Tir Eoghain v Áth Cliath - NFL Final - Sunday 28th April - Páirc an Chrócaigh

Started by ziggysego, April 14, 2013, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Think we were booted out of a semi in 2001 due to foot & mouth?

tyroneman

Looking forward to the game but can't see anything other than a Comfortable Dublin win.

Tyrone defence far too porous and SoN can have as many 'off' as 'on' days.

Really need a triple threat scoring unit to emerge. Potential is there but still raw.

BluestackBoy

Fuzzman

Clann na nGael

Re: Tir Eoghain v Áth Cliath - NFL Final - Sunday 28th April - Páirc an Chrócaigh
« Reply #108 on: Today at 11:17:59 AM »
It speaks volumes for the state of our game that we have so many 'neutrals' wanting the Dubs to do well for the year ahead. People who often in the past would have liked to see anyone but Dublin do well (well maybe not Kerry).

I must admit I too would be glad to see football take a step in the right direction and move away from the more defensive focus. I suppose Gavin believes that maybe for the first time in years Dublin have the raw talent to build an attack minded team that can go out and play to outscore their opponents.
Whilst I was glad to see Donegal win only their second AI, I really would hate to see the game progress down that style of a game. I know Tyrone have had a big role to play in that with their swarm defence back in 2003 but we've also put up massive scores back in those years and also this year in the league we've often scored 1.15 or more.

In last year's Ulster championship Donegal scored 5-59 in four games, more than the 1-15 per game you quote. They the went on to score 3-39 in the remaining three fixtures, an average of 1-13, so when you say that you would hate to see teams "going down that road", all I can say is let's see more of it!!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 22, 2013, 11:17:59 AM

Whilst I was glad to see Donegal win only their second AI, I really would hate to see the game progress down that style of a game. I know Tyrone have had a big role to play in that with their swarm defence back in 2003 but we've also put up massive scores back in those years and also this year in the league we've often scored 1.15 or more.

In last year's Ulster championship Donegal scored 5-59 in four games, more than the 1-15 per game you quote. They the went on to score 3-39 in the remaining three fixtures, an average of 1-13, so when you say that you would hate to see teams "going down that road", all I can say is let's see more of it!!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 22, 2013, 11:17:59 AM
It speaks volumes for the state of our game that we have so many 'neutrals' wanting the Dubs to do well for the year ahead. People who often in the past would have liked to see anyone but Dublin do well (well maybe not Kerry).

No it doesn't. Dublin are not winning all the time and do not have the same dirt in them they had years ago so neutrals don't mind them as much.

Fuzzman

I take your 'point' about Donegal putting up big scores last year and they certainly weren't as defensive as the year before.
However, Dublin so far this year seem to have taken a whole new stance to an attacking style and seem to play 6 on 6 at the back. I think this is where a lot of neutrals will favour them now over teams like Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry etc.

I expect this match being very open and high scoring but then I expect the rest of the country to be groaning when they watch the Tyrone v Donegal game as you would expect that to take a similar form to what it took the last 2 years.

How do ye neutrals feel this league final will go? I would imagine most people expect Dublin to win handy enough.

Declan

QuoteHow do ye neutrals feel this league final will go? I would imagine most people expect Dublin to win handy enough.

This nuetral doesn't anyway
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0424/385326-opinion/

Hound

Were any of the current Tyrone panelists around in 2003 when they last won the league?

LeoMc

Quote from: Hound on April 24, 2013, 12:49:07 PM
Were any of the current Tyrone panelists around in 2003 when they last won the league?
Cavanagh, Gormley, McConnell & O'Neill are the last 4 I think.

God14

Pascal McConnell, Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh, SON, Dermot Carlin

Hound

Quote from: God14 on April 24, 2013, 12:57:36 PM

Pascal McConnell, Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh, SON, Dermot Carlin
Would be a good achievement to win NFL titles 10 years apart for any of those lads. I think if we'd won it in 2003, Cluxton would have been the only one left (albeit Alan Brogan too if he wasn't injured).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hound on April 24, 2013, 01:13:45 PM
Would be a good achievement to win NFL titles 10 years apart for any of those lads. I think if we'd won it in 2003, Cluxton would have been the only one left (albeit Alan Brogan too if he wasn't injured).

True, they'll be fired up for it no doubt.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Declan on April 24, 2013, 12:19:20 PM
QuoteHow do ye neutrals feel this league final will go? I would imagine most people expect Dublin to win handy enough.

This nuetral doesn't anyway
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0424/385326-opinion/

Sure what would he know? He thinks Derry will win the Div 2 title as well. Dublin at a canter.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...