Explosion at Boston Marathon

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: ballinaman on April 16, 2013, 11:59:30 AM
Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2013, 10:15:41 AM
Post from frfintanstack on boards.ie:

I had just crossed the finish line about 20 seconds before the first blast. Came in a few seconds behind Gerry Carr from the dublin marathon who had kept me going for the last 2 kilometers. Very loud blast, then smoke and the sound of breaking glass showering down. It was surreal, very hard to know how you'd react in that situation till it happens. I just tried to move away when I heard the second blast and started to get worried was I walking into the path of next one.

A stampede started after that, people getting trampled. All the while most of the normal stuff at the end of a marathon kept going on....people collecting medals, getting drinks etc. I'm here with an college team of 10 running for charity. Most of those finishing with me were the charity runners in wave 3. The enormity of it is just hitting home now. 20 seconds slower and I was right at the site and they are saying on tv over here that there was a device that didnt go off on copley square. Exactly where I was when the other 2 went off.

Thank god all my gang are ok. Thoughts are with the injured and deceased and their friends and families
Unreal. Thank god. In the video where the bomb is seen going off at the finish line, you can still see people flicking their watches while looking back at what's going on. Runners eh?

Are you saying that runners (and perhaps these ones on particular) are insensitive?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on April 16, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
Unreal. Thank god. In the video where the bomb is seen going off at the finish line, you can still see people flicking their watches while looking back at what's going on. Runners eh?

Are you saying that runners (and perhaps these ones on particular) are insensitive?

Single-minded?

ballinaman

Quote from: deiseach on April 16, 2013, 12:17:36 PM

Single-minded?
Yes, I don't think they really knew what was happening, could have been fireworks or something. Flicking the watch is an almost automatic thing for most runners.

Bingo

Jaysus, very much doubt anyone is saying or thinking that. Its just a very natural reaction to finishing an event that months of focus has gone into and they would have little idea what caused the explosion. At that stage these runners where out on their feet.

You see T-shirts at running events and online aimed at long distance runners with a slogan something like "If I fall over/collapse, please stop my Garmin". So the comment was along these lines.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2013, 12:28:01 PM

Jaysus, very much doubt anyone is saying or thinking that. Its just a very natural reaction to finishing an event that months of focus has gone into and they would have little idea what caused the explosion. At that stage these runners where out on their feet.

You see T-shirts at running events and online aimed at long distance runners with a slogan something like "If I fall over/collapse, please stop my Garmin". So the comment was along these lines.
This.

J70

Quote from: southdown on April 16, 2013, 11:41:46 AM
It seems to me that an American life is valued more than any other nationality in the world, judging the media and people's reactions (which are driven by the media).

Of course this is an awful tragedy, but it is not on our doorstep as some people have being saying.  Iraq/Afghanistan are actually closer to here than the US.

I think people are right to compare other bombings etc to highlight this point.

Half the people on the board have probably either been to Boston or have friends or relatives there. One of my wife's closest friends went to Boston for the marathon. Any of us or those close to us could have been caught up in it. It's just silly to take offense at the fact that this hit closer to home than atrocities in the middle east.

stew

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on April 16, 2013, 07:48:17 AM
Quote from: stew on April 15, 2013, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 15, 2013, 09:24:03 PM
Police confirm 1st bomb was homemade. Some right wing nut job. Patriots day in the states

You might want to wait until the facts come out, you have no idea who it is! ::)

Eammonca already has it down to jihadists, you missed that one. You're right about speculation though.

Funny thing is nobody was  blaming the left wing nuts at all on here, just the right wingers and Jihadists.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ballinaman

Quote from: stew on April 16, 2013, 12:49:10 PM
Police confirm 1st bomb was homemade. Some right wing nut job. Patriots day in the states

You might want to wait until the facts come out, you have no idea who it is! ::)

Eammonca already has it down to jihadists, you missed that one. You're right about speculation though.

Funny thing is nobody was  blaming the left wing nuts at all on here, just the right wingers and Jihadists.
Alex Jones is blaming the FBI. infowars.com has been interesting to say the least since it happened.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 16, 2013, 12:51:32 PM

Alex Jones is blaming the FBI. infowars.com has been interesting to say the least since it happened.

See the "False Flag" theory raised in a few places. Some crazy stuff online at times.

stew

Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2013, 12:52:54 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 16, 2013, 12:51:32 PM

See the "False Flag" theory raised in a few places. Some crazy stuff online at times.

My hope is that they get the bastids who did it and not take a scapegoat, I was worried yesterday when they had a person of interest who was badly hurt, I wondered what nationality he was, he is no longer a suspect and now they can spend their time catching these hoors whomever they are!

J70

What left wing groups would you pinpoint as being as plausible as Islamic or right wing groups?

stew

Quote from: J70 on April 16, 2013, 01:11:15 PM

Oh I dunno, maybe the left wingers that think like Pelosi and consider it acceptable to give the president the power to kill American citizens, people like that you know!

Anarchists and communists tend to be left wing nuts do they not?

What left wing groups would you pinpoint as being as plausible as Islamic or right wing groups?

Declan

2 suspicious packages in Manhattan,

1 in Brooklyn,

Still no closer to anyone claiming responsibilty

J70

Quote from: stew on April 16, 2013, 01:21:03 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 16, 2013, 01:11:15 PM
Oh I dunno, maybe the left wingers that think like Pelosi and consider it acceptable to give the president the power to kill American citizens, people like that you know!

So there have been reports of groups of leftists out there who are assuming permission to carry out terrorist attacks based on the Obama administration's argument that they can execute US citizens who pose an imminent threat?

Or you don't have an answer and you trying to score political points?

Jeepers Creepers

Suspicious packages will 'appear' everywhere as people have a heightened fear of everthing thing around them...