peace and reconcilation at the maze

Started by lawnseed, April 21, 2013, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qubdub

Quote from: michaelg on April 21, 2013, 11:04:04 AM
Quote from: qubdub on April 21, 2013, 10:58:50 AM
Surely Unionists will be tempted by the tourist potential that such a site would bring? Wave a few £s in their face and they'll soon change their tune.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Daniel O'Donnell stunt double and his party ends up being bought and sold. They only reason they oppose it on the feeble grounds of 'terrorist glorification' is because they don't like the truth.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to glorify terrorists.
Of course there isn't. (But the term itself is open to interpretation. For e.g. I would class members of the security forces as terrorists, state killings etc etc - I could argue that they glorify terrorism every November)

The whole point of it is for people (visitors) to actually visit the place and make their own minds up. A bit of education on the Troubles and what went on during that period.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 21, 2013, 11:33:44 AM
Tourist potential?! Who the fcuk would want to go to this shite in a wasteland between Lisburn and Belfast? Just another in a long line of exercises in burning cash from the shinners and DUP. The same goons that are always crying about poverty in West/East Belfast.
They interviewed a lock of tourists and said they'd go. Believe it or not this the type of thing people go to see. Sure don't they go on an open bus tour round the city ffs!!!

It might actually have a lot of potential. I just think Unionists don't like the fact that it may paint 'them' in a slightly darker light.

michaelg

Quote from: qubdub on April 21, 2013, 07:38:47 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 21, 2013, 11:04:04 AM
Quote from: qubdub on April 21, 2013, 10:58:50 AM
Surely Unionists will be tempted by the tourist potential that such a site would bring? Wave a few £s in their face and they'll soon change their tune.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Daniel O'Donnell stunt double and his party ends up being bought and sold. They only reason they oppose it on the feeble grounds of 'terrorist glorification' is because they don't like the truth.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to glorify terrorists.
Of course there isn't. (But the term itself is open to interpretation. For e.g. I would class members of the security forces as terrorists, state killings etc etc - I could argue that they glorify terrorism every November)

The whole point of it is for people (visitors) to actually visit the place and make their own minds up. A bit of education on the Troubles and what went on during that period.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 21, 2013, 11:33:44 AM
Tourist potential?! Who the fcuk would want to go to this shite in a wasteland between Lisburn and Belfast? Just another in a long line of exercises in burning cash from the shinners and DUP. The same goons that are always crying about poverty in West/East Belfast.
They interviewed a lock of tourists and said they'd go. Believe it or not this the type of thing people go to see. Sure don't they go on an open bus tour round the city ffs!!!

It might actually have a lot of potential. I just think Unionists don't like the fact that it may paint 'them' in a slightly darker light.
Surely that depends on how the whole thing is couched.  If emphasis is also placed on the atrocities carried out by IRA terrorists, sorry Freedom Fighters, Republicans would not be painted in a particularly flattering light either.

Tony Baloney

Lads you would think this place is going to reveal some dark secrets the way youse are getting on. Joe Public can already access the stories of the troubles and whatever version of events they wish to read about.

Main Street

Some of ye Nordies just refuse to budge an inch from your own thick prejudices and appear to just love spouting it out loud.
The Maze is a place of history, there's a story to be told, one of the biggest stories in modern Irish history.
The EU is providing a grant to build a centre where the story can be told. What's there to be afraid of?

Are you afraid that people might gain a perspective about history that's different to your? Are you afraid that the story told about that history, be different from how you would tell it? 
Actually, do have anything sensible at all to say on the matter?

AFAIA there will not be a booth in the corner somewhere for a 'creationist' account of events.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2013, 09:52:12 AM
Some of ye Nordies just refuse to budge an inch from your own thick prejudices
I see FF are steadily rising in the polls still. On a completely unrelated topic, how long has the civil war been over now??

But anyway, as far as Long Kesh is concerned, outside of bigotry, I can see no reason why anyone would be opposed to the retention of as much of the site as possible. Whether unionist elements bury their heads in the sand or not, there is simply no denying that it has the potential to be one of the biggest attractions for tourism in Ireland.

Aside from the tourist aspect, I was lucky enough to get a 'tour' of it a number of years back and was shown around the old Nissen Huts, one of the H-Blocks, and the prison hospital where the Hunger Strikers died. Walking into those few hospital rooms, (all along the same corridor on different sides) where those men died in agony....as a republican, it made the hair stand on the back of the neck. The feeling of standing in those tiny rooms where such history was made was a strange feeling. It would be horrible to ever think the site of such history would be tumbled. The "tour" I was on brought us to loyalist wings and it would have been a poorer tour had that not been the case. With Republican internments, escapes, dirty protests and hunger strikes, it's fair to say that Unionists wouldn't have the same emotional attachment (possibly the wrong word, not sure what the right word is) to the place as Nationalists/Republicans would have, but they still have their own stories about the it which simply must be told there too, if our history is to be preserved at the place.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on April 21, 2013, 07:18:58 PM
Thinks ... I wonder how much people would pay to see my home made barbecue.

Depends: is it on an exposed, uneven patio with some green-slime-covered while plastic furniture?

That plus a wind-tattered parasol would really pull them in!

/Jim.

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 22, 2013, 12:49:19 PM
I see FF are steadily rising in the polls still. On a completely unrelated topic, how long has the civil war been over now??

You more than any other poster, or indeed anyone I've ever heard of, uses that era to justify more recent events.

What do you think, time to move on?
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

I'd be in favour of the complete history of the site being told. That includes the story of its days as an air station during the war, internment, the hunger strikes and the dialog that went on in there before the Good Friday Agreement.  It's all history, it all deserves to be told.

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 22, 2013, 05:26:51 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 22, 2013, 12:49:19 PM

You more than any other poster, or indeed anyone I've ever heard of, uses that era to justify more recent events.

What do you think, time to move on?

"That era"?? Broad brush stroke there muppet. I use the tan war to make parallels and references to "more recent events", not the civil war. But as far as "justification" goes, I use my own personal experience of having lived through "recent events" to justify my viewpoint. And I assure you I have had enough experiences of it to be fully sure of my views. Lastly, I vote based on the party which best represents my views in the here and now, rather than for who my parents and grandparents voted for going back near on a hundred years to the civil war. Hardly a deniable phenomenon in the south, I'm sure you can accept? Alright they bankrupted the place but Fianna Fáil are making some resurgence alright. For some reason. Whatever that could be.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

michaelg

Some of ye Nordies just refuse to budge an inch from your own thick prejudices and appear to just love spouting it out loud.
The Maze is a place of history, there's a story to be told, one of the biggest stories in modern Irish history.
The EU is providing a grant to build a centre where the story can be told. What's there to be afraid of?

Are you afraid that people might gain a perspective about history that's different to your? Are you afraid that the story told about that history, be different from how you would tell it? 

AFAIA there will not be a booth in the corner somewhere for a 'creationist' account of events.
The place should be bulldozed and forgotten about.  Nothing to do with people with different perspectives etc. 

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 22, 2013, 07:00:47 PM
Lastly, I vote based on the party which best represents my views in the here and now, rather than for who my parents and grandparents voted for going back near on a hundred years to the civil war. Hardly a deniable phenomenon in the south, I'm sure you can accept? Alright they bankrupted the place but Fianna Fáil are making some resurgence alright. For some reason. Whatever that could be.

Because "he fikshed the road! My dad voted for his dad and you'll vote for his son.  He fikshed the road!"

Couldn't you laugh at these free staters getting on their sanctimonious high horses about the voting habits of northerners?

qubdub

Quote from: michaelg on April 22, 2013, 07:44:11 PM

The place should be bulldozed and forgotten about.  Nothing to do with people with different perspectives etc.
Why? Whether you like it or not it's a site of huge significance in Irish history.

michaelg

Quote from: qubdub on April 22, 2013, 07:59:16 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 22, 2013, 07:44:11 PM

Why? Whether you like it or not it's a site of huge significance in Irish history.
Because it is a reminder of miserable times which should be forgotten about and consigned to history.

qubdub

michaelg

Quote from: qubdub on April 22, 2013, 08:10:29 PM
Can we flatten Stormont then?
I thought as "a site of huge significance in Irish history" you'd be all for its maintenance.