British and Irish Lions Tour 2013

Started by CorkMan, April 28, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Strange decision alright but some good reaction on the old twittersphere

Surprised Gatland hasn't included Katherine Jenkins, Tom Jones, Ryan Giggs or The Prince of Wales in the #LionsXV
Big congrats to Sean O' Brien, Tommy Bowe and Jonathan Sexton on their debut  for Wales this weekend." #lionstour
So Davies, the man that left the front door open for AA Cooper to score the winning try last week, is the new BO'D
You can feel the anger as the Luas pushes through Leinster's heartland this morning @RossOCK #BOD

johnneycool

Jack Charlton was right, we don't give up on our hero's easily.

Well done Sean O'Brien on getting his first Lions start.

J OGorman

Quote from: muppet on July 03, 2013, 05:34:04 AM
10 Welshmen, including Phillips.

What an insult to the others.

Absolutely. Near as shocking as starting 14 of his former clubmen for Wales.

The Lions will sorely miss O'Driscolls leadership on Sat. He is the go to man for so many of his team mates.

Shamrock Shore

Gatland is a bellend but he has success behind him in fairness.

That said I would have had O'Driscoll on even if he was on crutches as an inspirational force on the field. He still has a fair amount of petrol in the tank.

gallsman

Murray over Phillips annoys me more than dropping BOD. Arguments could be made that BOD hasn't been up to scratch (no more than some of the others, including Davies, in my opinion) but Murray was excellent when he came on for Youngs last week and Phillips was annihilated in the first test.

seafoid

Quote from: NAG1 on July 03, 2013, 08:31:30 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2013, 08:28:20 AM
I reckon the Lions will win this one. It's a strong team.

Leaving emotion aside. BOD is the greatest sportsman our country has ever produced, but he's over the hill now.

Very big statement there, think may emotions are getting the better of some on this one.
Larry Reilly is the ultimate in cool

orangeman

Serious over reaction to BOD being dropped.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: orangeman on July 03, 2013, 09:46:29 AM

Yeah and serious rugby 'experts' hijacking this thread!!

thewobbler

Some of the comments here are quite disarming.

I've no emotional favour to the Lions, but "they" are actually "we". I'm not telling anyone they have to cheer on the Lions, but as a team they do actually represent Ireland.

This reminds me of a thread on here years ago when Darren Clarke didn't get a wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup. Ian Poulter (one of the best match players in the world) was rightly chosen instead, but it was enough to turn Europe into "them".

Get behind a team or don't get behind them, but don't change your colours because you don't agree with the manager.

NAG1 - For the best part of a decade, BOD was by some distance the best player in the world in his position, and often the standout player in the world. There were no flaws in his game. Skill, flair, poise, dedication, athleticism, application, commitment, longevity, all in bucketloads. You'd do well to find anyone even fit to ride his coat tails.

nrico - For the past 5 years BOD has played more like a flanker than a centre for Ireland and Leinster. His game evolved into this role as his pace began to leave him. In some ways him doing this is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it's not as obvious when he's with Ireland or Leinster as the coaches have worked this into their systems.

And finally, have a look at http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/match-centre_table.php. That's the most recent gauge of each team's worth in the Northern Hemisphere. The English can feel aggrieved at 10 Welshmen. Ireland cannot feel aggrieved at having 3 spots.

Hardy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 03, 2013, 09:48:39 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 03, 2013, 09:46:29 AM

Yeah and serious rugby 'experts' hijacking this thread!!

Yuck!

Tubberman

Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2013, 09:51:51 AM

I've no emotional favour to the Lions, but "they" are actually "we". I'm not telling anyone they have to cheer on the Lions, but as a team they do actually represent Ireland.

This reminds me of a thread on here years ago when Darren Clarke didn't get a wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup. Ian Poulter (one of the best match players in the world) was rightly chosen instead, but it was enough to turn Europe into "them".

Get behind a team or don't get behind them, but don't change your colours because you don't agree with the manager.

NAG1 - For the best part of a decade, BOD was by some distance the best player in the world in his position, and often the standout player in the world. There were no flaws in his game. Skill, flair, poise, dedication, athleticism, application, commitment, longevity, all in bucketloads. You'd do well to find anyone even fit to ride his coat tails.

nrico - For the past 5 years BOD has played more like a flanker than a centre for Ireland and Leinster. His game evolved into this role as his pace began to leave him. In some ways him doing this is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but it's not as obvious when he's with Ireland or Leinster as the coaches have worked this into their systems.

And finally, have a look at http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/match-centre_table.php. That's the most recent gauge of each team's worth in the Northern Hemisphere. The English can feel aggrieved at 10 Welshmen. Ireland cannot feel aggrieved at having 3 spots.

They are not 'we'. They are an amalgamation of national sides that includes Ireland, but that doesn't make us all 'Lions'.
Ireland is represented in the Lions, but that's different to saying the Lions represent Ireland - in my view at least.
If no Irish player was selected, would we still have to consider the Lions as representing us?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thewobbler

I kind of agree with you Tubberman. I've no more allegiance to the Lions than I do to the Ryder Cup team, or to Ulster in Railway Cup, or even to Ireland in the International Rules series. Which is basically none.

These teams are forced together for the purposes of sport, rather than bonded together to represent.

But in saying that, while the result will not affect my thoughts, I'd still prefer to see "us" beat the opposition in all those events. No jingoism, no national pride, it's just a preference.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Tubberman on July 03, 2013, 10:00:11 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2013, 09:51:51 AM

They are not 'we'. They are an amalgamation of national sides that includes Ireland, but that doesn't make us all 'Lions'.
Ireland is represented in the Lions, but that's different to saying the Lions represent Ireland - in my view at least.
If no Irish player was selected, would we still have to consider the Lions as representing us?

So by that logic an Ireland team minus Connacht players don't represent Connacht people. Right I get ya!!

rodney trotter

Huge blow for Drico. From talk of him being Captain of the final test, to not even being in the Squad.

Gatland obviously has more faith in the Welsh to get the Lions over the line, in the winner takes all Final test. They were the best team in the Six nations, maybe he feels they have the greater winning mentality for the final test. Still 3 Irish so not that bad..

Declan