Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

When the great  Michael Meehan was down injured in the 2nd half
A Galway 'supporter ' sitting behind me said,and I quote "thank f**k
and I hope he never wears the Galway jersey again"......now what is
a pig like that adding to the Galway cause?
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

belleaqua

Quote from: sans pessimism on May 20, 2013, 06:21:31 PM
When the great  Michael Meehan was down injured in the 2nd half
A Galway 'supporter ' sitting behind me said,and I quote "thank f**k
and I hope he never wears the Galway jersey again"......now what is
a pig like that adding to the Galway cause?

Don't think there is anyway of understanding that mindset I am afraid. You get all sorts!

mayo.mick

Have all the photos from the match yesterday uploaded to my online album here; http://pix.ie/mayomick/album/466305
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Syferus

Quote from: mayo.mick on May 20, 2013, 06:59:46 PM
Have all the photos from the match yesterday uploaded to my online album here; http://pix.ie/mayomick/album/466305

You do great stuff documenting the games, MM. It'll really be something to look back on as an Rchive builds up.

Oh, and sorrry about my mate Mayo Mick. Lovely lad, though 8)

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on May 20, 2013, 05:24:11 PM
The Galway display was up there with some of our woeful championship displays. It was so bad that even London would have beaten them

Connacht championship is very unfair on us this year -
Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo get warm up games but we have to go in cold. ;D
Any chance we could get Kilkenny in for us to play.
It's the only way we'll get a win in Connacht this year as we'll be very lucky to keep the ball kicked out on 16th June. :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Unfortunately the phrase boys against men would have to be in your mind having watched that game. Galway were physically bullied yesterday by a more seasoned mature team. Before the throw-in Johnny Duane extended his hand towards Alan Dillon for a handshake and Dillon launched a shoulder at him, knocking him to the ground. Not one of Duane's teammates came over to give Dillon even a mild dunt for his troubles and let's face it Alan Dillon isn't exactly a renowned hard man. It summed up the difference in mentality between the sides. Mayo were there for a battle. Galway for a game of football by the seaside.

Serious questions must be raised about Mulholland. Two games against Sligo and Mayo in consecutive years and 6 goals conceded (and it could have been more). You could have driven a bus through the centre of the Galway defence yesterday and not hit anyone. Strength and conditioning wise they were light years behind Mayo. Granted a Mayo side that is longer on the road and has 3 years of hard strength and conditioning work put in. The Galway U-21's from 2011 physically don't look any different now than they did then. Many of them are still quite scrawny and physically were unprepared to face a top division 1 side in championship. That said there is no way they should be losing a game that badly. I don't care if Mulholland had to put 14 men in defence for the first 20 minutes, just to settle them down, but it was criminal to leave a full-back line containing a 21, 22 and 21 year old so exposed. And it was the same against Sligo last year. As great as his underage record has been, Mulholland has to be judged now on his senior record and so far it has been appalling.

Congrats to Mayo. They did a very professional job. They'll certainly be there or thereabouts in August. All those Galway players can do now is store it in the memory banks for when the shoe will be on the other foot. Although that may still be a while off.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2013, 07:09:59 PM

You do great stuff documenting the games, MM. It'll really be something to look back on as an Rchive builds up.

I'm all confused, two Mayo Micks or is Syferus talking to himself again? Galway a poor side made Mayo a good side look great.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 20, 2013, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2013, 07:09:59 PM

I'm all confused, two Mayo Micks or is Syferus talking to himself again? Galway a poor side made Mayo a good side look great.

One mayo.mick, and another Mayo Mick. :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

belleaqua

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2013, 07:18:05 PM
Unfortunately the phrase boys against men would have to be in your mind having watched that game. Galway were physically bullied yesterday by a more seasoned mature team. Before the throw-in Johnny Duane extended his hand towards Alan Dillon for a handshake and Dillon launched a shoulder at him, knocking him to the ground. Not one of Duane's teammates came over to give Dillon even a mild dunt for his troubles and let's face it Alan Dillon isn't exactly a renowned hard man. It summed up the difference in mentality between the sides. Mayo were there for a battle. Galway for a game of football by the seaside.

Serious questions must be raised about Mulholland. Two games against Sligo and Mayo in consecutive years and 6 goals conceded (and it could have been more). You could have driven a bus through the centre of the Galway defence yesterday and not hit anyone. Strength and conditioning wise they were light years behind Mayo. Granted a Mayo side that is longer on the road and has 3 years of hard strength and conditioning work put in. The Galway U-21's from 2011 physically don't look any different now than they did then. Many of them are still quite scrawny and physically were unprepared to face a top division 1 side in championship. That said there is no way they should be losing a game that badly. I don't care if Mulholland had to put 14 men in defence for the first 20 minutes, just to settle them down, but it was criminal to leave a full-back line containing a 21, 22 and 21 year old so exposed. And it was the same against Sligo last year. As great as his underage record has been, Mulholland has to be judged now on his senior record and so far it has been appalling.

Congrats to Mayo. They did a very professional job. They'll certainly be there or thereabouts in August. All those Galway players can do now is store it in the memory banks for when the shoe will be on the other foot. Although that may still be a while off.

Hard to argue with any of that. The most concerned part being that the under 21s from 2 years ago don't seem to have pushed on physically at all at all. You would nearly take it for granted in this day and age that they are on strength and conditioning programmes but the questioned must be asked now are they? And if so they need reviewing fast.

I don't think Bradshaw should be given the captains armband again after yesterday. It was stupid and deserved as they were wild swings and 2 minutes into the 2nd half. Coleman's was a bit harmless but stupid. Dillion made an awful meal of it though having barrelled into him with a high tackle just before it off the ball.

Serious questions now for Mulholland. No plan, no development and wild naivety. I won't go back on my earlier comments that the talent is not there. I stand by that. However I don't think any county should be getting a 17 point hiding in Championship anymore. As slack and all as the options may be I think he could have devised a strategy that kept us competitive for 50 minutes, kept the score low and retained some pride.

I hate the managerial merry go rounds that have gone on but only he truthfully knows what more he can offer. His comments last week about being true to Galway's tradition and not playing 'a modern game' now seem like getting the excuses in early rather than his dedicated philosophy. I  think that this notion or romantic ideal doing the rounds of an almost Barcelona-esque style of play in footballing terms is getting a bit ridiculous and is a cop out for poor performances. 'Oh we are true to our style and tradition so its ok to get the sh*te bet out of us really and lose to Antrim and Wexford on a yearly basis.'

muppet

Nice one Mick.

What a great 24 hours that was!

To borrow rugby parlance the difference in the teams was the levels of intensity. And while Mayo could easily get beaten on any given day, such is the beauty of the knock-out format, you would expect that only teams that play at that level of intensity (or higher) are likely to beat us. Unfortunately for us there are a few such teams out there, Dublin and Donegal being the main two with Cork, Kerry and Tyrone definitely operating at that level.

Galway didn't know what to do with our high pressing game and some of the work of the forwards was amazing. When the turnovers arrived it was fantastic to see how quickly we turned them into scores. The O'Sheas did as they usually do and gave us a great platform in the middle, even though Galway played with at least 3 men there. I was impressed with Cummins for Galway and it was quickly obvious why Cunniffe was picked ahead of Keane. We may see a horses for courses approach to team selection in the backs this year and it will be interesting to watch that develop and Keane and McHale can certainly do jobs while Cunniffe's pace is a serious asset.

I would have given MOM to Boyle who was astonishing in winning 50/50 ball. I assume Caff was injured as he was his usual solid self before his substitution. Higgins burst of speed at the end showed why some of us would like to see him in the half-back line while Donal Vaughan must have the biggest engine of any player these days. We met him after the match with his family and I have to say what a modest, unassuming and extremely nice fella he is.

COC is becoming the main man for us nowadays and he was involved in most if not all of the goals. Dillon played very well, it was hard to believe he has played so little recently, while McLoughlin is a genius at positioning himself for the breaking ball although it was obvious that Aidan O'Shea was cleverly knocking a lot of ball down to him in favour of trying for the spectacular catch. Carolan is well worth his place and while I have been critical of Varley in the past, he had a very good outing yesterday. I would have left Freeman on. He did a lot of work for little reward and I was hoping a goal or a few points would come his way to boost his confidence.

Andy Moran coming on was a big plus and he showed how much it meant to him. Feeney did what he now invariably does and will feature as usual.

Clarke made the save when we needed it and there was a big improvement in the kickouts. I wonder did Galway not target us here or have we finally cracked it?

I thought the ref killed the game in the 2nd half and it wasn't surprising the intensity went out of it after the 2 red cards. Hard to know where to go from here for Galway. I saw Mullholland quoted as saying he might give the team 2 weeks off. I wouldn't be giving them 2 weeks off, they should be chomping at the bit to get back to work and to restore some pride in themselves and their county.

Finally, Galway, what a great town. Good craic with the Galway supporters afterwards as always and in what other sports would you get to have a drink with one of the players and his family after a big match? (Note 1: He was on the orange) (Note 2: I wasn't on the orange)
MWWSI 2017

Mayo4Sam

I thought an interesting aside yesterday was Tom Cunniffe and one of the Galway midfielders (over the far side so couldn't see) running full tilt and into each other, both bounced, that's a corner back against a midfielder. If it was one of the O'Sheas he'd have put him down to the prom, huge difference in physicality 

Didn't even enjoy yesterday and I've a Galway missus, we've been on the end of that ourselves and its no fun and there's no enjoyment outta beating a team like that (unless its the Rossies, Meath, cork, Kerry or Dublin). I'll look forward to the days of those two Conor Mortimer finals in castlebar again.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

I agree with you muppet about the number of teams that are operating with the level of high intensity.

Of course, there will be lots of naysayers and I suppose my earlier post could be described as one of them, but I hate the thought of getting too carried away. Galway were so incompetent all over the field yesterday, it looked like Ros in 09, and the proud tradition that Galway football has seemed to be washed into the sea. Mayo however, did what was asked of them. There is scope for improvement, and there (hopefully) will be a return from injury to certain key players, Barry Moran etc. All in all a great day for Mayo football, but the context of the opposition must be taken into account. Galway didn't 'man up' as was stated on the Sunday Game, they wilted as soon as Mayo got the first goal. And yes seafóid, I was thrilled with the 4 green flags Mayo raised yesterday. Andy Moran's one in particular.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Thought COC looked faster and more lively than usual yesterday. Got blocked down a couple of times, though. If he can start hitting more from play he'll be a complete player.

muppet

There is no doubting the chaos caused by a turnover high up the pitch. We seemed to heavily prioritise working for these turnovers and it certainly yielded results yesterday. It will be interesting to watch this against the Rossies.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 20, 2013, 07:18:05 PM

If you're being bullied by a Mayo team you may as well give up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.