Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: tyroneboi on January 02, 2015, 05:53:36 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 02, 2015, 02:44:18 PM
Do they announce the line ups for the McKenna Cup in advance or is it on the day?

I think they normally do name the team in advance for McKenna Cup - maybe just with new years they havent done so for this match. Are you waiting patiently to hear if Cathal McShane will be starting?

Something like that alright Tyroneboi.

I've something else on on Sunday but would rejig if he was starting. Don't want to change a pile of plans if he only gets 5 or 10 minutes.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

superstar_

Tyrone (McKenna Cup v Armagh)
1. Niall Morgan (Edendork);
2. Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran),
3. Ronan McNamee (Aghyaran),
4. Cathal McCarron (Dromore);
5. Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher),
6. Ryan McKenna (Eglish),
7. Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran);
8. Colm Cavanagh (Moy),
9. Padraig McNulty (Dungannon);
10. PJ Lavery (Clonoe),
11. Kyle Coney (Ardboe),
12. Peter Hughes (Eskra);
13. Darren McCurry (Edendork),
14. Sean Cavanagh (Moy),
15. Shea McGuigan (Ardboe).

Subs: Michael O'Neill (Clonoe), Rory Brennan (Trillick), Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Plunkett, Kane (Coalisland), Connor McAliskey (Clonoe), Emmett McKenna (Eglish), Niall McKenna (Donaghmore), Cathal McShane (Owen Roes), Dwayne Quinn (Clonoe), Patrick Quinn (Dungannon).

Sean Cavanagh at 14 is the big thing to take from the team, sign for the rest of the year maybe?

Archie Mitchell

Would like to have seen more of the new faces get as much game time as possible during the McKenna Cup as well as others who need to establish themselves. What is the point in playing the Cavanagh's, Harte etc when we already know what they can do?

Gaffer

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on January 03, 2015, 08:11:44 PM
Would like to have seen more of the new faces get as much game time as possible during the McKenna Cup as well as others who need to establish themselves. What is the point in playing the Cavanagh's, Harte etc when we already know what they can do?

The point is to try and win the goddam game!!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Gaffer on January 03, 2015, 08:50:00 PM

The point is to try and win the goddam game!!!!!

It done Tyrone a lot of good stuffing Armagh last year in McKenna cup then get humiliated when it really mattered in the championship. Surely this competition should be treated as a way of finding out if new players are suited to Inter County football, and if they win that's a bonus, but it shouldn't be about winning it for the sake of it. I'd like to see a settled team for league as playing Division 1 football much more important than winning a McKenna Cup!

The Bearded One

It's all about balance, you can't just launch a team of young fellas in and expect them to hit the ground running. You need to surround them with established County footballers who will help them settle and hopefully bring out their best talents. Sending out a team of new faces, especially against the likes of Armagh, will benefit no one.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Redhand Santa

If Tyrone weren't going out to try and win these games I'd rather we pulled out of the competition. Harte is using a similar policy as he did when Tyrone were successful and people didn't have a problem then. Armagh have a strong team out and are the toughest opponents in the group so Tyrone need a decent lineup.

At the end of the day whoever wins today will have no impact on a meeting later in the year. But in my opinion it's nice to go out and win these games and try to win the competition. That's what sport is about, especially when your playing Armagh.

Fuzzman

Any of ye at the match want to give us a run down on who played well and who didn't
How did Padraig McNulty do at MF?

Was it the usual slow build up or any long balls kicked into Sean. I hope Sean stays at FF for the season cos whilst he is great at running with the ball he is creates havoc in there and knows how to win a free. McCurry and any other CF will benefit with a ball winner at FF I think

How did the defence fair?
What age is young McShane and what's his best position? what's he good at?

supersarsfields

Norf will give you a better answer but from what I saw of McShane it's all positive. Very quick and mobile and makes very intelligent runs. Not a small guy either so can win his own ball (Prob does need to bulk up a bit but he's still young). Seemed to be very good at coming out and winning balls, turning and going towards goal. Shooting was strong as well. Definitely the best talent I saw all year in D3. And I would hope he'll get better.

W.A.G. Lover

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 06, 2015, 03:29:00 PM
Any of ye at the match want to give us a run down on who played well and who didn't
How did Padraig McNulty do at MF?

Was it the usual slow build up or any long balls kicked into Sean. I hope Sean stays at FF for the season cos whilst he is great at running with the ball he is creates havoc in there and knows how to win a free. McCurry and any other CF will benefit with a ball winner at FF I think

How did the defence fair?
What age is young McShane and what's his best position? what's he good at?

I wasnt at the game but from what I was told McNulty was didnt make much of an impact. The red card for C.Cavanagh left him tussling round the middle on his own, it wasnt a true reflection - another game would give a better indication.

I also hear McCurry was played in a more withdrawn role - can anyone shed any light on this? I thought he would be the ideal man playing alongside a ball winner like S.Cavanagh!?

I hear McShane came on and held his own which is positive news. Just goes to show there is quality players outside the top tier, and some who may never have gotten the chance yet!?

Tyrone Gaa

Mc Nulty did well for his debut.  Whilst he didn't catch much clean ball he did make sure and get a good fist on any 50/50 ball.  He had a goal opportunity which was well saved by the Armagh Keeper.

As for McShane, he played approx. 7 mins.  He put himself about, possibly could of picked up a black card with a blatant foul to stop a prominent Armagh attack but escaped with a yellow (probably because the Armagh man didn't go to ground).  Took a good score.  I'd expect him to play against St Mary's give him a chance to shine. 

Both men I feel would be reasonably happy for the time they had on the pitch
Living the dream!!!

winghalfback

Dwayne Quinn Padraig Mc Nulty and Cathal Mc Shane have all featured in the 3 games played to date. Any of these players going to feature come championship time considering their performances so far?

Redhand Santa

Decent start by the new boys so far. Thought Quinn was tackling hard before going off at half time so assume he was injured. Mcnulty seems to be improving with games. Wouldn't be surprised if either of them got time come championship but it's early days yet. Pj lavery came on and looks very keen to get involved which i like in him. Small but definitely a classy player.

Sounds like Harte will go for a strong team on Wednesday, might not be far away from his league team. It'll need to be strong as I'd expect a fairly high tempo physical game on Wednesday for McKenna cup. Definitely one to look forward too more than the average McKenna cup game.

maco

Anybody hear any reports from the Tyrone camp about 4 high profile players being dropped from the NFL panel?

WeeDonns

Quote from: maco on January 27, 2015, 11:25:34 AM
Anybody hear any reports from the Tyrone camp about 4 high profile players being dropped from the NFL panel?
Contribute to the discussion and tell us what you've heard, otherwise your input is pointless