Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 15, 2013, 06:39:38 PM
It certainly isn't a team that inspires me with confidence, I don't think Galway will lose much sleep either. Big plusses are the 2 O'Sheas are centrefield, plsying great for Breaffy. Our forwards need to step it up big time this weekend though. I can't predict an outcome.

You are unusually optimistic Farran!  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2013, 12:34:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2013, 12:10:12 PM
Would the Rossies feck off and leave Galway alone until after Sunday.

If we win, or especially if they win, you can talk of their terminal decline to your hearts content.
Syferus as in one poster! and don't get him started on Kerrys decline.

Sure we're all in decline apart from Roscommon according to Syferus.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 15, 2013, 07:39:21 PM

If we win, or especially if they win, you can talk of their terminal decline to your hearts content.

The quaility of your posts are anyways  :-X

seafoid

Syfeen will get progressively more deluded building up to a crescendo on the Saturday evening before the Connacht semi final
And then silence

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

Syfeen will get progressively more deluded building up to a crescendo on the Saturday evening before the Connacht semi final
And then silence

Only in your dreams. If last year's QF can't knock me back nothing will 8)

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on May 15, 2013, 02:56:42 PM
Score predictions for this game sunday..

we can look back on monday and say that somebody knows their stuff.

il go 1-11 to 1-13 in favor of mayo

Mayo 0-10
Galway 0-09

Spillane inconsolable on the telly.

From the Bunker

Mayo Mick

Mayo 3-12 Galway 1-10. Can't see Galway troubling our defence while with Hanly out we should be good for a few goals. Would have preferred to have CO'C in FF line though his distribution and vision not in doubt - Freeman may benefit from the accuracy of his passes. Good to give Coen a start - let him get experience in Connacht for the bigger battles in CP later. Expect we will see Moran and Dillon in last 10 mins when the result is not in doubt.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 15, 2013, 10:17:36 PM
Mayo 3-12 Galway 1-10. Can't see Galway troubling our defence while with Hanly out we should be good for a few goals. Would have preferred to have CO'C in FF line though his distribution and vision not in doubt - Freeman may benefit from the accuracy of his passes. Good to give Coen a start - let him get experience in Connacht for the bigger battles in CP later. Expect we will see Moran and Dillon in last 10 mins when the result is not in doubt.
Must be annoying to have to log out and log back in all the time Syferus

moysider

This selection shows just how safe the job is in Horan s hands. If injuries were not in the equation, we would be looking at the same team that started v Down in the 1/4 last year. That is the preferred 15 - or at least 14 from 15 and it would be difficult to find fault with that. It also is an unusual thing in Mayo where teams change very fast. But really our starting 15 v Down would still be our starting 15 IMO if injuries hadn t intervened. And it would be hard bet and would have been hard bet last year too!

It looks like Horan wants dependabilty in the team as far as possible, and was never going to play Keith at 6. He also must see Vaughan as an imortant leader and a player that will put himself on the edge . 1- 12 are a dependable tight group. They could win the game and unlikely to lose the game.

The full forward line is the joker in the pack. I don t think any would make anybody's 15 a few month s ago and probably would not be in Horan s 15 now either if others were fit. But they they may turn out to be match winners. They could also fluff a few chances like our inside men usually do and cost us the game. Funnily enough Mayo forwards often play best in their first year or first game even. Doc. and Freeman certainly did and then tied up a bit later when defenders homed in on them. If I were a betting man I d risk a tenner on Coen to score the first/any goal. Spillane salivating over a natural gaol- scorer? Ye have to hope.

I m not making any predictions. We had teams that should have won Connacht in 86,87, 90 and 91 but fucked them away. This team unlikely to be filleted next day but it is likely to be very close.

Galway should be hoping that Mayo kick ball into our ff line. Tight tidy markers there could take the wind out of sails. I expect Mayo to vary it with a lot of carrying from deep positions. If we dominate possession we could get done in a 'rope a dope' game like we did in the league at least once this year. Like a lot of teams we re better at counter-attacking. O Connor and McLough. frees will be crucial if we dominate possession and pressing most of the time.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mayo Mick on May 15, 2013, 10:17:36 PM

You are some joker! A pure Red (and Green) Herring!  ;D

Are you James Horan in disguise?

Lar Naparka

I'm happy with the side from 1-9 and, given the list of injuries, I think 10-12 is about as good as Horan can field.
Mayo, as far back as I can recall, have had difficulties in finding good inside forwards and next Sunday I don't expect a change for the better. I don't really know much about Coen. He must be flying in training to get the nod over a number of more experienced candidates but this is going to be a big step up for him. A lot could hang on his performance.
Varley is very skilful but lacks consistency and Freeman has never delivered on the promise he showed in 2010. Going into the Down game last year, I believed that Horan had settled on 14 out of 15 places; he had only one corner forward spot to fill.
Andy's injury mucked up his plans in a big way.
Right now, I think only Kevin Mac and COC up front could be guaranteed a start if JH had a full deck to play with.
Seamie would be under serious pressure if Barry Moran was back to form and I doubt very much if anyone from midfield back to Clarke lost any sleep over his chances of playing on Sunday.
I don't see the Mayo attack banging in 2 or 3 goals but I don't expect Galway to do so either. The Mayo defence is about as experienced and battle hardened as you will get and should deal with anything that Galway throws at them.
All the same, I'd feel a lot happier if Andy and Alan were fit and ready for action again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2013, 09:11:18 AM
I wonder how Galway will get on at midfield.

The key here for Galway is to try and stretch midfield on their own kickouts. They cannot let the O''Shea brothers attack the high ball from the center becauuse even if primary possession isn't won their natural strenght will force turnoovers. On Mayo ball the need to get O'Curraoin, Flynn and Bradshaw to challenge every ball in the air. Coleman , Sice and one of Doherty/Conroy will have to do the heavy lifting in terms of dirty ball and secondary breaking ball. Also they should try and match Conroy with Keegan and Flynn with Donie Vaughan as Donie is decidely weak under the high ball as was exposed badly by Paul Flynn in the league semi.