the county panel not on it currently.  The current squad is probably the best we got unless someone else can make a recommendation of a player who is not there who might add something?  We lost Bradley this year as well.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
I'd say you'll see a few pop into the equation over the next few weeks at club level. You just never know.

This time last year Matthew Murnaghan was fairly unknown.....probably one of the best players in the Senior Championship.

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: August 13, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »

Lee Brennan kicked 1-8 on Saturday and would Def have been worth a run on Sunday to play off Mc Shane and Mattie.

skeog

• View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: August 13, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
Starred club matches pretty meaningless now if he could replicate that in the first round of championship recall would be in order.

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: August 13, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Talk about low attendances very few from a neutral county would have any desire to watch us play..... Take the minute or so up up to half time in the last 2 all Ireland semi finals we have been in,we just kept the ball with no desire off kicking on and nailing another score before the whistle....i go to most games sometimes i ask myself why, it is that boring which in turn cannot create any atmosphere...i am considering watching on TV from here on in it will we cheaper if nothing else....  I am on my own thinking like this??

No you aren't on your own, this is why i think attendances will get worse next year again. I spent around 1k following Tyrone this year and even that was probably done on the cheap. I suppose a fool and his money are soon parted. It certainly would be a lot cheaper to just head to the pub and watch it on TV.  I feel like the only thing that would renew my interest for next season would be a change of management.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:00:40 PM by clarshack »

The Trap

• View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: August 13, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
What about Mugsy? Headline rubbishing what Sean Cavanagh said and then his article slating Tyrone. He should join the DUP as he can talk out of both sides of his mouth!

Club boi

• View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: August 13, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
completely agree...I watched the Meyler - OShea matchup the whole first half and Meyler gave him some abuse...Oshea seemed able to handle it..and give it back and even blocked some of meylers runs up the field...Peter unfortunately has been too easily taken out of most of Tyrones big games now.....

Meyler done to O'Shea what was being done to PH all game. Difference being O'Shea (younger) has a bigger set than PH and is up for the fight. Too many times now PH goes missing in these big games and management have to take some flack for that

In reference to the time Deegan watched PH being manhandled, all Harte had to do was show some fight back and get both men a yellow card. Kerry man darnt put the hands on him at that stage

WT4E

• View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: August 13, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »
Are we that bad that if we played with 5 forwards instead of 2 we would be hammered of the park???

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »
If you watch back that game, it is absolutely staggering that we lost it.

I had kind of fooled myself into think thinking we collapsed in the second half and let Kerry dominate which was not the case. In the 52nd minute we were 2 points up and Kerry had closed the gap thanks to 3 ridiculous awards of free kicks, in that time we had four absolutely terrible wides, one from Sludden 30 yards out in front on the posts under little pressure, another free 35 yards out from McShane just left of centre, a 25 yard effort from McShane just right of centre after he lost his man and a Donnelly shot rushed off his left when he had more space to run into. Kerry up to that point had only scored two scores from play in the second half and one of those was a very good score from Sherwood which was a rather hopeful punt when they were running out of ideas.

After that Walsh came in and he gave them a real focal point from play and he set up two points from play to level it up but even then we were in charge, McGeary has made a great surge through but ends up just having a nosebleed and chucking the ball to O'Brien where the goal comes about. Geaney should certainly have been pulled up for overplaying the ball too, he takes an absolute age with it.

As much as McGeary will be scapegoated for the loss, he did a fantastic job on O'Brien up to that point, O'Brien was picked up by McGeary all game and had no impact really until the goal and he was the main man from then on. McGeary was hooked pretty much straight after the goal for Tiernan McCann who looked well off the pace - he gave a really silly free away in the second half.

Sludden and McGeary both were whisked off after poor errors, Sludden after a miss and McGeary after the poor pass but they had been playing well until then and can feel themselves hard done by.

I don't really get all the plaudits David Moran got after the game, he was pretty much a peripheral figure in proceedings and I thought Michael Cassidy did a fantastic job on him. We had a spell near the end where we were 5 points down and Meyler, McAliskey and McKernan gave away 3 daft frees which allowed Kerry to kill momentum.

I can't understand how we just let Kerry have the short kickouts for the last 10 or so minutes including injury time. We pressed up full on one, McCann intercepted it and Richie Donnelly took a nice score. The last 3 kickouts we let Kerr

Geaney and Clifford hit a few savage scores late on when the game was in the melting pot, we only really had McShane standing up in that regard.

The ball was only in play for about 3 minutes in injury time so I would have expected Deegan to have played another few minutes more than he did.

We are very poor at putting pressure on teams when they are playing keep ball, we give away way too many silly frees that allows the opposition to kill time.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: August 13, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »
Still can't believe either that we pi$$ed that one away. Haven't felt as bad after a game since Mayo 2016.

Club boi

• View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: August 13, 2019, 08:38:06 PM »
Still can't believe either that we pi$$ed that one away. Haven't felt as bad after a game since Mayo 2016.

I like many many others dont feel bad at all, because when you do the same thing over and over, you get the same results

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: August 13, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
Anyone else think this game was lost on Saturday night?

Mickey would have gone to bed knowing that The Hill gloriously stopped the Aghaloo runaway train in the junior division on Saturday evening, yet no bus arrived on Sunday morning to draft a few of them onto the panel for the Kerry match.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: August 13, 2019, 08:44:53 PM »

I like many many others dont feel bad at all, because when you do the same thing over and over, you get the same results

Should get a boy like you in next to manage the team then as you clearly know best. If you canít see the tactics evolving in recent years itís a worrying start though.