Explosion at Boston Marathon

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 15, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Some reference to the attacks in Irag/Afgan yesterday on here and many more on social media etc. Its like some people just want to be more "tuned in" or political and look to score points by comparing peoples reaction and the media's coverage of both. I don't think there is an easy answer to this. The bombings in Iraq/Afgan etc seem to be the norm not the exception, hence the medias indifference to them. Also, the reason of these attacks are complex and have been lost amongst the ongoing conflicts, Americans presence, tribal conflicts, etc etc. They seem to happen and the reaction is when is the next one going to happen. Its expected almost and they are so extreme, the authorities are powerless to stop them.

People quoting these attacks are also making the assumption that they are somehow linked, even if that is as loose as the Boston attacks where carried out by jihadists. That is far from certain at this early stage. Its as if they are saying, sure this happened today and its all america's fault, so don't be surprised when it happens here.

But i think the main difference is that the Boston attacks are "on our doorstep" ie in our world and at an event that we take for granted. No one expects it, see's it coming or can understand it when it does happen. Its senseless. The Iraq attacks are expected, there is a vague but complex reason why they happen, so in way it makes a twisted sort of sense to us. We also expect to feel safe and its a shock when we realise we aren't.

Its very hard to fake shock, with Boston we are shocked, sadly with events in Iraq, its no more than an afterthought.

give her dixie

Shocking stuff all right, but pales in comparison to the hundreds of children killed in Afghanistan by the use of unmanned Drones by Obama. Just 2 weeks ago 12 children were among 18 killed by Drones in a single attack and there wasn't too much said about them.

To me, it doesn't matter what nationality a child is, they have as much a right to life as anyone in this crazy world.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Bingo

Post from frfintanstack on boards.ie:

I had just crossed the finish line about 20 seconds before the first blast. Came in a few seconds behind Gerry Carr from the dublin marathon who had kept me going for the last 2 kilometers. Very loud blast, then smoke and the sound of breaking glass showering down. It was surreal, very hard to know how you'd react in that situation till it happens. I just tried to move away when I heard the second blast and started to get worried was I walking into the path of next one.

A stampede started after that, people getting trampled. All the while most of the normal stuff at the end of a marathon kept going on....people collecting medals, getting drinks etc. I'm here with an college team of 10 running for charity. Most of those finishing with me were the charity runners in wave 3. The enormity of it is just hitting home now. 20 seconds slower and I was right at the site and they are saying on tv over here that there was a device that didnt go off on copley square. Exactly where I was when the other 2 went off.

Thank god all my gang are ok. Thoughts are with the injured and deceased and their friends and families

seafoid

Quote from: give her dixie on April 16, 2013, 10:14:33 AM
Shocking stuff all right, but pales in comparison to the hundreds of children killed in Afghanistan by the use of unmanned Drones by Obama. Just 2 weeks ago 12 children were among 18 killed by Drones in a single attack and there wasn't too much said about them.

To me, it doesn't matter what nationality a child is, they have as much a right to life as anyone in this crazy world.
Bombing kids doesn't make America safe but in this case I think the enemy lives within.

Bingo

Yes of course, a childs life, any life, anywhere, shouldn't be classed above another life.

But why the comparison here? Do you think they are connected or that the reporting off one in any way belittles the other? Does one justify or excuse the other?

Not saying by any means you are saying this but just trying to get a sense of why people having been quoting previous incidents as you have.

Milltown Row2

Totally, and there is no difference in the lives taken here during the troubles like McGurks Bar, Omagh, Enniskillen, Monaghan, Bloody Friday, and Dublin. The senselessness of it all has made me wonder how humans can do this for a cause and if there is a heaven do they actually think that killing people like this will find them happiness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 15, 2013, 10:55:23 PM
Really don't understand the mentality of people who stand filming carnage around them instead of sticking the phone in the pocket and trying to help.

Was saying the very same thing yesterday when all this footage started appearing. So many useless p***ks walking around with cameras getting in the way of people actually trying to help. d**kheads.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2013, 10:24:23 AM
But why the comparison here? Do you think they are connected or that the reporting off one in any way belittles the other? Does one justify or excuse the other?

Should this turn out to be the work of Islamic terrorists, more children in Afghanistan will die. It'd be nice to think Obama would stay his hand, but it won't happen because the children who die in Boston are some mother's child while those who die in Afghanistan are collateral damage. To quote Auden: And when he cried the little children died in the streets.

southdown

It seems to me that an American life is valued more than any other nationality in the world, judging the media and people's reactions (which are driven by the media).

Of course this is an awful tragedy, but it is not on our doorstep as some people have being saying.  Iraq/Afghanistan are actually closer to here than the US.

I think people are right to compare other bombings etc to highlight this point.

bennydorano

Does America's cultural domination really have to be explained to anyone?  Rights and wrongs of it are a different argument.

cornerback

Quote from: southdown on April 16, 2013, 11:41:46 AM
Of course this is an awful tragedy, but it is not on our doorstep as some people have being saying.  Iraq/Afghanistan are actually closer to here than the US.

But it is on our "doorstep" when many people have brothers, sisters, cousins & friends in Boston

southdown

Boston yes, but in general the US in not. 

Syferus

It seems to me that an American life is valued more than any other nationality in the world, judging the media and people's reactions (which are driven by the media).

Eh? Distance aside (does it really matter that one location is a few hundred or less miles away than another?) Iraq and Ireland have absolutely nothing that ties us closer to them than to the US.

The US is on our doorstep in every sense that matters to people, culturally, politically, ethnically.

The reaction is natural, if sometimes overblown by American news stations. A bomb going off in an American city where none have before is always going to resonate with people more than one in a culture we barely grasp and who suffer simliar indignities on too-regular a basis.

Bingo

Doorstep may have been wrong turn of phrase but we can relate to it as its somewhere where we could easily see ourselves, we know people who could be in attendence or its the type of event we would be at. We can't forsee ourselves at a market in Kabul or Baghbad, but we could be at a marathon, a football match, on holiday, at the races etc where we consider the risk of attack or risk to life as zero.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on April 16, 2013, 10:15:41 AM
Post from frfintanstack on boards.ie:

I had just crossed the finish line about 20 seconds before the first blast. Came in a few seconds behind Gerry Carr from the dublin marathon who had kept me going for the last 2 kilometers. Very loud blast, then smoke and the sound of breaking glass showering down. It was surreal, very hard to know how you'd react in that situation till it happens. I just tried to move away when I heard the second blast and started to get worried was I walking into the path of next one.

A stampede started after that, people getting trampled. All the while most of the normal stuff at the end of a marathon kept going on....people collecting medals, getting drinks etc. I'm here with an college team of 10 running for charity. Most of those finishing with me were the charity runners in wave 3. The enormity of it is just hitting home now. 20 seconds slower and I was right at the site and they are saying on tv over here that there was a device that didnt go off on copley square. Exactly where I was when the other 2 went off.

Thank god all my gang are ok. Thoughts are with the injured and deceased and their friends and families
Unreal. Thank god. In the video where the bomb is seen going off at the finish line, you can still see people flicking their watches while looking back at what's going on. Runners eh?