Tony Grealish RIP

Started by From the Bunker, April 23, 2013, 10:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Not often you get to put a English born Soccer player into the GAA discussion side.

from Hogan stand

''Sympathies to the family and friends of former Irish soccer international Tony Grealish. London-born, Tony was capped 45 times for his country and captained Brighton in the 1983 FA Cup final. But his first love was gaelic games and Tony played both GAA and soccer on the famous Wembley turf. His father Packie hailed from Athenry and was a founder-member of the St. Gabriels club. Gabriels won the London SHC in 2012 and, ironically, it took a late goal from John Grealish (a cousin of Tony's) to clinch the title. Tony's brother Brian played senior football for London. A tough, tackling midfielder, Tony died of cancer.''

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam

T Fearon

Great player,total commitment.Actually saw him play against USSR in 1984,in the last days of the Eoin Hand era.Was part of a good Leyton Orient team that,if memory serves me right,got to the semi final of the 1978 FA Cup.

moysider

I think I remember him captaining a Brighton team in a cup final? Great attitude player who loved a pile driver effort from distance. I m sure he got one spectacular one in the net on Match of the Day one time. Sad to hear of his illness and passing.
RIP.

Believe he played a bit of Gaelic as well.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on April 23, 2013, 11:11:46 PM

I think I remember him captaining a Brighton team in a cup final? Great attitude player who loved a pile driver effort from distance. I m sure he got one spectacular one in the net on Match of the Day one time. Sad to hear of his illness and passing.
RIP.

Believe he played a bit of Gaelic as well.

http://www.theirishworld.com/?p=2269

Tony and his younger brother Brian were regular players for  St  Agnes GAA club in Cricklewood. Tony played gaelic football for the club for eight years, and represented London at various  under-age teams up to minor level.

In the early seventies Tony was to make his mark as a GAA footballer, representing London against Dublin in the curtain raiser for the annual Whitsun (first week-end in June) GAA spectacular at the Old Wembley stadium. It was not to be his last visit there.

As a teenage player for Leyton Orient, he continued to moonlight for the Agnes's, but eventually was forced at the age of 16 to give up GAA, if not his Irish roots.