The greatest point of the modern era

Started by rrhf, April 20, 2013, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

For drama, excitement and the circumstances, it's got to be Cluxton's winner v Kerry.

Steven O'Neills effort last week is right up there too.

I'd love to see the best drop kick scores, things of beauty! Derek Duggan's goal for the Rossies v Meath in '91 was sublime.

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 21, 2013, 10:55:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2013, 10:40:53 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 20, 2013, 10:17:06 PM
Is 1991 still part of the "modern era"?

Damien O Reillys against Donegal in 1991 is as good as any score you will ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iZO2BmUxA
That was some point.

we have a winner! Van Basten my hole!

Van Basten didn't take his point though.
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

Quote from: trileacman on April 21, 2013, 10:45:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUelK6iVL7s

Eamonn Burns is the pick of the points I've seen so far. Scored against that years AI champions too.

Whatever happened Eamonn Burns, I'd forgotten what a talented lad he was. Was he injured by 1993?
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 23, 2013, 04:19:51 PM

Eamonn Burns is the pick of the points I've seen so far. Scored against that years AI champions too.

Whatever happened Eamonn Burns, I'd forgotten what a talented lad he was. Was he injured by 1993?

Eamonn was dogged with injury around 98/99 until the remainder of his career. If i mind right he came back around the early 2000s again but injury ravaged him.

He was one of the best underage footballers in Derry and at St.Pat's Maghera were he won a couple of hogan cups and was selected in the all-time colleges team at half forward. He has ulster senior, u-21 and minor championships including an all-ireland.

He topped scored I think for screen in the derry championship a couple of years. My stat books are all at home!!!

He is now teaching at St.Columb's College, Derry were he coaches the senior GAA team there.

Lovely fella. He has great time for the GAA still. Great gael.

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on April 23, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

Eamonn was dogged with injury around 98/99 until the remainder of his career. If i mind right he came back around the early 2000s again but injury ravaged him.

He was one of the best underage footballers in Derry and at St.Pat's Maghera were he won a couple of hogan cups and was selected in the all-time colleges team at half forward. He has ulster senior, u-21 and minor championships including an all-ireland.

He topped scored I think for screen in the derry championship a couple of years. My stat books are all at home!!!

He is now teaching at St.Columb's College, Derry were he coaches the senior GAA team there.

I remember him playing McRory for Maghera - superb player! Shame he never really got the opportunity to fulfil his potential in the biggest days at Croker.
That was never a square ball!!

BarryBreensBandage

Derek Duggan for Roscommon in the 1991 Connacht final - cannot find a video for it;

An extract from  Q&A session with James Horan in the Irish Examiner last year describes it:

Greatest pressure free you've seen, hurling or football?

Derek Duggan of Roscommon in the 1991 Connacht final against Mayo. His team were a point behind, deep into injury-time, he was 65 yards out, a stiff breeze in his face, the ball was heavy from all the rain that day, and on top of all that, he was only 19. And yet he nailed it. It didn't just go over, it kept going and hit the top end of the protective netting which was a good bit back behind the goals. It's one of the best scores ever in championship football.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 23, 2013, 04:48:21 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on April 23, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

I remember him playing McRory for Maghera - superb player! Shame he never really got the opportunity to fulfil his potential in the biggest days at Croker.

Burns was on the greatest minor team I ever saw in 1989. Himself, Tohill, Dermot Heaney, Gary Coleman among others were on a team that destroyed Armagh in Clones in the Ulster Final.   There was one player,however,on that team that was probably the most talented of them all but never made it and that was Eunan O'Kane.  A serious forward and I think he bagged at least 1 goal that day and a few points.  First time I saw him was in a Rannafast semi in Coalisland and he was unplayable that day.

deiseach

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 21, 2013, 10:55:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 21, 2013, 10:40:53 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 20, 2013, 10:17:06 PM
Is 1991 still part of the "modern era"?

Damien O Reillys against Donegal in 1991 is as good as any score you will ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iZO2BmUxA
That was some point.

we have a winner! Van Basten my hole!

God be with the days when Donegal wore Kilrossanty colours.

ross4life

Quote from: rrhf on April 22, 2013, 10:07:54 AM
the Galway 13 takes the ball around all 15 of the Roscommon players before laying it off for a point.  Amazing solo running.  If Best was good no 13 was better...

That would be the extra time score when we had the game already thrown away. Some good Solo running by Walsh but without a much of challenge coming in though the score by Burke was good one.

The game before it Galways minor Michael Daly (son of Val) scored a better point IMO.

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 23, 2013, 10:52:02 PM
Derek Duggan for Roscommon in the 1991 Connacht final - cannot find a video for it;

An extract from  Q&A session with James Horan in the Irish Examiner last year describes it:

Greatest pressure free you've seen, hurling or football?

Derek Duggan of Roscommon in the 1991 Connacht final against Mayo. His team were a point behind, deep into injury-time, he was 65 yards out, a stiff breeze in his face, the ball was heavy from all the rain that day, and on top of all that, he was only 19. And yet he nailed it. It didn't just go over, it kept going and hit the top end of the protective netting which was a good bit back behind the goals. It's one of the best scores ever in championship football.

Was behind the goal that day & on my way out of the ground. One of the best scores/frees i have ever seen.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Wildweasel74

I got that mayo roscommon game on tape. (so no youtube link) best long range free i seen, and thats 22yrs down the line. There was the making of a mighty midfielder in him, though he was a bit lazy. Roscommon had already a good midfield bck them with Newton, cant remember the other man off hand but he was very good too.,oops  flash back, Seamus Killoran *cant remember surname

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 24, 2013, 06:41:14 PM
I got that mayo roscommon game on tape. (so no youtube link) best long range free i seen, and thats 22yrs down the line. There was the making of a mighty midfielder in him, though he was a bit lazy. Roscommon had already a good midfield bck them with Newton, cant remember the other man off hand but he was very good too.,oops  flash back, Seamus Kilorian *cant remember surname

Actually that was a great era of high fielders. Padden, McHale & Kilgallon for Mayo, Newton, Killoran & Paul Early inside for Ros.
MWWSI 2017

commonman

Some brilliant Mayo Ros clashes back in those days - we only had to turn up in 85 after beating galway in tuam and were soundly beaten 2-11 to 0-8, did Noel Durkan from ballaghdereen get one of the goals. Mayo had brendan lowry playing that day too, i think it was the weekend of the liveaid concerts if i remember correctly. that day will always be remembered for the mayo lads chairing dermot earley off the field. Then in 86 the roles were reversed, mayo hot favourites and a vintage performance fromTony Mc saw us home. A monaghan man Tom reilly did for us in the Hyde in 88 and then we had two marvellous games in 89 - we should have won the first day, paul earley denied a goal at the death by gabriel irwin, Tony Mc scored two goals in the replay, the last in injury time but we couldnt hang on, and jimmy burke from aughamore fell over the line with the ball in extra time long before joe sheridan made it fashionable. To make matters worse, a bird shat on me walking out of the hyde that evening.Duggan was the star of the show in 91, did he score 8 in the replay. 92 saw the broken crossbar and a start of two decades of almost unbroken mayo dominance.

Ball Hopper

I presume that Larry played under the name Damien for a reason?  Any thoughts on why?

No man, not even Larry, can  disguise the skills of a genius.  About the only failure that can attributed to him.

Syferus

I don't think it was the greatest point of all-time but this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDQA4saWfU - is the sweetest point I've seen from a Roscommon perspective, but it was one of the 'easiest' kicks Donie took all day. His performance (he'd only turned 20 a few months previous) in 2010 is up there with Duggan's in 1991.

Orchardman

I posted this comment by mistake about the donegal point but it was meant for this one about eamon burns from derry.

I havn't watched most of the points mentioned on here yet, but that is simply outstanding and would be my idea of a perfect score. Never realised he was that good, only knew of him when he around 30 or so, but see him in full flow there was briliant.

Never seen that game from 91, some excellent scores all round, great football from both sides.