Author Topic: Tyrone County Football and Hurling  (Read 1478463 times)

GaelTheGael

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Reply #10080 on: July 07, 2019, 11:36:18 PM »
Big game against Roscommon coming up on Saturday. Win there and that's an All Ireland Semi Final place secured and you'd be quietly confident there. Tyrone put them to the sword at this stage last year in Croke Park, they have improved and have home advantage, but it's debatable if they have come that far as in to beat Tyrone at this stage, who are well seasoned and experienced.
In terms of changes, Hampsey is the only man to come in if hes fully up to speed, ideally he is the man to pick up Cox. Hopefully Harte is past the point of making rash changes like bringing Tiernan McCann, Ben McDonnell or a red herring like Rafferty in again at the expense of form players like Kennedy, Cassidy or Brennan.

bigpackiechestout

• View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: July 08, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
After criticising his free-taking on here last week I have to give Morgan his dues for Saturday, he was brilliant. He nailed two great kicks early on when the game was still close and Cavan were trying to get in our faces and make it a dog fight. He also made a couple of good interceptions at the back and his kick-outs were flawless. On that kind of form there is no better keeper in the country

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: July 08, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
Nearly the Best possible draw for tyrone and probably the worst at the same time.

Looks like we are favourites to get to another semi and possibly a final getting all our hopes up again spending a rip of money and convincing myself that we can beat Dublin. Only to get hammered and be depressed about tyrone all winter again.

REPEAT

Wouldn't look too far past Cavan to be honest. They'll fancy it.

That went well.

Cavan were absolutely shite. No effort, no intensity, no heart. Obviously that's not Tyrone's problem though who gratefully will take the pass into the Super 8s. Roscommon must bring more on Saturday. Promises to be a massive game with the Dubs in the group and presumably will qualify.

Tyrone had a lot of great performances, McCurry and McShane look to be making those two attacking positions their own. How much of that was Cavan not at the races, we shall see. I don't know how much Tyrone will learn from Saturday but they'll be thrilled to get through the final round so unscathed.

Club boi

• View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: July 08, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
Do southtyronegael and his mates only comment on here during or after defeats? All very quiet this last few weeks.

We’re now at important junction in the year where we enter the business end. I think the players deserve praise for putting in a huge amount of work this year again. They started the championship slowly but have put in very good performances in recent weeks.

Harte also deserves praise for leading us to the last 8 of the all Ireland in 14 out of his 17 seasons in charge, an incredible statistic. We have also got to 8 semi finals since he took over and hopefully we’ll get back there and further again this year.

Next week looks like a huge game in deciding that. Hopefully a large support travel and give the team the support they deserve, Roscommon will be up for it big time.

Quiet - Tyrone have beaten nobody of note
Huge work - Is this not required every year??
Performances - Against lower opposition
Harte - Credit were due, just feel it time he moved on while he still gets the plaudits for these stats and not ruine his legacy

I will heap praise when we finally beat Kerry/Mayo or Dublin when it counts

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: July 08, 2019, 12:02:48 PM »
Do southtyronegael and his mates only comment on here during or after defeats? All very quiet this last few weeks.

We’re now at important junction in the year where we enter the business end. I think the players deserve praise for putting in a huge amount of work this year again. They started the championship slowly but have put in very good performances in recent weeks.

Harte also deserves praise for leading us to the last 8 of the all Ireland in 14 out of his 17 seasons in charge, an incredible statistic. We have also got to 8 semi finals since he took over and hopefully we’ll get back there and further again this year.

Next week looks like a huge game in deciding that. Hopefully a large support travel and give the team the support they deserve, Roscommon will be up for it big time.

Quiet - Tyrone have beaten nobody of note
Huge work - Is this not required every year??
Performances - Against lower opposition
Harte - Credit were due, just feel it time he moved on while he still gets the plaudits for these stats and not ruine his legacy

I will heap praise when we finally beat Kerry/Mayo or Dublin when it counts

Whether it be a league game McKenna cup game or championship game boys on here are very quick to give out on here at a bad performance or result. But not a word after good displays.

Yes we were expected to beat Cavan and Kildare but they were both very good performances with huge victories. It shows how far we've come that we expect to be beating a team that played division one this year and a team near the top of division two by so much. Every other county in ulster outside of Donegal would be delighted with the results.

I think a lot of people want Harte to move on for the sake of it. He's doing a great job with a lot less resources than the other top counties and long may it continue. We operated at a level above both Mayo and Kerry last year so not sure why we needed to beat them, though a win would have been nice.

Big game again this week against a team who have already beaten Mayo and will be fired up and confident. It will be a much tougher assignment than last week and a big battle in store.

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: July 08, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
After seeing the highlights of the cork game there is no guarantee that tyrone will progress. You dont want to be playing dublin needing any points to progress. Corks kicking into the full forwards was excellent.

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: July 08, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
After seeing the highlights of the cork game there is no guarantee that tyrone will progress. You dont want to be playing dublin needing any points to progress. Corks kicking into the full forwards was excellent.

Which hopefully is bread and butter to our defensive system
That was never a square ball!!

In hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: July 08, 2019, 12:45:24 PM »
Tyrone will beat Roscommon by at least 7
They will beat Cork by at least 12
No idea how the Dublin game in Omagh will pan out.
If they play Donegal in the semis they will win by 2 or 3
Then will lose by 5 to Dublin in the final
Only Dublin and Donegal have the intelligence needed to beat Tyrone and I don't think Donegal are good enough.
If Tyrone concede the opposition kickouts against Dublin the way they did last Saturday then they will not win.

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: July 08, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

That's what I am hoping. Hard to judge cork at the minute. Does the winners of the group play the runners up of the other group?

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: July 08, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »
Only Dublin and Donegal have the intelligence needed to beat Tyrone and I don't think Donegal are good enough.
If Tyrone concede the opposition kickouts against Dublin the way they did last Saturday then they will not win.

I don't know where to start with that.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: July 08, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »

That's what I am hoping. Hard to judge cork at the minute. Does the winners of the group play the runners up of the other group?

Yes, first plays second in the semis.
Laois defending was abysmal yesterday, they were gifting cork scores. I wouldn't worry too much.

Fuzzman

• Aughabrack (Tyrone Not Cork)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: July 08, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
Yeah I'm certainly back enjoying watching Tyrone play as opposed to a few years ago where it was such crap to watch and all negative siege mentality and negative story after story in the media.
The bar has been raised big time for us that we expect to get to the last 8 every year now and usually it's a question of have we improved enough to beat Mayo or Kerry as we know we're still a bit behind Dublin but last year will do this team the power of good. To me we look like we have improved since last year with a few new players introduced and have became regulars and with McShane showing that's he's lot more than a raw midfielder thrown in at FF to win primary ball.
He has shown he can win his own ball even when double marked and can take a man on and beat him. He has pace and strength which allows Mattie and Petey to play further out the field where they are needed.

Cassidy has really settled in well and shows he can push forward and take scores as well as Tiernan could a few years ago.
Colm back as sweeper makes our defence a lot more secure and I think we can still play him there but with 2 or even 3 players up front at times.
Im delighted with the run this year again but I'd still not be sure are we able for Kerry or Mayo. Last year we avoided them and got lucky with the draw. Until you beat them you can't say we were better than them

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: July 08, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Yeah I'm certainly back enjoying watching Tyrone play as opposed to a few years ago where it was such crap to watch and all negative siege mentality and negative story after story in the media.
The bar has been raised big time for us that we expect to get to the last 8 every year now and usually it's a question of have we improved enough to beat Mayo or Kerry as we know we're still a bit behind Dublin but last year will do this team the power of good. To me we look like we have improved since last year with a few new players introduced and have became regulars and with McShane showing that's he's lot more than a raw midfielder thrown in at FF to win primary ball.
He has shown he can win his own ball even when double marked and can take a man on and beat him. He has pace and strength which allows Mattie and Petey to play further out the field where they are needed.

Cassidy has really settled in well and shows he can push forward and take scores as well as Tiernan could a few years ago.
Colm back as sweeper makes our defence a lot more secure and I think we can still play him there but with 2 or even 3 players up front at times.
Im delighted with the run this year again but I'd still not be sure are we able for Kerry or Mayo. Last year we avoided them and got lucky with the draw. Until you beat them you can't say we were better than them

We didn't avoid Mayo or Kerry last year because of a lucky draw. We avoided them because they were both very poor last year. Mayo lost to Galway and Kildare and Kerry were very very poor against both Galway and Monaghan. Beating Donegal in Ballybofey was much tougher than taking on either of them last year in croke park based on their performances. That's not to say they won't/haven't improved a bit this year but time will tell how far they go.

Over the Bar

• '03 + '05 = '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: July 08, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
I see the tyrone boys celebrated their win with a wee singalong on the bus home!!!

Saw that myself.  I'd imagine it wasnt joe doyle who captured it because his camera is alot better so the question is who was the idiot who recorded it and then sent it on. 

Be interesting to see if the media get their hands on it because there will the customary outrage from our orange brethren.

Id say the ‘cameraman’ is a popular boy today !!!
The arsehole deserves beaten to a pulp.

Jayop

• View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »

I don't know where to start with that.

I'd say it's possibly not too far off how I'd expect the rest of the year to pan out too, probably with the exception of the Rossies, I think that could be a lot closer this year and within a goal for the winner.

Cork despite playing better against Kerry while losing are still a poor enough side  that will be playing in D3 next year. They should be canon fodder for Tyrone in the Super8 especially in Croker. The Dublin game will depend largely on whether we both go into it with full points on board and how the other group ends up looking too. Tyrone won't be looking to avoid anyone in the semi-final but Dublin might have half an eye on that one. I think they'd prefer Kerry if I'm honest.

If we get Donegal in the semi then I'd expect us to turn over the earlier result. We're going much much better now. I'd also expect us to lose the final by a few points to Dublin while improving on the last few croker performances against them.