Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

Congrats to Mayo - we all knew they were a better and more seasoned team but to get beat that much is very depressing.

I am sick and tired of people in our own county and pundits who watch us twice a year wondering 'what's wrong in Galway, are the structures not right' bla bla bla. Simple fact: they are not good enough. Again the footballers are not of the standard required to compete with the top tier. There is no mystery. Anyone that goes to Galway club games knows this and secondly they know under 21 and senior championship are worlds upon worlds apart and their expectations for another couple of years or so are very very low.

Couple of things on the game. Mayo's setup, professionalism in warm up, discipline compared to Galway's was on a different level also. Galway's body language and warm up was like a club intermediate team.

Same in terms of physicality. Apart from a couple of Galway lads the Mayo fellas are streets ahead physically and the conditioning of the 'smaller' lads was even a shock. In fairness the Mayo team have been longer on the road and it does take time.

The mistakes for the Mayo goals were abysmal. Lot of talk about the pressure Mayo put on and was impressive but for 2-2 in the first half I felt the initial mistakes were totally unforced and were to do with casualness, attitude and lack of intensity.  To me they were not even a direct result of hard pressure although admittedly other scores were and Mayo are really improving in this area.

Galway - do not know where we go from here this year. Mayo - a fine side whose supporters will have deservedly enjoyed yesterday but as a team learned nothing, didn't get tested and if they don't get it against Roscommon or in a final will be wide open on QF day.

belleaqua

Also just wanted to address a comment I heard last night when I watched back the live coverage of the game. Joe Brolly when asked about Meehan and Armstrong said something along the lines of 'all flash and no substance' and then proceeded to say 'football does not seem to be the number one priority'

It was the most infuriating and disrespectful comment to make based on pure ignorance. Michael Meehan should not be playing football. He has no cartilage in his ankle. He does not do any running for his fitness because he cant. He can only use a bike and aqua jog. According to the Times yesterday and talking to fellas around about me at the match he is on painkillers to play and will be this week to cope with the pain from the exertion yesterday. He initially got injured over 3 years ago and has spent that time coming back over and over just to play football for Galway. If that's not number 1 priority I don't know what is.

I know less about Armstrong but the man is injured alot too and some fella on the telly should not make a flippant comment like that and not be pulled up on it. We saw the relief and deserved celebration from Andy Moran yesterday and he has been out for 10 months and all the hard work paid off.  Meehan has been the vast bulk of the past 3 years doing the exact same and comments like that must be hard to take.

Disgraceful stuff.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2013, 04:14:19 PM
So, Mayo are after winning against Galway in their own backyard and not one word of well done to Mayo from anyone else other than the Galway bucks. Not a whole lot to add myself really, I was just surprised at how good Mayo were, apart from that 10 min spell early on in second half when they kinda knew they had it won by then. As Mayo4Sam said, there were a few balls that should have been placed better when on top, but I suppose we weren't even punished for those mistakes. Boyle my motm too ballinaman, was brilliant.

Well at least we know who we're playing next, Galway - (I felt for their fans yesterday), have a 6 week break and their spirit will be quashed after that. It's going to be a hard slog of a summer for them, if they get a summer at all that is.
jaysu your well on you way to grumpy old man status.
Its was as good a victory as mayo could have hoped for .
there are enough bad days
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: belleaqua on May 20, 2013, 04:43:34 PM
Also just wanted to address a comment I heard last night when I watched back the live coverage of the game. Joe Brolly when asked about Meehan and Armstrong said something along the lines of 'all flash and no substance' and then proceeded to say 'football does not seem to be the number one priority'

It was the most infuriating and disrespectful comment to make based on pure ignorance. Michael Meehan should not be playing football. He has no cartilage in his ankle. He does not do any running for his fitness because he cant. He can only use a bike and aqua jog. According to the Times yesterday and talking to fellas around about me at the match he is on painkillers to play and will be this week to cope with the pain from the exertion yesterday. He initially got injured over 3 years ago and has spent that time coming back over and over just to play football for Galway. If that's not number 1 priority I don't know what is.

I know less about Armstrong but the man is injured alot too and some fella on the telly should not make a flippant comment like that and not be pulled up on it. We saw the relief and deserved celebration from Andy Moran yesterday and he has been out for 10 months and all the hard work paid off.  Meehan has been the vast bulk of the past 3 years doing the exact same and comments like that must be hard to take.

Disgraceful stuff.

just futher proof that Joe Brolly is a bollix. Meehan is twice the footballer Brolly ever was
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ballinaman

belleaqua, GalwayBayBoy, seafoid et al.
Fair play. It's never easy being on the end of that, (god how we know that), shows a fair bit of courage and humility to even come on this thread.

screenexile

Disgraceful stuff.

Didn't think he had singled anyone in particular out but more judged them as a team having "all flash and no substance".

His actual comment was that "Galway are clearly not serious about their football." Now he got pulled for it which is right enough as on its own that's a ridiculous comment.

I think what he meant to say is that in terms of conditioning, discipline etc. they are not doing what is required at this level and to be honest I think that's a fair point.

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on May 20, 2013, 04:50:17 PM

Disgraceful stuff.

Didn't think he had singled anyone in particular out but more judged them as a team having "all flash and no substance".

His actual comment was that "Galway are clearly not serious about their football." Now he got pulled for it which is right enough as on its own that's a ridiculous comment.

I think what he meant to say is that in terms of conditioning, discipline etc. they are not doing what is required at this level and to be honest I think that's a fair point.
That's what I took from it too.

seafoid

Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2013, 04:47:25 PM
belleaqua, GalwayBayBoy, seafoid et al.
Fair play. It's never easy being on the end of that, (god how we know that), shows a fair bit of courage and humility to even come on this thread.
Nil uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal.

Mayo have to win an all Ireland with this team.

screenexile

Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2013, 04:52:41 PM

Disgraceful stuff.

I also liked the way Spillane put Mayo's success yesterday down to Donie Buckley!!

If Mayo win the All Ireland it will all be because of the Kerryman they brought in.

Syferus

Disgraceful stuff.

Fully agree about Meehan. He is some man to still have the passion to put in the hours he needs to just to play after all he's been through. Just about the only Galway player who kept trying and trying until the moment he was took off. He should be an inspiration to the Galway team.

Zulu

Impressive stuff from Mayo yesterday and great to see Andy Moran and Alan Dillon back and looking in fine fettle. I think they'll undoubtedly win Connacht now which means they'll be at the business end of the season and that puts them in with a shout of ultimate glory. From 1 to 9 Mayo match up well with any team but I still think they lack a bit of firepower to take out two or three of the other contenders which will be needed to win Sam. Still that's for another day and many fans would love to have their squad.

ross4life

Was at yesterday game as neutral i was hoping for decent close game one that would give me value for money but i got the opposite, at least the nightlife in Galway hasn't lost any of it's charm. Fair play to Mayo they played the way James Horan set them out to play & every player knew his role. The most impressive part of the Mayo performance was the workrate of the forwards.

The Galway display was up there with some of our woeful championship displays. It was so bad that even London would have beaten them yesterday. So it's back to McHale park for us & not a lot will be expected from us if we deliver competitive display i'll be happy enough.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2013, 10:29:58 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 15, 2013, 10:17:36 PM
Mayo 3-12 Galway 1-10. Can't see Galway troubling our defence while with Hanly out we should be good for a few goals. Would have preferred to have CO'C in FF line though his distribution and vision not in doubt - Freeman may benefit from the accuracy of his passes. Good to give Coen a start - let him get experience in Connacht for the bigger battles in CP later. Expect we will see Moran and Dillon in last 10 mins when the result is not in doubt.
Must be annoying to have to log out and log back in all the time Syferus

Can't be the same poster, I enjoy Mayo Micks ramblings. Who'd have thought he'd be so far out the other way?

Couldn't glean that much from the highlights last night but Galway's "defending" was atrocious. Great result with the bodies that were missing for Mayo, a stroll to August now.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rosnarun on May 20, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 20, 2013, 04:14:19 PM
So, Mayo are after winning against Galway in their own backyard and not one word of well done to Mayo from anyone else other than the Galway bucks. Not a whole lot to add myself really, I was just surprised at how good Mayo were, apart from that 10 min spell early on in second half when they kinda knew they had it won by then. As Mayo4Sam said, there were a few balls that should have been placed better when on top, but I suppose we weren't even punished for those mistakes. Boyle my motm too ballinaman, was brilliant.

Well at least we know who we're playing next, Galway - (I felt for their fans yesterday), have a 6 week break and their spirit will be quashed after that. It's going to be a hard slog of a summer for them, if they get a summer at all that is.
jaysu your well on you way to grumpy old man status.
Its was as good a victory as mayo could have hoped for .
there are enough bad days

True. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

belleaqua

Quote from: ballinaman on May 20, 2013, 04:52:41 PM

Disgraceful stuff.

The not taking football serious comment was half time and after the game. Watched it back there again now on sky player. The comments about Armstrong and Meehan were made before the game. The teams were in the parade and Lyster mentioned Armstrong and Meehan and that was his response.