The greatest point of the modern era

Started by rrhf, April 20, 2013, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Is 1991 still part of the "modern era"?

Damien O Reillys against Donegal in 1991 is as good as any score you will ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iZO2BmUxA

blanketattack

Quote from: trileacman on April 20, 2013, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 20, 2013, 04:00:39 PM
when did the modern era start>? Hard to see any beat Maurice Fitz point from the sideline against Dublin 10 odd yrs ago

Ah to be honest I consider points form open play to be of a higher quality than from dead balls. Hitting a free is no better than being a golfer.

Maurice Fitz was more closely marked and more trash talked for that sideline kick than for any point he scored from play. Also, as the crow flies he was 70 yards from goal.
It wasn't his most impressive sideline kick display, one game I saw him playing for UCC I saw him score 4 sideline kicks, two with his left and two with his right.

ONeill

Eamon McEnaney's point v Kerry in 1985 always sticks in my mind. He was about 30 out back then. I think he's 65 out now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2013, 10:53:07 PM
Eamon McEnaney's point v Kerry in 1985 always sticks in my mind. He was about 30 out back then. I think he's 65 out now.

That'd be mine too. 

Also, Maurice Fitzgerald v Dublin 01, Paul McGrane v Tyrone in 05, Ciaran McDonald v Dublin 06, Martin McHugh v Cavan 92, Johnny McGurk v Dublin 93, McConville v Dr Crokes 07.  All were big big scores.

BennyCake

James McCartan v Derry in 94, Celtic Park.  Monster score.

rrhf

Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2013, 01:59:06 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 20, 2013, 01:43:35 PM
Just watching Galway v Roscommon highlights there pre under 21 semi finals. Galway scored a point that could have a claim to be the greatest  point of the modern era.

Which one?
There's a point which reminds me of that great Brazilian World Cup goal.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on April 20, 2013, 06:22:41 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 20, 2013, 04:40:02 PM
Colm Coyles point from the halfway line in '96.

And what about this one from PJ Gillic?
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/1125455

The funny thing is that a lot of people would think they were lucky points.
Little do they know that kids are taught how to bounce the ball over the bar from long range at an early age in Meath.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stew

I think the best point  I ever saw was Fitzgerald's from the line, that was jaw dropping.

Mulligan's goal was as good a goal as has been scored in the noughties.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Quote from: stew on April 21, 2013, 02:47:24 AM
I think the best point  I ever saw was Fitzgerald's from the line, that was jaw dropping.

If we're talking goals nothing comes close to Karol Mannion's Connacht-winning goal for Brigids in 2006 for me, it wasn't one of those fluke points-that-dropped-short goals, he actually meant to go for goal and that he did it in the last gasps of a Connacht final - his club's first - only enhances it.

Hoof Hearted

Derry s Eamon Burns against down in Newry - early 90,s - wasnt from far out but the skill to get into position and score with the outside of the foot - brilliant.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Line Ball

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 21, 2013, 10:04:55 AM
Derry s Eamon Burns against down in Newry - early 90,s - wasnt from far out but the skill to get into position and score with the outside of the foot - brilliant.

Actually in Armagh - cracking point alright.

ballinaman

Graham Geraghty scored a ridiculous point versus Dublin a few years ago from the sideline by the Hogan stand with his right foot shooting into the Canal end, from the 50 too.

theticklemister

Quote from: stew on April 21, 2013, 02:47:24 AM

He broke the line; should never have counted.

rrhf

Watched that point again. It had pele esque resonances . For 1 moment I was transported to the 1970 World Cup some posh English commentary and sweaty South America 

Shamrock Shore

Yet to see it on a clip but Paul Barden of Longford v Down in AIQ in 2003 or thereabouts.

Got the ball in his own square and soloed, jinked, dodged, dummied and ran the length of the field and slotted it over the bar.

Wonderful - even the Down supporters cheered.