Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 636901 times)

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #4515 on: July 17, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
Is there a throw in time set for the quarterfinal yet?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

The Golden Years

• View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: July 17, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
If Mickey drops Aidan MCrory and is a bit more adventurous and plays the likes of Brennan who can defend and attack  then Tyrone will be there or abouts. For someone who hasn't an attacking bone in his body McCrory plays in a very offensive role.

The Golden Years

• View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: July 17, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Sean taken off yesterday due to yellow card

He took some aggreivation yesterday

A second yellow  or red would mean that he wouldn't be allowed to lift the cup

I think he was taking off because he wasn't having a great game.  mcCarron was also on a yellow card from early on and he wasnt taking off and he was playing a position that picking up a yellow card could curtail your performance.  Its the way it should be, if your under performing, your taking off no matter who you are.  Especially with the strong panel tyrone have.

Tyrone Gaa

• View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: July 17, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »

I think he was taking off because he wasn't having a great game.  mcCarron was also on a yellow card from early on and he wasnt taking off and he was playing a position that picking up a yellow card could curtail your performance.  Its the way it should be, if your under performing, your taking off no matter who you are.  Especially with the strong panel tyrone have.

Using McCarron as an example only adds to the argument made that a second yellow wouldn't permit Sean to lift the cup.  McCarron was subsequently red carded and left the game early.

Although I would agree that Sean wasn't having the best of games by his exceptional standards.  He still had 2 points and most of the game attracted 2 down players anywhere he went.
Living the dream!!!

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: July 17, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »

Using McCarron as an example only adds to the argument made that a second yellow wouldn't permit Sean to lift the cup.  McCarron was subsequently red carded and left the game early.

Although I would agree that Sean wasn't having the best of games by his exceptional standards.  He still had 2 points and most of the game attracted 2 down players anywhere he went.

Thats the key here.
He creates a lot of space for other players because 2 defenders go with him.

Probably no need for MH to try to fix something that isnt broken

mick999

• View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: July 17, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

Yes, According to gaa.ie, Tyrone are on Sat 5th August, (Double header with the Dubs) with Hurling semi on the Sunday.
First 2 football Quarters are on the 30th July:

SUN 30 JUL

GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship
Quarter-Final (A) Roscommon TBC Round 4A Winner Broadcasting on RTE
Quarter Final (A) Kerry TBC Round 4A Winner Broadcasting on RTE

SAT 5 AUG

Quarter-Final (B) Dublin TBC Round 4B Winner Broadcasting on Sky Sports
Quarter-Final (B) Tyrone TBC Round 4B Winner Broadcasting on Sky Sports

SUN 6 AUG

GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship
Semi-Final Galway TBC Quarter-Final Winner

Ty4Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: July 17, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »
So Dublin on first and then Tyrone? Can't see the powers that be allow that to happen.

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: July 17, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »

Yes, According to gaa.ie, Tyrone are on Sat 5th August, (Double header with the Dubs) with Hurling semi on the Sunday.
First 2 football Quarters are on the 30th July:

SUN 30 JUL

Quarter-Final (A) Roscommon TBC Round 4A Winner Broadcasting on RTE
Quarter Final (A) Kerry TBC Round 4A Winner Broadcasting on RTE

SAT 5 AUG

Quarter-Final (B) Dublin TBC Round 4B Winner Broadcasting on Sky Sports
Quarter-Final (B) Tyrone TBC Round 4B Winner Broadcasting on Sky Sports

SUN 6 AUG

GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship
Semi-Final Galway TBC Quarter-Final Winner

Yeah I know the date. I was seeking throw in time.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: July 17, 2017, 08:43:53 PM »
Nearly sure the quarters last year started at 4 and 6. Should be the same this year?

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: July 17, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
Nearly sure the quarters last year started at 4 and 6. Should be the same this year?

Thanks

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: July 18, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
This is Mickey Harte's 15th season in charge of the Tyrone team. Interesting to look at our record over that time. In 6 of the years (2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2017) we won the ulster titles. In two other years that we didn't win the ulster we went on to win the All Ireland (2005 and 2008). In a further two years we reached the All Ireland semi final through the back door (2013 and 2015). So in 10 out of the 15 years he has been manager we have either won the all Ireland, an ulster title or got to the All Ireland semi final. In a further two years we reached a quarter final.

When you consider where we came from before he took over and if you look round at the rest of the counties in ulster that is a serious record. It was crazy that he didn't get reappointed by the county board when he asked for an extension last year. From the outside looking in there appeared to be an itch to get rid of him from some within the county board particularly before the run in 2015.

Some of the main points of complaints on here have been:
Lack of scores - we have averaged 23 points this championship which is probably an ulster championship record for us.
Mickey dominates club fixtures - 9 games played to date with the county players on board. Might even be another one this weekend. I'd say that matches and betters most counties in Ireland.
Not enough east Tyrone men on the team - seems to have increased in recent years. Hampsey McClure Mulgrew Morgan McCurry Cavanaghs x 2 all featured.

Judging by Sunday it seems the majority of the county are back behind the team. Hopefully it stays that way as we continue to go through a great period in Tyrone gaa history. Lets hope for a big finish to the year now and we don't have any flat performances in croke park like last year.

WT4E

• View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: July 18, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
With Sean Cavanagh under performing this year and not playing as a team player at times is it time for him to be dropped? Could be a useful impact sub but would take big balls to drop him at this stage in his final season.

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:56 AM »
With Sean Cavanagh under performing this year and not playing as a team player at times is it time for him to be dropped? Could be a useful impact sub but would take big balls to drop him at this stage in his final season.

You'd still hope big Sean can turn it on and not be holding him in reserve.

omagh_gael

• '03, '05 + '08...not bad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: July 18, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
There is logic in holding him back for the last 25 minutes considering his form of late but he does keep the opposition defence busy and, IMO, thrives in Croke Park. He is the epitome of the big game player and I'm sure his performance will get better from now on.

On a side note, big day for my adopted home club. We (Loughmacrory) are hosting the media launch of the All Ireland series this afternoon from our clubrooms. GAA president will be there along with representatives from all the Provincial winning teams. Although, I popped over to the club this morning and there was word that Kerry won't have a rep there. Something about being too far away, but we all know they dung themselves at the sight of the red hands!

Fuzzman

• Aughabrack (Tyrone Not Cork)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: July 18, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
I agree it's a big call whether to hold back Sean or not and in general I think no he should start, but my main argument was that should we meet the Dubs in the semi, it could be a huge boost to the team knowing that after 50 mins he was coming in fresh. He would be really chomping at the bit to get on and lift his team in that crucial final 20 mins where the Dubs usually unleash their cavalry to push them over the line.
Mickey has used his more natural scoring forwards as subs in the last 15-20 mins of games and so rather than Sean being pulled and dragged all game he would be coming in fresh and with a point to prove.

Good discussion RHSanta and too many of us forget those days when Tyrone were NOT a dominant force even in Ulster and so getting to Croke park was only a rare experience. Now we expect to at least make a quarterfinal every year.

I think the county board we right to hold off though to see would we come out of the shadow of Donegal (and maybe Monaghan) in Ulster. I think Mickey has listened a bit to the Tyrone people's views and has changed his ways a bit.
He brought in a new younger backroom team and we are playing a much more enjoyable brand of football this year I feel and are not so one dimensional. Other years you would expect them to always to short kick-outs and always to run the ball whereas this year there is some more long balls being kicked in.

Of course, should we lose the next game or against the Dubs then there will be those doubters again who just want him out no matter what he did but I can definitely say I've enjoyed watching our games a lot more this year than last year and there seems to be a feeling again that progress has been made.