Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 1752658 times)

topofthesoil

• topsoil
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #10726 on: September 17, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Cavanan really did sum it up over the weekend on sky didnt he.

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: September 17, 2019, 10:26:54 AM »
Yeah canavan pulled no punches.

BennyHarp

• View Profile
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: September 17, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
We need more good football men, not rugby men.

topofthesoil

• topsoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: September 17, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

incorrect. The sport is evolving and teams need to jump on the wagon or else they'll miss the bus. Obviously to an extent. Doesnt matter what the background sport of an S&C coach is, if hes good at what he does it doesnt matter if he played gaelic or not, its about the physicality, fitness and injury prevention, his job is not to coach the team.

skeog

• View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: September 17, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
Spot on.

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: September 17, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Hence Ulster rugby took Peter Donnelly who is not from a Rugby background. Dublin had Bernard Dunne in their set up a few years ago who was a professional boxer, they also had a basketball coach. Kieran Donaghy was involved with Galway hurlers this year. Oisin McConville worked with Laois hurlers..the list goes on.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »

incorrect. The sport is evolving and teams need to jump on the wagon or else they'll miss the bus. Obviously to an extent. Doesnt matter what the background sport of an S&C coach is, if hes good at what he does it doesnt matter if he played gaelic or not, its about the physicality, fitness and injury prevention, his job is not to coach the team.

No no, PD is not replaceable. He was the mastermind of all Tyrone's wins and had nothing to do with their losses. Or something along those lines.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bigpackiechestout

• View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: September 17, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »
Hence Ulster rugby took Peter Donnelly who is not from a Rugby background. Dublin had Bernard Dunne in their set up a few years ago who was a professional boxer, they also had a basketball coach. Kieran Donaghy was involved with Galway hurlers this year. Oisin McConville worked with Laois hurlers..the list goes on.

Fair enough but, if you listen to the players, it's clear that Peter Donnelly was much more than just an S&C coach. He was heavily involved in the pitch training sessions and you can see and hear him on the touchline during matches instructing players where they should be positioned defensively.

So this new guy may well be an expert S&C coach but he will not be able to replicate the other bits that Donnelly brought to the table.

For what it's worth, if options were to keep Donnelly on in a part time basis or replace him with somebody doing the job full-time, then I think we made the right call to replace him. But I would like to think we will also be adding more football-specific know-how to the management set-up. And I'd be disappointed if that means Mark Harte.

topofthesoil

• topsoil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: September 17, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »

Fair enough but, if you listen to the players, it's clear that Peter Donnelly was much more than just an S&C coach. He was heavily involved in the pitch training sessions and you can see and hear him on the touchline during matches instructing players where they should be positioned defensively.

So this new guy may well be an expert S&C coach but he will not be able to replicate the other bits that Donnelly brought to the table.

For what it's worth, if options were to keep Donnelly on in a part time basis or replace him with somebody doing the job full-time, then I think we made the right call to replace him. But I would like to think we will also be adding more football-specific know-how to the management set-up. And I'd be disappointed if that means Mark Harte.

Few name mentioned, but i will not mention them on this. Was clear Tyrone (not the players) wanted him out, or didnt see him as significant or important as he is hence why he was let go

Under Lights

• View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: September 17, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

Few name mentioned, but i will not mention them on this. Was clear Tyrone (not the players) wanted him out, or didnt see him as significant or important as he is hence why he was let go

One very surprising name, hes only 27 like.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: September 20, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone?

I fully believe if he stuck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:38:30 PM by Angelo »

bigpackiechestout

• View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone.

I fully believe if he stiluck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.

Can't see it. It will only happen if he falls out of favour at Essedon and can't get another club, which is a long way off at the moment as he seems to be playing well.

As much as I would love to see it, he would need his head checked to give up a professional lifestyle to come home and live in Eglish

Pearse Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: September 23, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
Will we ever see Conor McKenna back playing Championship football for Tyrone?

I fully believe if he stuck around we would have been in a few more All Ireland finals in the past number of years and possibly have won one.
2nd person knowledge here but I heard he was chatting at a school prize giving or something like it and mentioned he sees himself back from Australia when the current contract is up