Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Colm is a nice fellow and thought of very highly among supporters for he is liketh a young bounding gazelle, and last year probably was the best club midfielder in Tyrone ahead of his brother Sean .  Its a glass half full half empty debate though.  In his biggest and best game last year again Mayo he played that hospital ball to Petie Harte and Harte ended up in hospital.  He then clattered Gormley and took him out with sheer awkwardness to leave the way open for the penalty... Goal!!!  The nickname "Colm the clatter" is unfair, as it was pure exuberance and maybe the two main reasons why Tyrone lost.  We have been here now and its time to learn.  Even on a good day such clattering can really be important factors in Tyrone losing games.  He deserves his panel place more than anyone though. I think one year on If Tyrone had better footballers on the field they would have won last years all Ireland.  Now we have so lets stick with it and not break it up just yet.   This years team is flying lets not change it too much to accommodate last years players, and if we are honest some of them boys last year were not good enough to start an all ireland final.   There is no need to change just yet as hey stop the pony we are winning.  If you disagree with all these big winning margins can you suggest what an appropriate winning margin might be before you would be happy to stick with the team that are winning.  Give the young boys the chance.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: rrhf on January 23, 2014, 12:03:35 AM
Colm is a nice fellow and thought of very highly among supporters for he is liketh a young bounding gazelle, and last year probably was the best club midfielder in Tyrone ahead of his brother Sean .  Its a glass half full half empty debate though.  In his biggest and best game last year again Mayo he played that hospital ball to Petie Harte and Harte ended up in hospital.  He then clattered Gormley and took him out with sheer awkwardness to leave the way open for the penalty... Goal!!!  The nickname "Colm the clatter" is unfair, as it was pure exuberance and maybe the two main reasons why Tyrone lost.  We have been here now and its time to learn.  Even on a good day such clattering can really be important factors in Tyrone losing games.  He deserves his panel place more than anyone though. I think one year on If Tyrone had better footballers on the field they would have won last years all Ireland.  Now we have so lets stick with it and not break it up just yet.   This years team is flying lets not change it too much to accommodate last years players, and if we are honest some of them boys last year were not good enough to start an all ireland final.   There is no need to change just yet as hey stop the pony we are winning.  If you disagree with all these big winning margins can you suggest what an appropriate winning margin might be before you would be happy to stick with the team that are winning.  Give the young boys the chance.

rrhf bit of a mixed message, for his club last year your right in saying he was probably the best performing midfielder in the club championship.  Moy dominated midfield in all their games, obviously Ryan Mellon played his part and isn't a bad partner to back a man up.  As for Tyrone, Colm is well worth his place, in fact there is nobody in the county even to put up a challenge.  McKenna has certain qualities but doesn't have the physical presence.  I've seen Colm play against McKenna in the past and it wasn't even a contest, Colm dominated him.  Cassidy has been in and out but lacks mobility.  Micky Harte has deployed Colm as a defensive midfielder and his role seems to be to put himself about and break up the momentum of the opposition.  In my opinion Colm Cavanagh is the best fielder in the county ahead of Sean.  Hope to see him back for the league as he continues to mature as an inter-county footballer.
Living the dream!!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on January 23, 2014, 10:27:40 AM
Quote from: rrhf on January 23, 2014, 12:03:35 AM

rrhf bit of a mixed message, for his club last year your right in saying he was probably the best performing midfielder in the club championship.  Moy dominated midfield in all their games, obviously Ryan Mellon played his part and isn't a bad partner to back a man up.  As for Tyrone, Colm is well worth his place, in fact there is nobody in the county even to put up a challenge.  McKenna has certain qualities but doesn't have the physical presence.  I've seen Colm play against McKenna in the past and it wasn't even a contest, Colm dominated him.  Cassidy has been in and out but lacks mobility.  Micky Harte has deployed Colm as a defensive midfielder and his role seems to be to put himself about and break up the momentum of the opposition.  In my opinion Colm Cavanagh is the best fielder in the county ahead of Sean.  Hope to see him back for the league as he continues to mature as an inter-county footballer.

As I said before, Ronan Lafferty is probably the best fielder and most physical midfielder in the county.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Knock Yer Mucker In

The best fielder in the county bar none is Colm Doris. He has given some exhibitions of fielding over the years.

Under Lights

Do we really have anyone that could compete with MDMA in MF. I personally think we don't.
That's the benchmark.

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on January 23, 2014, 12:57:26 PM
The best fielder in the county bar none is Colm Doris. He has given some exhibitions of fielding over the years.

Put Colm Dorris in a hop ball with Colm Cavanagh I know who I would have my money on.  Colm Dorris is a quality player but plays half forward and is targeted by Clonoe with most of their kickouts.  So he would be fielding against a half back most of the time.
Living the dream!!!

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Under Lights on January 23, 2014, 01:57:09 PM
Do we really have anyone that could compete with MDMA in MF. I personally think we don't.
That's the benchmark.

I don't think we have anyone that has the work rate MDMA brings to a game.  He is box to box for the full 70mins.  He does set the benchmark id agree there especially after this year.  It does help that he has Cluxton hitting him with perfect balls 70/80% of the time
Living the dream!!!

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on January 23, 2014, 01:59:22 PM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on January 23, 2014, 12:57:26 PM

Put Colm Dorris in a hop ball with Colm Cavanagh I know who I would have my money on.  Colm Dorris is a quality player but plays half forward and is targeted by Clonoe with most of their kickouts.  So he would be fielding against a half back most of the time.

Pity there isn't a pile of hop balls in a game

hugh the root

To those people who are criticising Colm Kavanagh . I beseech you to stay at home and play some board game preferably snakes and ladders.Big Kavanagh is one of the top players in the county and the club championship highlighted that in abundance.

smort

Wee Roddy

He was very poor against Carrickmore after a strong first 10 and midfield is far from Carmens strong point. He is a good player but far he is a long way from the best club midfielder in Tyrone

God14

To be honest Colm is one of the first names id put on the teamsheet. He's by no means MDMA but he is in my opinion one of the top 2 all round midfielders we have available in the county
We might have better fielders of the ball than him, we might have more mobile midfielders, we might have better ball playing midfielders etc, but when you take all those characteristics and average them out - he is deserving of starting 15 place. Its up to some of the younger lads now to try and take that No.8 jersey off him

hugh the root

I have not seen anybody gutsier than big Colly.I am an admirer of footballers who are not afraid to put in a bit of welly

sensethetone

i'd start colly k i know he tries to catch the ball with one hand and with the black card he could get sent off handy enough but when playing his best he's a very good footballer, goals he scored againist cork and monaghan were brilliant.

rrhf

With colum we know he is good. I think we have to let others develop to that level.  We done the same with him.