Explosion at Boston Marathon

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 19, 2013, 04:36:41 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 19, 2013, 04:29:59 PM
No, they aren't convicted already. They ain't looking like Sacco and Vanzetti however.
Stew seems to think they are, there is probably a good chance that they could be guilty but there has already two people wrongly accused, caution needed here I would think. There has been enough high profile cases of wrongly accused people in Ireland for people not to jump to conclusions.

The dead lad was guilty, he and the other lad admitted it to the driver they kidnapped, he died with bombs strapped to his body, his uncle has asked the tr**p that's still alive to give himself up and beg forgiveness.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

I think you're right on a level. I also think that the rapid increase in domestic and foreign terrorist acts throughout the world are making it incredibly difficult to exercise caution, and I understand that completely.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on April 19, 2013, 04:43:24 PM
No, they aren't convicted already. They ain't looking like Sacco and Vanzetti however.
Stew seems to think they are, there is probably a good chance that they could be guilty but there has already two people wrongly accused, caution needed here I would think. There has been enough high profile cases of wrongly accused people in Ireland for people not to jump to conclusions.

The dead lad was guilty, he and the other lad admitted it to the driver they kidnapped, he died with bombs strapped to his body, his uncle has asked the tr**p that's still alive to give himself up and beg forgiveness.

Spoke to the driver, did you? Just wait and let the truth come out ffs.

deiseach

I know I've referenced The Onion's Our Dumb Century already this afternoon, but it puts it better than any amount of contemporary links:

seafoid

Remember the time a paediatrician was attacked in England because the Sun ran a campaign against paedophiles. Mobs are dangerous especially when they are full of really stupid people. 

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Puckoon on April 19, 2013, 04:45:11 PM
I think you're right on a level. I also think that the rapid increase in domestic and foreign terrorist acts throughout the world are making it incredibly difficult to exercise caution, and I understand that completely.

During the troubles the Guildford and Birmingham bombings would have been seen as foreign terrorist acts to many (I know many would argue on the syntax of the wording of the act e.g. terrorism/freedom fighting/domestic/foreign etc).
I don't remember them attacks but I'm sure there was the same outrage/panic/anger etc as now with Boston. However, one thing it should have taught us, is not to jump to conclusions (even though they are very easy to reach).

BennyCake

Quote from: NAG1 on April 19, 2013, 03:17:49 PM
Cone on Leo keep up, he is winding up about the conspiracies that grow up around these events.
The chat with Jack Ruby was that he killed LHO before he got a chance to reveal embarrassing secrets. Whilst maybe not on this level, it might still be 'cleaner' for the authorities for both suspects to be dead and therefore they can tell whatever version of the truth they like, or one which fits best.

The words Nail and Head come to mind.

So what's the odds this other guy will survive? I'm guessing one zillion to one. For the reasons explained above by Nag.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2013, 04:55:08 PM
Remember the time a paediatrician was attacked in England because the Sun ran a campaign against paedophiles. Mobs are dangerous because they are full of really stupid people.

Fixed that for you.

An example of jumping to conclusions closer to home for those of us on this board: how many of us were told with certainty that the man in the X case was Paddy Cullen? It was one of RTÉ Sport's finest hours that they had him on the next edition of The Sunday Game, to let people know that what they had heard from the man in the pub was wrong.

Puckoon

I think that's a fair point. I guess I believe that Guilford and Birmingham was very much at the start of the curve for such atrocities with scant regard for collateral damage and human life. It has only grown exponentially since then, both in frequency and in intensity. I don't know how you effectively police against people who strap explosives to themselves, and are determined to take as many people with them as they can, while at the same time exercising caution in a city the size of Boston and trying to protect the general population vs a small number of unlucky/badly profiled/correctly profiled suspects. I don't know how its possible. It has to be suggested that the situation arises because the evil actions of a few, and action taken in the immediate aftermath isn't just taken for laughs.

Stall the Bailer

All that can be done is for people to be vigilant, let the authorties do their job and hope that there is no lynch mob gathering where innocent people could be caught up in

tyssam5

Quote from: Puckoon on April 19, 2013, 05:04:17 PM
I think that's a fair point. I guess I believe that Guilford and Birmingham was very much at the start of the curve for such atrocities with scant regard for collateral damage and human life. It has only grown exponentially since then, both in frequency and in intensity. I don't know how you effectively police against people who strap explosives to themselves, and are determined to take as many people with them as they can, while at the same time exercising caution in a city the size of Boston and trying to protect the general population vs a small number of unlucky/badly profiled/correctly profiled suspects. I don't know how its possible. It has to be suggested that the situation arises because the evil actions of a few, and action taken in the immediate aftermath isn't just taken for laughs.

Calm the f**k down, that's how.

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyCake on April 19, 2013, 05:01:26 PM
Cone on Leo keep up, he is winding up about the conspiracies that grow up around these events.
The chat with Jack Ruby was that he killed LHO before he got a chance to reveal embarrassing secrets. Whilst maybe not on this level, it might still be 'cleaner' for the authorities for both suspects to be dead and therefore they can tell whatever version of the truth they like, or one which fits best.

So what's the odds this other guy will survive? I'm guessing one zillion to one. For the reasons explained above by Nag.

Are you saying that is in the authorities best interests that he doesn't survive or are you playing devils advocate?

Syferus

I thought I joined a GAA forum, not the Irish branch of the Illuminati Hunters.

From the Bunker

Quote from: LeoMc on April 19, 2013, 05:45:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 19, 2013, 05:01:26 PM

Are you saying that is in the authorities best interests that he doesn't survive or are you playing devils advocate?

His ass is grass! There is something stink about all of this, it just has a wrong feeling to it!

give her dixie

I have been following most of this story on the news over the past 12 hours, as I have not been near the internet. However, one thing that is very clear, the Boston incident has been top news steadily for days now, and the Waco explosion is way down the list. 14 people are dead there, and it is 3rd or 4th in the news reporting.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......