Stephen O'Neill

Started by NaomhBridAbú, April 15, 2013, 11:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count 10

Think he is a class act, would love to have his like on Armagh team.

lenny

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2013, 10:59:19 AM
2 great points, but we could appreciate them even more with a bit of decent camera work.
RTE are outdated with their fixed point cameras. A moving camera that was in line with the ball would really capture the points in all their glory.

this is another element to something I brought up a year or two ago when we were discussing tv/video evidence on here.

with the modern age, there are web cams that could be positioned all alroung the structure of croke park (or any GAA stadium) - for croker I'd say just under the premium level slab.
3D type footage can be pieced together from the real time footage.

There may be more editing for GAA to do, but these pictures would give steaming users potential control over the angle and view of the game they want. This would have to be after game time as I am not sure that it would be technically viable to do so live.

it would also help adjudicate on contentious scores or foul play/off the ball incidents.

with the low cost of this equipment, all or main county stadia could have a certain amount of web/ip cameras.

GAA could sell the footage for a higher premium to rte/tv3/setanta etc (I guess there would be bigger profit margin if we supplied our own equipment and furnish media companies with the finished article (game footage).

IF SON could remain inj free for a season it would be fantastic to watch his repetoire of skills. He really is an score taking artist.

Gerard Cavlan was a sublime footballer but like many (prob myself included), couldnt beat psychological issues to enable him to play at the level he was very capable of.

He was dogged with injury.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2013, 03:57:46 PM
thankfully they are a lot more sophisticated in the neighbouring Derry parish.
the Aughabrack ones are nice folk, a bit simple but nice. e.g. Fuzzman!

Aughabrack lady Annie Browne (Stevie's great-aunt) gave so much to the neighbouring parish heathens, being the esteemed and much adored Ma of Gerry, Eddie, Ciaran, etc., Mc Elhinney!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rodman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2013, 03:28:00 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on April 16, 2013, 10:59:19 AM
2 great points, but we could appreciate them even more with a bit of decent camera work.
RTE are outdated with their fixed point cameras. A moving camera that was in line with the ball would really capture the points in all their glory.

this is another element to something I brought up a year or two ago when we were discussing tv/video evidence on here.

with the modern age, there are web cams that could be positioned all alroung the structure of croke park (or any GAA stadium) - for croker I'd say just under the premium level slab.
3D type footage can be pieced together from the real time footage.

There may be more editing for GAA to do, but these pictures would give steaming users potential control over the angle and view of the game they want. This would have to be after game time as I am not sure that it would be technically viable to do so live.

it would also help adjudicate on contentious scores or foul play/off the ball incidents.

with the low cost of this equipment, all or main county stadia could have a certain amount of web/ip cameras.

GAA could sell the footage for a higher premium to rte/tv3/setanta etc (I guess there would be bigger profit margin if we supplied our own equipment and furnish media companies with the finished article (game footage).

IF SON could remain inj free for a season it would be fantastic to watch his repetoire of skills. He really is an score taking artist.

Gerard Cavlan was a sublime footballer but like many (prob myself included), couldnt beat psychological issues to enable him to play at the level he was very capable of.

Cavlan was a regular in the Tyrone team for 8+ years, probably the 2nd name on the team sheet after Canavan, and has an all Ireland medal in his back pocket so I'd argue he did play at the level he was capable of.

Pangurban

Stephen O Neill is one of those exceptional players, who will be remembered and talked about for years after he stops playing. Grandfathers of the future will tell their grand-children about him. The only comparable Tyrone forward would be Iggy Jones back in the fifties and early sixties. Peter Canavan was a great player but not in the same class as O Neill

From the Bunker

Quote from: Pangurban on April 17, 2013, 12:52:16 AM
Stephen O Neill is one of those exceptional players, who will be remembered and talked about for years after he stops playing. Grandfathers of the future will tell their grand-children about him. The only comparable Tyrone forward would be Iggy Jones back in the fifties and early sixties. Peter Canavan was a great player but not in the same class as O Neill

;D

Syferus

I remember when Stephen O'Neill was the lesser of the S. O'Neills plying their trade at inter-county. Ah, those were the days.

Some player but what the Lord was he thinking retiring when he did? It'd be like Bertie giving up elections after 1997 - the best years were ahead!

INDIANA

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 16, 2013, 06:52:22 PM
not even the best player in Tyrone in the past 20yrs

I'd have to disagree. Would be a toss up between him and Canavan for me..

Players are rarely appreciated in their own counties to the same extent as other counties fear them. Usually to get a better analysis you have to go outside.

I remember in 2010 talking to a group of Tyrone fans over a pint after the game we beat them narrowly in the quarter final. They were saying Bernard Brogan was the best current footballer in Ireland. At the time I was thinking he was top class but I didn't think he was the best player in the country. Got me thinking me though.

For me O Neills performances in 2005 haven't been surpassed by any forward and are unlikely to be.

He is one of the few players you would bring kids quite a distance to watch playing. Its strange however that Tyrone seem quite unable to find a forward to get near his standard.

shawshank

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 16, 2013, 11:10:30 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 16, 2013, 03:57:46 PM
thankfully they are a lot more sophisticated in the neighbouring Derry parish.
the Aughabrack ones are nice folk, a bit simple but nice. e.g. Fuzzman!

Aughabrack lady Annie Browne (Stevie's great-aunt) gave so much to the neighbouring parish heathens, being the esteemed and much adored Ma of Gerry, Eddie, Ciaran, etc., Mc Elhinney!  ;)

Isn't that a bloody good one. It is all about genes.

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on April 17, 2013, 07:40:06 AM

Players are rarely appreciated in their own counties to the same extent as other counties fear them. Usually to get a better analysis you have to go outside.

I remember in 2010 talking to a group of Tyrone fans over a pint after the game we beat them narrowly in the quarter final. They were saying Bernard Brogan was the best current footballer in Ireland. At the time I was thinking he was top class but I didn't think he was the best player in the country. Got me thinking me though.

For me O Neills performances in 2005 haven't been surpassed by any forward and are unlikely to be.

He is one of the few players you would bring kids quite a distance to watch playing. Its strange however that Tyrone seem quite unable to find a forward to get near his standard.

Tyrone are unable to get a forward near his standard? What do you mean? We have the man himself - thats as close to his standard as you'll get. If you are suggesting that its strange that we dont have another one? Well players like him dont exactly grow in the bushes!

Stevie is massively well regarded but we have been spoiled in Tyrone with Peter in the 90's and Frank McGuigan in 80s. People from my generation will remember the performances of Canavan circa 1993-1996 and probably place him a notch above Stevie on the basis of that. This is not to diminish the regard with which O'Neill is held. I would suggest that if Stevie can drag, what could be a relatively average Tyrone team, (in comparison to the 2003-2008 era) to an All Ireland final, like Peter did in 1995, then he may just be able to take his seat alongside Canavan at the top of the tree for me.
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

Well Frank might be top of the tree, its hard to say, as he played in a era when the game was harder but not as fit/mobile compared to today standards, probably only seen glimpses of greatness that frank mcguigan was capable off, between america, car accident etc.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I wouldn't go that far but from a Tyrone perspective - and even more for Stevie himself I'm sure - that summer was a tantalising glimpse of what he was capable of at his very best. If you look at the Mickey Harte era with the senior team from 2003 I think SON has only been genuinely injury free in the championships of 2004 and 2005. He has played some great games since his return in 2008 but then ended up carrying an injury or two come the summer. This year must be his best run of games injury free since 2005. Hope for his sake it continues and we get a good summer out of him.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 17, 2013, 01:43:02 PM

Tyrone are unable to get a forward near his standard? What do you mean? We have the man himself - thats as close to his standard as you'll get. If you are suggesting that its strange that we dont have another one? Well players like him dont exactly grow in the bushes!

Stevie is massively well regarded but we have been spoiled in Tyrone with Peter in the 90's and Frank McGuigan in 80s. People from my generation will remember the performances of Canavan circa 1993-1996 and probably place him a notch above Stevie on the basis of that. This is not to diminish the regard with which O'Neill is held. I would suggest that if Stevie can drag, what could be a relatively average Tyrone team, (in comparison to the 2003-2008 era) to an All Ireland final, like Peter did in 1995, then he may just be able to take his seat alongside Canavan at the top of the tree for me.

You would have imagined with the interest in football in tyrone and a number of all ireland minor titles you would get one forward ready to take over. Maybe not to the same level- but not far off it.

To be honest you have no-one yet and when he retires I don't know what you're going to do. He'll probably play at club level till he's 40 plus but at county level he's probably got 2 years max after this one.

ONeill

Quote from: Pangurban on April 17, 2013, 12:52:16 AM

Ah no. Stephen is an exceptional and effortless point taker. Canavan could pick the ball up at midfield, jink around half the defence, ship tackle after tackle and then score off his left foot whilst being milled in the process, like Iggy Jones. You've got the wrong comparison there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVJtHiR-qk
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.