Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on April 20, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2013, 12:52:24 AM
Quote from: trileacman on April 20, 2013, 12:44:07 AM
Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2013, 12:35:59 AM
Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2013, 12:14:52 AM
Imagine if this level of coverage existed during the troubles.

I know we're awesome and all that craic, but helping found modern freedom fighting/terrorism is one of our country's legacies dirtiest legacies and one that hasn't been properly explored in terms of its international impact. Even Che studied Mick Collins and his leadership of the IRB.

That's a load of shit.

You'd want to back up definitive statements a bit more than that if you want anything more than a shouting match.

The IRB's guerrilla tactics in the War of Independence formed the basis for modern 20th and 21st century rebel tactics, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Organising small bands of men into cells who operate semi-independently using the element of surprise almost exclusively didn't enter other guerrillas' heads by an act of God.

Firstly is contributing to freedom-fighting "one of our dirtiest legacy"?

Secondly the black-hands were organised into small bands of men organising high profile attacks in urban areas and that was in 1914, the actions of which undoubtedly laid the foundations for almost all of the major armed conflicts in the world since. We did not invent "small bands of men in cells who operate semi-independently using the element of surprise almost exclusively", it existed before 1918. Secondly the IRA tactics of 1916-1921 were (for the most part) to attack armed forces, members of the British security forces and "conspirators" in Ireland.

Surprise bombing/attacks on British homeland and targeting it's civilian population (a major factor of today's terrorist and American strategy) was not integrated into the War of Independence and you can not easily trace back modern terrorist tactics to Mick Collins and the boys.

Some characteristics are shared but to declare a definite lineage between the two is a load of shite.

I wasn't just referring to the War of Independence, that was only an example I used afterwards to highlight one point. A lot of modern-day extremists have drawn tactical inspiration from both the Provo IRA and unionist splinter groups' tactics too. That Mick Collins' leadership of the IRB represented the birth of modern guerilla warfare is not a new opinion, indeed it's a very widespread one.

No one is saying or little country is the only source of inspiration but our legacy is almost unmatched in terms of its overall influence on guerilla tactics the world over. Trying to ignore that by saying it's a 'load of shite' is, well, a load of shite.

maigheo

Quote from: give her dixie on April 20, 2013, 12:37:58 PM
You know, this manhunt for the second Boston bomber has been an embarrassment for US law enforcement. They had enough firepower in this small Boston suburb of Watertown to start World War III - umpteen SWAT teams, the FBI, cops, National Guard, armoured vehicles, helicopters, all the most up to date comms technology, and they still couldn't track down a wounded 19 year kid.

In the end it was a regular guy walking out of his house after the lock down was ended who found him hiding in his boat.
jeez give it a rest GHD.We already know you hate the USA and I am sure you will be posting some madcap conspiracy theory later on ,that the US government was involved in the bombings.

Puckoon

Not a chance they are embarrassed. Not a snowballs hope in hell to be perfectly frank about it.

When I look around my Facebook and twittersphere the only people making any noise are people I know to be American right wing anti Obama everything's, and non Americans who are heavily critical of the USA in general.

Most of the connections that I'd classify as ordinary non political folk are grateful and thànkful that it's over.

seafoid

Does anyone know how much it all cost? I wonder how many homicides happened over the 5 days. But that must be different .

Puckoon

Quote from: gallsman on April 20, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/312193/250/Boston-bombing-suspects-did-not-rob-7-11

Stew, this is why you wait for facts to emerge before going off on one.

Lets be honest here. Of the laundry list they were accused of, having the 7-11 robbery taken off the books is no real impact whatsoever. You don't have a manhunt for a 7-11 stick up.

stew

Quote from: give her dixie on April 20, 2013, 12:37:58 PM
You know, this manhunt for the second Boston bomber has been an embarrassment for US law enforcement. They had enough firepower in this small Boston suburb of Watertown to start World War III - umpteen SWAT teams, the FBI, cops, National Guard, armoured vehicles, helicopters, all the most up to date comms technology, and they still couldn't track down a wounded 19 year kid.

In the end it was a regular guy walking out of his house after the lock down was ended who found him hiding in his boat.

This 19 year old kid destroyed lives, families and butchered a child, you have always had a hard on for the US and your post is ignorant and wrong.

There are more than 4 million people living in that city, they had to go house by house, building by building to get this bastard and they had to do it keeping the people safe. an embarrassment? really? I think they did a tremendous job from start until now.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GJL

I'm not the biggest fan of the US myself but I think in the circumstances they could not have done much better. This "kid" should get what ever treatment is needed to get him in a state where he can be interrogated in order to find motivation for the attack. When he is of no more use then cracking rocks for the rest of his life the rotten evil child killer.

J70

Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2013, 04:23:11 PM
Does anyone know how much it all cost? I wonder how many homicides happened over the 5 days. But that must be different .

Yeah, just a little different.  :o

Sea The Stars

When you listen to former classmates and friends talking about the youngest of the brothers, I do wonder how did he manage to turn out so violent? I wonder what got to him to drive him to such destructive acts.

What were the sequence of events surrounding the shooting of the policeman? Was there an unrelated robbery going on nearby and were the lads in the wrong place at the wrong time?

The reporting on the matter has also been bad, not that I'm an expert in the field of media. But RTE had a journalist on yesterday's 6 o'clock news who said a policeman he'd known for over 30 years had told him that they'd surrounded a house and had the suspect cornered off inside? No truth to that obviously. Also the reporting of a third bomb at a library....anyone know what that was about.

stew

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2013, 06:07:43 PM

wtf are you on?

Actually that post is starting to make a lot of sense given the poster!

Mike Sheehy

Why are there 21 pages on this yet not a single mention anywhere on gaaboard about the earthquake in china ? Could somebody explain that ?

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 20, 2013, 06:47:09 PM
Why are there 21 pages on this yet not a single mention anywhere on gaaboard about the earthquake in china ? Could somebody explain that ?

Not true Mr Angry, there is a reference to it on page 21  ;)

seafoid

It is because terrsm threatens the authority of the state and homicides are run of the mill. But for those killed and their families there is no real difference

seafoid

Quote from: stew on April 20, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

wtf are you on?

Actually that post is starting to make a lot of sense given the poster!
Americans are far more likely to die in a car accident, stew, but terrorism gets all the attention. It is political. Obesity is also far more dangerous. But carry on.

gallsman

Quote from: Puckoon on April 20, 2013, 04:25:33 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 20, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/312193/250/Boston-bombing-suspects-did-not-rob-7-11

Stew, this is why you wait for facts to emerge before going off on one.

Lets be honest here. Of the laundry list they were accused of, having the 7-11 robbery taken off the books is no real impact whatsoever. You don't have a manhunt for a 7-11 stick up.

Clearly - the point is that wild speculation without knowing the facts (as our esteemed Armagh born, Wisconsin residing conservative hawk evidently wasn't) can end up having consequences for innocent people, two or whom have already been named in this thread who appear to have been incorrectly labelled as suspects for no reason other than unadulterated racism. Have a read of the below about what can go wrong when a mob mentality takes over:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/19/boston-bombing-suspects-reddit-social-media

If you can't be arsed, I've picked out my favourite line:

"Some of the speculation bordered on the farcical. One bag-toting presumed suspect, named "Blue Robe Guy" by users, was accused of such actions as "trying to look nonchalant"."

Why can't people just let a professional investigation run its course without leaping to conclusions when they clearly know absolutely f**k all about the case other than internet and media fuelled hysteria?