CONNACHT U-21 FINAL, MAYO v ROSCOMMON

Started by Shrewdness, April 01, 2007, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

Shrewdness, that's exactly my line of thinking. Apparently Our minors last year were very confident, they thought it was a matter of getting through Connaht and getting back to an AIF and righting the wrongs of the previous year, then look what happened. All I'm saying is if the U-21s don't play well or take anything for granted this young Ross team are well able to take them and that would be my main worry. All said and done the Mayo U-21s have lost tehir 2 best forwards from last year in Kilcoyne and Conroy that shouldn't be forgotten. By the way Ros, what are you on, JM would be welcomed back? Jonno has lots to prove? It's march, Jonno has made a good start but its early days before we can see what progress has been made. On the other hand we all know what JM is capable of.......

Redgreenery

We'd be going backwards so much if we welcomed JM back!

OirthearMhaigheo

Just to correct myself, it's actually April. You're right we should be showing signs of progress by now ;D

neilthemac

all we're saying is that Maughan isn't convincing too many people down in Ros about his ability to do something positive with the team in terms of performances

a few people also worried that he won't get the maximum from the U21 panel

I'd hope Ros to be competitive and give Mayo a good game. can't see us winning though.

Maybe next year

GalwayBayBoy

I guess you'd have to back Mayo in this one given their experience from last year. Good 7 point win over Galway too although that result was a little bit flattering to the Mayo men as Galway missed one great goal chance and hit the woodwork with another and certainly losing Sean Armstrong before throw-in was a big loss. Still Mayo looked a good side.

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 03, 2007, 02:52:47 PM
losing Sean Armstrong before throw-in was a big loss. 

That's why ye lost -ye had no one to foul the full back and get a goal like Armstrong did in the 2004 Connacht minor Final  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Turlough O Carolan

"The old order changeth giving rise to the new". Seems strange to say that about an U.21 game. Logic would dictate that a team having a fair scatter of last year's All-Ireland winning U.21 side would defeat a team having a fair scatter of last year All-Ireland winning U.18 s side. It should be a some contest in McHale on Saturday and I'll give my vote to the primrose and blue. Looking forward to driving the Pee Flynn motorway to Castlebar.  Common Ros.

mayo51

mayo 1.4 rosscommon 0.1  12 min gone  parsons scored goal

mayo51

Redgreenery

Full Time Score:
Mayo 1-22  Roscommon 1-08.
Yes Mayo won by 14 points! Pierce Hanley scoring 9 of those points. Sounded like a very entertaining game for Mayo fans! So Mayo are Connaught champions again and could now be playing either Laois or Offaly in the Semi final I think. Well done to Mayo, great to hammer the Rossies! ;)

Rossfan

Will ye please take Maughan back as he has 2 teams ****ed up on us now. >:( >:( :( :-\ :'(

Fishead_Sam

Ya that was a fanfuckentastic performance by Mayo,  poping points from all distances and angles, hardly a wide all game, 1 in the first & 3 in the second me thinks, and did Rossie score at all in the second, 2 max.

They shoe in for the final as they avoid Cork & Armagh until then.

Rossfan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 07, 2007, 07:25:56 PM
They shoe in for the final as they avoid Cork & Armagh until then.

Good man -  count your chickens........ ::)

ross matt

It was serious mauling. Didn'nt turn up at all for the first 20 minutes and were 9 points down before we started to compete. Dragged ourselves to within 4 points of them at half time and started the 2nd half well enough to suggest it would be a close contest. Then Mayo just stepped on the gas and Ross had no answer to them.

Mayo looked very impressive all over the pitch. Very physically strong with serious pace. Worked the ball out in short overlaps from the back  and then ran through the middle (unfortunately mostly unopposed). Their centre back and midfielders were totally dominant with Hanly proving unmarkable at the edge of the square.

I believe they had 9 of last years successful side out whilst we had quite a few of last years minors. The difference in age and experience showed. No arguments today. The best side by a mile won by a mile. Best of luck to Mayo in the AI series. Bad day for Ross and Mr Maughan...

criostlinn

Quote from: Ryano on April 02, 2007, 12:44:36 PM
Totally agree. It's just a matter of Mayo turning up to collect the cup. They are AI champions after all, sure Roscommon are happy to just get to a final! We will turn up and act as cannon fodder for the far superior Mayo team and their fans. A day out in Castlebar is all, might have a look around the shops and then off home....... In fact why not just hand over the cup now, tis a formality after all ::)

Well called