Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 2158472 times)

redzone

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #12465 on: October 25, 2020, 06:21:16 PM »
Surely meyler has to be dropped after them 2 games. He was diabolical, near cost us today again. I'd have raffertty on mchugh. Murphy is near unmarkable anyway so maybe a spoiler on him, Ben mxdonnell maybe.
A complete contrast today when we moved the ball quickly with the foot compared to last weeks lateral keep the ball. Mckenna has been brilliant

Meyler was poor today alright, there was one stage in the second half where he got the ball around the 45 yard line, the Mayo defence was MIA and had a straight run right down the middle of the goal for some reason started running over towards the corner away from goal. It was bizarre as another goal and that stage would have killed the game.

Meyler is a dog for work and he does bring benefits to the team but he hasn't really developed as a footballer, looks a player fairly low on confidence at the minute but he does have the engine and pace to match McHugh and we don't have many of those in the team.
Surely things like that in his game are flagged and are shown to him to try and make him better. There was a def a point if not a goal to be had today if he went straight down the middle that time. Same last week, headed to the corner flag instead of laying of to a runner coming in of his shoulder, got bottled up and kicked down the sideline and donegal turned it over and got there last goal of it. Same in the allireland final, ran out over the sideline with the ball rather than face the Dublin tackle, they scored a goal straight of the sideline ball. Dropped the ball when through at the start for a goal today. Seems to be undroppable along with hampsey and mccann

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: October 25, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
Should that not have been a straight red for keegans challenge on donnelly on the stroke of half time?

Yes thought so too. Itís a cheap shot that never ever gets punished.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: October 25, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »
Surely meyler has to be dropped after them 2 games. He was diabolical, near cost us today again. I'd have raffertty on mchugh. Murphy is near unmarkable anyway so maybe a spoiler on him, Ben mxdonnell maybe.
A complete contrast today when we moved the ball quickly with the foot compared to last weeks lateral keep the ball. Mckenna has been brilliant

Meyler was poor today alright, there was one stage in the second half where he got the ball around the 45 yard line, the Mayo defence was MIA and had a straight run right down the middle of the goal for some reason started running over towards the corner away from goal. It was bizarre as another goal and that stage would have killed the game.

Meyler is a dog for work and he does bring benefits to the team but he hasn't really developed as a footballer, looks a player fairly low on confidence at the minute but he does have the engine and pace to match McHugh and we don't have many of those in the team.
Surely things like that in his game are flagged and are shown to him to try and make him better. There was a def a point if not a goal to be had today if he went straight down the middle that time. Same last week, headed to the corner flag instead of laying of to a runner coming in of his shoulder, got bottled up and kicked down the sideline and donegal turned it over and got there last goal of it. Same in the allireland final, ran out over the sideline with the ball rather than face the Dublin tackle, they scored a goal straight of the sideline ball. Dropped the ball when through at the start for a goal today. Seems to be undroppable along with hampsey and mccann

Thought McCann was a lot better today. Our half back options have gone a bit stale, the O'Neill injury is a shame as he did well today.

Burns, McGeary, McCann, McKernan have all been pretty average of late. Brennan and Rafferty have been doing well in the corners so I'd leave them there. We have plenty of options in the half back line but none of them are really putting their hand up and making themselves undroppable.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: October 25, 2020, 06:33:23 PM »
Thought Kennedy did really well in the first half but was noticeably tiring before he came off.

Coney was poor when he came in.

Tyrone Gaa

• View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: October 25, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
Thought Kennedy did really well in the first half but was noticeably tiring before he came off.

Kyle Coney isnít the answer. He has zero work rate. Ardboe allow him to play a quarter back roll and prance around and look out passes. You canít get away with that at inter county level. I donít even think he gets away with it at club level.

He has all the skills and talent but not the effort to make it work
Living the dream!!!

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: October 25, 2020, 06:57:50 PM »

Kyle Coney isnít the answer. He has zero work rate. Ardboe allow him to play a quarter back roll and prance around and look out passes. You canít get away with that at inter county level. I donít even think he gets away with it at club level.

I think we have now reached a stage next year where the squad is undoubtedly good enough for an All Ireland (with a full hand at its disposal).

McKenna and McShane back and guys like Harte, Donnelly, Bradley, McCurry, Canavan, Sludden, McAliskey, Brennan, Bradley, Donaghy available then for the first time I think we have a forward line that can mix it with your Dublin, Kerry and Donegals.

We do have issues in our half back line and midfield but I think we should be able to sort these.

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: October 25, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
Wasnít there posters on here saying that Conor McKenna wouldnít be able to just slot into the side and make a difference?

They're the same people who will continue to push the narrative that Tyrone can't beat big teams. They'll be quiet for a while after this.

As far as I can remember Tyrone have not beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in about 7 years in championship football.

Goals_Will_Come

• View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: October 25, 2020, 07:17:17 PM »

I think we have now reached a stage next year where the squad is undoubtedly good enough for an All Ireland (with a full hand at its disposal).

McKenna and McShane back and guys like Harte, Donnelly, Bradley, McCurry, Canavan, Sludden, McAliskey, Brennan, Bradley, Donaghy available then for the first time I think we have a forward line that can mix it with your Dublin, Kerry and Donegals.

We do have issues in our half back line and midfield but I think we should be able to sort these.
Very optimistic and it looks good on paper. But with Harte still over the team will he be adventurous enough to play as many attacking players as he can?
Also Donnelly and Harte will be 31 next year, so coming towards their end in the next few years and can you really see McAliskey and Brennan being involved?

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #12473 on: October 25, 2020, 07:25:04 PM »
Wasnít there posters on here saying that Conor McKenna wouldnít be able to just slot into the side and make a difference?

They're the same people who will continue to push the narrative that Tyrone can't beat big teams. They'll be quiet for a while after this.

As far as I can remember Tyrone have not beat Mayo, Kerry or Dublin in about 7 years in championship football.
Itís longer than that?
Iíd look to your username for the answer.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:33:08 PM by hardstation »

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12474 on: October 25, 2020, 07:29:15 PM »

Very optimistic and it looks good on paper. But with Harte still over the team will he be adventurous enough to play as many attacking players as he can?
Also Donnelly and Harte will be 31 next year, so coming towards their end in the next few years and can you really see McAliskey and Brennan being involved?

I genuinely think with McKenna and McShane available it will force Harte's hand to be more adventurous. Donnelly was flying today, he seems to have came back from that injury really well, both are still 29, they turn 30 in November and December respectively so we should knock another 2/3 years out of them.

I'd be playing Harte close to goal from now, I think he's a good ball winner, he has got that burst of pace and eye for goal and is comfortable off both feet. I think he's an ideal foil for McShane in there. McKenna should be given a free role on the 40 and I think McCurry has done a good job in a roving role this year, getting on the ball, linking play and taking scores. Bradley played his best football for Tyrone so far at 11 so I'd utilise him similarly.

Whether McAliskey and Brennan come back is probably up to them. Ronan O'Neill came back in and he'd definitely be behind them for a place if it came to it so that really depends on the desire for both of these players to come back, work hard and fight for a place. I don't really have an awful lot of sympathy for Lee Brennan, he's got to want that jersey as much as the guys he's competing with a spot for or he won't get but we know his talent. The last time he was in he threw a strop when he fell behind in the pecking order. We have had guys like Bradley, McCurry, McAliskey and O'Neill there battling it out for 1/2 places between them so he's go to show an improvement in attitude.

Is Harte the right man for the job? I don't know but you look across the county right now and see if you can tell me if we have a real standout option to replace him?

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12475 on: October 25, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »

Itís longer than that?

Possibly but you have to consider up to 2014 it was the old guard team with the likes of O'Neill, Carlin, Gormley and that ilk. 2015 marked the start of this Tyrone side really, since then we've been eliminated by Dublin twice convincingly, Kerry twice and Mayo once in much tighter affairs.

Were we a better team than Kerry or Mayo in that time? Did we have better players? Debatable.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #12476 on: October 25, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
I thought Tyrone hadnít beaten any of those teams since 2008?

As for the current lot, I still think they should have had Kerry beaten last year. There was a defeat to Mayo in which Tyrone were the better team too.
Dublin are a bit beyond them.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: October 25, 2020, 07:41:55 PM »
I thought Tyrone hadnít beaten any of those teams since 2008?

As for the current lot, I still think they should have had Kerry beaten last year. There was a defeat to Mayo in which Tyrone were the better team too.
Dublin are a bit beyond them.

We lost to Kerry in 2015 and 2019 by 3 points each time.
We lost to Mayo in 2016 by a point.

We arguably could won all those games, the two games against Kerry we were absolutely rode by Maurice Deegan, we missed a huge amount of chances in the 2015 match to win that game.
In 2016 Mayo edged us out but we had loads of opportunities near the end to draw that game but couldn't take them.

I would say the marginal differences on those was a quality difference.

From 2015-2019 I don't think we underachieved too much - 2016 is the only year we never made it to the SF stage and that's when Mayo pipped us and very nearly took Dublin in the final.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #12478 on: October 25, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
I didnít think the question was about Tyrone underachieving. I donít think they have underachieved. It was whether they can beat the 3 other big teams in the championship.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: October 25, 2020, 07:57:51 PM »
I didnít think the question was about Tyrone underachieving. I donít think they have underachieved. It was whether they can beat the 3 other big teams in the championship.

That's fair but nobody has beaten Dublin since Donegal in 2014 so check those two off.

Next we're 0/2 against Kerry and 0/1 against Mayo. Hardly a huge pool to confirm that theory.

Thirdly now we have McKenna back, he's hardly back a wet week and he already looks our best player and main man, with McShane hopefully back fit and firing next year I think that makes us a different proposition.