Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 20, 2013, 11:23:01 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 20, 2013, 10:57:35 PM
I also don t subscribe to the notion we need to be strong for each other or anybody else either. The important thing in the championship now is to be alive in August and the cushier way you get there the better.Connacht dominance is a means to an end any more and as such is still important.

I wouldn't agree with that - tough games teach you how to fight to win a game, if you win all your games handy, you end up getting soft and may not have the stomach when it's backs-to-the-wall time. Just look at Dublin in the mid-noughties as an example. Not saying it will happen to this Mayo team but winning tough games is better than winning easy games.

Have to differ on it. Tough games necessary for emerging teams maybe but Mayo s priority now is avoiding injuries and getting to August with the minimum of fuss. We know where we need to be intensity wise.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Jinxy on May 20, 2013, 09:37:06 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2013, 07:18:05 PM
Unfortunately the phrase boys against men would have to be in your mind having watched that game. Galway were physically bullied yesterday by a more seasoned mature team. Before the throw-in Johnny Duane extended his hand towards Alan Dillon for a handshake and Dillon launched a shoulder at him, knocking him to the ground. Not one of Duane's teammates came over to give Dillon even a mild dunt for his troubles and let's face it Alan Dillon isn't exactly a renowned hard man. It summed up the difference in mentality between the sides. Mayo were there for a battle. Galway for a game of football by the seaside.

If you're being bullied by a Mayo team you may as well give up.
ya cannot bate thowl cliche
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2013, 07:09:59 PM
Quote from: mayo.mick on May 20, 2013, 06:59:46 PM
Have all the photos from the match yesterday uploaded to my online album here; http://pix.ie/mayomick/album/466305

You do great stuff documenting the games, MM. It'll really be something to look back on as an Rchive builds up.

Oh, and sorrry about my mate Mayo Mick. Lovely lad, though 8)
Talking to yourself

seafoid

The intensity is great but I presume it doesn't last very long. Mayo have to do it this year.
Or is it okay to wait for another year? 

Re turnovers- what were they called before the rugby lingo came in ?
And 4th phase possession - is that used yet ?

Mayo4Sam

You only go through the phases yet, it's hard to count them.
You win at the breakdown though, Kevin McL is very good at that.

Jinxy is there not a division three thread somewhere that you should be posting on?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

DJGaliv

The amount of pressing Mayo did high up the field was very impressive. Galway looked like a nice intermediate club team who barely won any individual battle all game. They appeared a team devoid of leaders.

What's the state of Galway club football at the moment? Speaking to a lot of people they say the standard has dropped significantly.

Well done Mayo, we deserved our hiding.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 21, 2013, 10:07:14 AM

Jinxy is there not a division three thread somewhere that you should be posting on?

I burned all my bridges with that thread months ago.
I can never go back.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2013, 10:34:00 AM

I can never go back.
Don't go back Jinxy, you should never go back.
You thought you knew what fuball was, what did you know?
Mayo are the boys of summer now. 

stephenite

Quote from: seafoid on May 21, 2013, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2013, 10:34:00 AM

I can never go back.
Don't go back Jinxy, you should never go back.
You thought you knew what fuball was, what did you know?
Mayo are the boys of summer now.

Quality

squire_in_navy_slacks

fair play to Mayo, a hungry savage performance............................. A OShea is the best midfielder in the country at the moment

screenexile

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 21, 2013, 11:04:17 AM
fair play to Mayo, a hungry savage performance............................. A OShea is the best midfielder in the country at the moment

No he's not!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: screenexile on May 21, 2013, 11:14:56 AM

No he's not!

Who then Aidan Walsh ????????????????  I stand by my opinion....if his lung capacity improves by 10 percent A OShea will be the best midfileder on display this year

muppet

No he's not!

Let me guess, Anthony Tohill?
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 21, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

No he's not!

Who then Aidan Walsh ????????????????  I stand by my opinion....if his lung capacity improves by 10 percent A OShea will be the best midfileder on display this year
Nah, I can't agree with you there.
He will be the second best midfielder we'll see this summer.
Indications are that Barry Moran is poised to make his return.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

screenexile

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 21, 2013, 11:17:03 AM

No he's not!

Aidan Walsh, MD MacAuley, Sean Cavanagh also did Gallagher of Donegal not give him a lesson last year?

He's a good footballer and has potential to be the best Midfielder in the country if his fitness improves but he's not yet!