Warrenpoint Town now in Irish League Premiership.

Started by T Fearon, April 27, 2013, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Great achievement especially since they were two nil down going into second leg last night

Agent Orange

They should have won comfortably last night, hit the woodwork a number of times.

T Fearon

At least they got the job done.Big pressure all the same with two goal deficit to retrieve

Feckitt

I dont know how you boys can take this league seriously when on at least one occasion this season a team has travelled to a match without a single supporter.

seafoid

Is the success of Warrenpoint Town inversely proportional to that of the Down footballers ?

T Fearon

In a way Seafoid.A lot of Warrenpoint Town players are involved with the local GAA club who reached this year's All Ireland Intermediate Club Final.It is only when that competition ended that the soccer club put a run of results together which saved them from a bottom place finish in the league and automatic relegation.

Warrenpoint Town were only founded twenty eight years ago and to reach the Irish Premier League (now I know it's not Serie A or La Liga) and stay in it for three years is a hell of an achievement on minimal resources.They need a bigger and more regular support base home and away.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Feckitt on May 04, 2015, 02:50:16 PM
I dont know how you boys can take this league seriously when on at least one occasion this season a team has travelled to a match without a single supporter.

I call BS on this one, someone provides facebook updates on the fanzone page for all their games home and away. I know a few lads who went to Ballinamallard on a wet Friday night to watch the point and they seem to go to most games. They aren't that well supported, that isn't in doubt, but they have a few ardent supporters. Maybe Tony will adopt them.

T Fearon

Was at the home game with Cliftonville this year,which ended in a one all draw.First Irish League game I was at for five years.Would go more often but time constraints prevent it.

Age old problem for Warrenpoint is the thriving junior soccer scene in South Down,played mainly on Saturday afternoon,which involves a lot of people who might otherwise go,and as a new club trying to establish themselves it will take time to build a decent support.Hopefully this will improve as they consolidate and maybe even challenge for a cup.They do need to hold on to that lad Hughes as well.

SHEEDY

warrenpoint relegated from the irish premiership today after an absolutely shocking decision by the referee to award dungannon a penalty in injury time cost them the 3 points that would have kept them up. check out the decision from the ref in the video....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36120825
nil satis nisi optimum

outinfront

Shocking decision to award a penalty for that. It's either a 50/50 collision or a free out.

tintin25

Seriously, that is one of the worst penalty decisions I've seen awarded!

charlieTully

Dungannon player should have been charged with assault. Shocking decision.

bennydorano

Holy jaysus that's ridiculous. Got a text last nite advising backing the Point as Dungannon were putting out half a team, dunno if that's the way it panned out, but they were in 2 of my bets today at 10/11  :-\

T Fearon

Let me down for a 53/1 bet.May be a blessing in disguise and a chance to consolidate.If they hold on to their local players they should be straight back up.Only 5 points at Xmas told the tale and a similar struggle would ensue next year.

T Fearon

Standard of refereeing in Irish League is atrocious.Portadown were blatantly robbed in last year's Irish Cup Final.That should have been a free kick to Warrenpoint instead of a penalty.