Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 7390609 times)

clarshack

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #43920 on: September 22, 2020, 01:21:28 PM »
Another indicator of how strong Tyrone club football is that Edendork could have won the senior championship 2 years ago, only for Niall Morgan getting a black card they would have beaten Coalisland in the semi-final. On the day of the final Killyclogher were poor enough so it was a real missed opportunity for them. The fact that they were relegated to Intermediate the following season shows that there are no weak teams in senior football. Intermediate and Junior clubs from Tyrone regularly do well in Ulster, so from top to bottom Tyrone is stronger than most counties. And only for Kerry cheating the system there would be more all-ireland clubs in Tyrone.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:24:21 PM by clarshack »

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43921 on: September 22, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »
Actually I really like the Kerry system - I think the idea that anyone can win a SFC no matter what club they may hail from is a great equaliser.

Would stop certain clubs from their current antics.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #43922 on: September 22, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
Actually I really like the Kerry system - I think the idea that anyone can win a SFC no matter what club they may hail from is a great equaliser.

Would stop certain clubs from their current antics.

Can't agree.

All Kerry have done is create super clubs. Only 8 senior clubs take part in their senior championship afaik.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43923 on: September 22, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
It creates super clubs surely, there are obvious pluses and negatives to it and every system. I love straight knockout in Tyrone. But at the same time, look at the boost it gives Kerry as a county getting those players exposure at that level.

Wouldn't it be great to see an West Tyrone team take on, say Errigal with players like Shane Cleary and maybe Jonny Lafferty on the same team? Junior Football in Tyrone is strong, they do have some really good players there but obviously depth is the issue.

It would require tweaking, how it would work in Tyrone I'm not sure just yet but before Covid, participation was a major issue. It might be something the powers that be need to look at down the line?

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #43924 on: September 22, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »
It creates super clubs surely, there are obvious pluses and negatives to it and every system. I love straight knockout in Tyrone. But at the same time, look at the boost it gives Kerry as a county getting those players exposure at that level.

Wouldn't it be great to see an West Tyrone team take on, say Errigal with players like Shane Cleary and maybe Jonny Lafferty on the same team? Junior Football in Tyrone is strong, they do have some really good players there but obviously depth is the issue.

It would require tweaking, how it would work in Tyrone I'm not sure just yet but before Covid, participation was a major issue. It might be something the powers that be need to look at down the line?

There is elements to it but there's also the case if you followed the Kerry model, you would be bumping 8 teams down to intermediate.

Would Dungannon have been playing senior football this year if that was the case?

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43925 on: September 22, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »
The leagues were for restructuring this season anyway back to the old model of four divisions. Not sure how or if that's happening with teams able to go up but nobody getting relegated next year.

Tribal nature of Tyrone football probably means it wouldn't really kick off, but the Newtonstewart / Dregish amalgamation looks like a sign of things to come in rural GAA.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #43926 on: September 22, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »
Tribal nature of Tyrone football probably means it wouldn't really kick off, but the Newtonstewart / Dregish amalgamation looks like a sign of things to come in rural GAA.

I do like aspects of the Kerry model but this is the stumbling block here. I don’t think there’d be buy in from supporters. But as you say amalgamations will become common place in the years ahead.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43927 on: September 22, 2020, 03:31:20 PM »
Is Tyrone the only county that does straight knock out in Ulster? Armagh brought it back in this year and there were shocks across senior and intermediate.

Fermanagh do a straight knockout at Senior & Intermediate level - 8 teams in both, four first round winners are through to the semi-finals, four losers enter a two-round relegation play-off with a semi-final & final, relegation semi-final winners retain status for next year, two losers then go into a play-off final with the loser of the game demoted. For the following year. Each team therefore gets at least two games within the championship format. Junior, with four clubs, works differently as there is no relegation. There are two Round 1 games with the two winners going forward to Semi-Final "A", two losers go into a play-off. Winner of semi-final "A" progresses to the final & loser goes into semi-final "B"; winner of the play-off go into semi-final "B" while loser is eliminated. Winner of semi-final "B" goes to final, loser is eliminated. Very possible that the two teams in the JFC final will have met each other in semi-final "A".

Antrim also do a straight knockout for their football championships IIRC.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:44:16 PM by Fionntamhnach »
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43928 on: September 22, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
The leagues were for restructuring this season anyway back to the old model of four divisions. Not sure how or if that's happening with teams able to go up but nobody getting relegated next year.

I reckon looking at the combinations at youth level we can probably see what's coming down the road in the mid-long term...

While both are doing OK at present at adult level, I'd not be surprised if at some point Clogher & Augher amalgamate.

Many of the north Tyrone clubs have small membership numbers, particularly Urney & Clann na nGael. Norf would know more about Owen Roes that I would, but they seem reasonably steady.

Hard to know which way things could blow in around Brocagh, Derrytresk & Killyman.

Eskra have been doing their best to field teams again at U14 and U16 levels, but can they field a team bigger than 11-a-side at these age ranges, I dunno?

Speaking of which, I see the Derrylaughan/Eskra U14 G4 league final is going to a replay, reading the report on TTM, after the match finished level AET. I thought the protocol for youth championship & league knockout games were that they had to finish on the day via extra time (2x10 mins), then double extra time (2x5 mins) and if that didn't produce a winner, carrying on until the next team to score wins? Edit: I was wrong, apparently it should have went to a shoot-out!
https://tyronegaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CCC-Youth-Regulations-2020.pdf
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:19:25 PM by Fionntamhnach »
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Onthe40

• View Profile
« Reply #43929 on: September 22, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »
Derrytresk have fielded independently at all youth levels this year
have some great youth players coming through their ranks

we played their 10s & 12s in recent months..v strong.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43930 on: September 22, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
Do Derrytresk/Brocagh and Killyman not combine at underage level?

I thought that was the Gael Naomh Pádraig club?

*EDIT, this is Clogher. I thought there was an almalgamation club involving those three though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:37:14 PM by GetOverTheBar »

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #43931 on: September 22, 2020, 04:51:23 PM »
There is a Naomh Padraig and a Gael Naomh Padraig. 2 different amalgamations

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #43932 on: September 22, 2020, 04:53:38 PM »
That's it, the former was the one I was thinking of.

Must just be Brocagh and Killyman then?

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43933 on: September 22, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
In the past, Brocagh & Derrytresk have fielded combined youth teams under the Naomh Padraig name, not to be confused with Gael Naomh Padraig which is the combined youth team name serving Augher & Clogher.Brocagh & Killyman fielded combined youth teams this year under the Naomh Brid name.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #43934 on: September 22, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »

Speaking of which, I see the Derrylaughan/Eskra U14 G4 league final is going to a replay, reading the report on TTM, after the match finished level AET. I thought the protocol for youth championship & league knockout games were that they had to finish on the day via extra time (2x10 mins), then double extra time (2x5 mins) and if that didn't produce a winner, carrying on until the next team to score wins? Edit: I was wrong, apparently it should have went to a shoot-out!
https://tyronegaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CCC-Youth-Regulations-2020.pdf

Jeez if there had have been penalties there I think Teamtalkmag would have spontaneously combusted after the complaining they done about the senior final going to penalties.