New Garage

Started by Last Man, April 25, 2013, 10:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Probably raking over old ground here but the search is not working.
I have planning permission for an extension to the house plus damp proofing, insulating, dry lining etc an existing garage. Now not convinced the garage will ever be a job so would prefer to toss it and build a new one with cavity walls and up the size from 18 to 25m2. The builder is due to start in the next week. Can i just go ahead and ammend the planning permission retrospectively considering i'm replacing an existing garage?

Goldengreen

Where are you. In the republic i am nearly sure you can build a garage of upto 24m sq with out planning permission.

Hardy

That'd be some garage.

T Fearon

Surely no one should answer this without first receiving a well filled brown paper bag?

Canalman

Get an architect to check it out first. Won't be able to sell the house unless the works have been signed off by an architect/ engineer as not needing PP. Scrimp away at your own risk and don't rely on what a builder tells you.

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on April 25, 2013, 12:56:01 PM
Surely no one should answer this without first receiving a well filled brown paper bag?

I'd be a bit dubious if someone gave me a 'well filled brown paper bag'.

I think I'd prefer a brown envelope.

For what its worth, I had to submit a separate planning application for my garage as I hadn't included one in the initial plans for my house.

If you've already one in place and want to put up something similar in terms of ridge height, render and size, I'd speak to your local building control officer, usually associated with the local council and they'll advise you on the best way to proceed.