Mega bucks mega pixel camera guarantees gaa future.

Started by rrhf, April 24, 2013, 09:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

If they just put the feckin ball over the feckin black spot like they've been trained to do since they were toddlers there'd be no need for this shite.

Useless feckin shower intercounty footballers, they should all give up ta feck.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Itchy

Hawkeye would want eyes in the back of his head to see the shite that's going on in an ulster championship game. Would a few boys looking at video replay like in rugby not make more sense.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Zulu on April 24, 2013, 12:41:30 PM
So let me get this right, you're complaining while admiting you don't know the cost of it or what portion is coming from GAA coffers?? There are plenty of contentious points each year but only the ones that come at a crucial time or where cameras clearly show it was an incorrect call ate readily remembered.

There are always other ways of spending money but getting the calls right in our biggest games is worthy of investment. Give the damn thing a chance before ye fall over yerselves to start the whingefest, or at least come to the table with some hard facts.

+1

neilthemac

crazy

when all that was needed was a few HD cameras to follow the flight of the ball and a Video official to check if the ball had gone over the bar or not

Zulu

Are you serious? Do you take the half ass approach to everything? No among of cameras would conclusively prove a number of point attempts went over, especially in hurling. A game could be held up for ages trying to decide some scores and you still wouldn't be 100% sure. And all the while the technology is there to sort it out but we didn't use it, now that would be crazy.

rrhf

Why dont they just use a bigger ball if its so hard.  129 years of confusion finally brought to an end by hawkeye - the professionals choice..

Zulu

Is that you're issue -professionalism? Down with that sort of thing. Keep it amateur at any cost, even if it means getting things wrong. I'm just glad some of you boys aren't at the wheel of the GAA.

thejuice

I know this is considered heresy but perhaps changing things so the ball isn't the same colour of the goal posts.

Might help in grounds without hawkeye.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

Without the price tag too. Listen having a different rule for the games depending on what grounds they are being played in, runs along with changing the rules so we can play internationally strike me as a truly amateur approach in the I have no head type of way. But it's what the wannabe professionals want.

Zulu

Why do you keep going on about the price tag when you haven't a bulls notion what it's costing the GAA?

Different coloured balls won't help much either. Why are fellas proposing cheap but ineffective solutions when we have a 100% accurate one?

You sound like the kind of man who'd argue against speed cameras or drink driving check points anywhere if you can't have them everywhere, i.e a man who hasn't thought about what his saying. Did you ever play underage or lower level football because if you have I presume you've played games on pitches not properly lined out and officiated by one neutral official. To take your argument to its logical conclusion we shouldn't play these games either.

thejuice

I don't mind Hawkeye being used, I'm quite in favour of it (in principle, depending on costs which we don't know) but until it is in all grounds its not totally that effective either.

The colour issue will help umpires to a degree I know its not perfect, but for audiences in the stands, on TV it will take it will take some of the uncertainty away.

Higher goal posts wouldnt hurt either.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 24, 2013, 02:47:10 PM
If it's only going to be used in Croke Park (and correct me if I am wrong) there is no point in getting knickers in a twist over other grounds and disputed scores.

How many matches, apart from Joe Sheridan's goal which was a case of the referee losing his senses, were won and lost on a disputed score in Croke Park?

Alan Smith scored a point that wasn't given in the AI Sem-final in 2010, hard to say how it would have affected the dynamic as it was in the first half but in a game where we lost by two with a free to Kildare in front of the posts as the last play it might have made a big difference.
#newbridgeornowhere

rrhf

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 25, 2013, 01:21:48 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 24, 2013, 02:47:10 PM
If it's only going to be used in Croke Park (and correct me if I am wrong) there is no point in getting knickers in a twist over other grounds and disputed scores.

How many matches, apart from Joe Sheridan's goal which was a case of the referee losing his senses, were won and lost on a disputed score in Croke Park?

Alan Smith scored a point that wasn't given in the AI Sem-final in 2010, hard to say how it would have affected the dynamic as it was in the first half but in a game where we lost by two with a free to Kildare in front of the posts as the last play it might have made a big difference.
Hawkeye game finishes a draw with that last free going over. Would a TMO on top of Benny Coulter not have had more effect on the outcome.  No goal Kildare win by 1.

rrhf

Quote from: Zulu on April 25, 2013, 11:00:17 AM
Why do you keep going on about the price tag when you haven't a bulls notion what it's costing the GAA?

Different coloured balls won't help much either. Why are fellas proposing cheap but ineffective solutions when we have a 100% accurate one?

You sound like the kind of man who'd argue against speed cameras or drink driving check points anywhere if you can't have them everywhere, i.e a man who hasn't thought about what his saying. Did you ever play underage or lower level football because if you have I presume you've played games on pitches not properly lined out and officiated by one neutral official. To take your argument to its logical conclusion we shouldn't play these games either.
I always refused unless we had a hawkeye just in case I put one over the post.

neilthemac

hawkeye still won't solve the main issue -

crap referees, umpires and sideline officials who don't know the rules, don't communicate properly and don't do their jobs