Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:42:10 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:23:47 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2013, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
This is a serious turnover of managers and what hope have you have developing a team or system such inconsistency? I think they are on the right track at the moment and regardless of results I think they should stick with Mulholland for at least 2 more years if possible after this season.

Without a doubt. Even if Galway are well beaten on Sunday there is no point in changing again. Mulholland should be left at it for a few years.

Much of Mayo's current squad come from their 2006 AI winning U-21's. Much of Galway's squad comes from the 2011 AI winning U-21's. Mayo have a 5 year head start as regards to experience and physical development and maturity. Mulholland can't be expected to bridge that gap overnight. It will take some time and then next year a few more of the 2013 U-21's can be introduced.

Too true and we had a four in a row run of winning U21 Connacht with the majority of the squad now made up from those teams. I think Mulholland's target for this year was to blood as many of the U21's as he could during the league and give Mayo a good rattle in Pearse Park. Injuries to the our forwards have probably made him more confident of beating us (and it will be close no matter what is being said here) but I would be shocked if he hasn't given thought to Galway's dismal qualifier record since 2001. I'd say the biggest disappointment for Galway would be another quiet qualifer exit if(and it's still an considerable if) they lose to Mayo on Sunday.

Next year will probably be the year for Galway to make their move out of a very competitive division 2 and make a serious run in Connacht and a win in Croke park.I have seen enough this year of Galway to be confident that a move back to division 1 is a strong possibility and I do like the way Mulholland is developing a modern take on their traditional game rather than aping an Tryone/Donegal style along with tweaking a system to suit the natural talent of the players available to him. I think they should look to keep him with a view to a smooth transition (if it arises) like has happened at the U21 grade which he left in fine fettle.
I would like to see Mayo winning an all Ireland before Galway get going again.

So would I Seafoid but I'll only believe it when I see Sam coming through Ballaghadreen around Sept time. I'll never give up hoping but if I had to put money on one or the other at this money in time my money would be on a Galway resurgence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/16/roy-hodgson-west-bromwich-albion
"There are certain words that have to be avoided at all costs. Cynicism is one, fatalism is another. American sports are really good at assessing that side of things and making good decisions as a result."

Point taken Seafoid but surely you can't begrude us the odd bit of fatilism down here in Mayo with what we have been through ;D

nothingbettertobeat

Score predictions for this game sunday..

we can look back on monday and say that somebody knows their stuff.

il go 1-11 to 1-13 in favor of mayo
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Crete Boom

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on May 15, 2013, 02:56:42 PM
Score predictions for this game sunday..

we can look back on monday and say that somebody knows their stuff.

il go 1-11 to 1-13 in favor of mayo

Mayo    1-9
Galway 1-7

Galway to lead at half time but Mayo to edge them out in the second half. Mayo to kick a heap of wides and turnover a shed load of ball with Galway struggling in the middle third. Brolly to spout shite about the supposed terminal decline of Galway accompanied by much hand wringing by the lads in studio  , followed by Spillane assigning junk status to Mayo and (guilty by association) Connacht football while both proclaiming that everyone will want to draw the champions of the hillbillies from the west in the quarter final. 8)

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:49:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:42:10 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:23:47 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2013, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
This is a serious turnover of managers and what hope have you have developing a team or system such inconsistency? I think they are on the right track at the moment and regardless of results I think they should stick with Mulholland for at least 2 more years if possible after this season.

Without a doubt. Even if Galway are well beaten on Sunday there is no point in changing again. Mulholland should be left at it for a few years.

Much of Mayo's current squad come from their 2006 AI winning U-21's. Much of Galway's squad comes from the 2011 AI winning U-21's. Mayo have a 5 year head start as regards to experience and physical development and maturity. Mulholland can't be expected to bridge that gap overnight. It will take some time and then next year a few more of the 2013 U-21's can be introduced.

Too true and we had a four in a row run of winning U21 Connacht with the majority of the squad now made up from those teams. I think Mulholland's target for this year was to blood as many of the U21's as he could during the league and give Mayo a good rattle in Pearse Park. Injuries to the our forwards have probably made him more confident of beating us (and it will be close no matter what is being said here) but I would be shocked if he hasn't given thought to Galway's dismal qualifier record since 2001. I'd say the biggest disappointment for Galway would be another quiet qualifer exit if(and it's still an considerable if) they lose to Mayo on Sunday.

Next year will probably be the year for Galway to make their move out of a very competitive division 2 and make a serious run in Connacht and a win in Croke park.I have seen enough this year of Galway to be confident that a move back to division 1 is a strong possibility and I do like the way Mulholland is developing a modern take on their traditional game rather than aping an Tryone/Donegal style along with tweaking a system to suit the natural talent of the players available to him. I think they should look to keep him with a view to a smooth transition (if it arises) like has happened at the U21 grade which he left in fine fettle.
I would like to see Mayo winning an all Ireland before Galway get going again.

So would I Seafoid but I'll only believe it when I see Sam coming through Ballaghadreen around Sept time. I'll never give up hoping but if I had to put money on one or the other at this money in time my money would be on a Galway resurgence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/16/roy-hodgson-west-bromwich-albion
"There are certain words that have to be avoided at all costs. Cynicism is one, fatalism is another. American sports are really good at assessing that side of things and making good decisions as a result."

Point taken Seafoid but surely you can't begrude us the odd bit of fatilism down here in Mayo with what we have been through ;D
Please god ye will get to final where Kildare are the opposition...

rosnarun

ALAN AND ANDY ON THE BENCH
Coen and freeman start!!!!
David Clarke;
Kevin Keane, Ger Cafferky, Keith Higgins;
Lee Keegan, Donal Vaughan, Colm Boyle;
Aidan O'Shea, Seamus O'Shea;
Kevin McLoughlin, Cillian O'Connor, Cathal Carolan;
Enda Varley, Alan Freeman, Darren Coen.

Subs: Kenneth O'Malley, Tom Cunniffe, Alan Dillon, Shane McHale,
Michael Walsh, James Burke, Jason Gibbons, Richie Feeney, Alan Murphy,
Andy Moran, Conor O'Shea.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ohtoohtobe

It's hard, looking at the starting teams, not to think that Galway have a serious, serious chance. I've never seen Coen play but lads making a championship start before a league one don't tend to do well. Easy to see it going wrong for Mayo and I think of all the absentees Barry Moran is the most serious loss.

muppet

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 15, 2013, 04:23:51 PM
It's hard, looking at the starting teams, not to think that Galway have a serious, serious chance. I've never seen Coen play but lads making a championship start before a league one don't tend to do well. Easy to see it going wrong for Mayo and I think of all the absentees Barry Moran is the most serious loss.

He is a serious midfielder and we would need him in August, but SOS is well able to fill in. Our losses in the FF are more serious. Andy on the bench is a good sign, assuming we have a bit of a run. I would prefer to see Cillian in closer to goal, particularly with the injuries but I'd have him in there anyway. Freeman has a big chance and really needs to take it. He may switch with Cillian, but I reckon he (Freeman) will goal on Sunday. Varley is similar to Freeman in that he has had chances, although he has been a bit more consistent. We need 4-5 points from him and lots of involvement. Best of luck to Coen on his big chance.

I think we will win after 55 mins of huffing and puffing. No PJ this time makes a big difference to Galway.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

at least there is some hope for Coen
delighted for Cathal Carolan. he was given his chance and grabbed it . he was not even that lauded at club level and horan deseves credit for taking a punt on him,

rosnarun

Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2013, 04:30:46 PM

He is a serious midfielder and we would need him in August, but SOS is well able to fill in. Our losses in the FF are more serious. Andy on the bench is a good sign, assuming we have a bit of a run. I would prefer to see Cillian in closer to goal, particularly with the injuries but I'd have him in there anyway. Freeman has a big chance and really needs to take it. He may switch with Cillian, but I reckon he (Freeman) will goal on Sunday. Varley is similar to Freeman in that he has had chances, although he has been a bit more consistent. We need 4-5 points from him and lots of involvement. Best of luck to Coen on his big chance.

I think we will win after 55 mins of huffing and puffing. No PJ this time makes a big difference to Galway.
i dont think varley has ever let mayo down and i would have him on the is 15 any day
Having said that im not sure how mayos long ball to FF line is going to work with that selection . one player is probably going to have to play further back . probably freeman

Crete Boom

Yeah Big Barry has been the main man along side Aidan O' Shea and Kevin Mac in the middle third when we have been going at full pelt. I always thought Galway had a good chance in this game( Galway Mayo games are rarely blowouts for either county anyway) and it would be up to our midfield and backs to stifle Galway rather than us winning in a shoot out. Our injuries in the forwards have seriously hampered us though and we will be relying on the accuracy of Cillian's frees to get us over the line in this one.The major worry is if Galway gain any sort of parity in the middle they could easily out score us as I can't see us getting more than 9 or 10 scores so we can't really afford to concede more than 11 points on the scoreboard to Galway if we are going to win!

Syferus

Ah, sure of course Mayo would opt for the Aghamore man when the chips are down. ;) Freeman has a big opportunity in front of him with Finian Hanley on the blocks.

seafoid

It is a pity for Galway to be in between Donnellan generations on top of being Joyceless.

AMayoFan

QuoteFreeman has a big opportunity in front of him with Finian Hanley on the blocks.

Absolutely, it's time for Freeman to start showing his full potential.  I really hope he does, as I think his a fantastic footballer, but with Conroy and A.Moran to fully come back into the panel,  I feel this match will have a huge bearing on his involvement for the rest of the the Championship.

Tubberman

Quote from: AMayoFan on May 15, 2013, 05:34:56 PM
QuoteFreeman has a big opportunity in front of him with Finian Hanley on the blocks.

Absolutely, it's time for Freeman to start showing his full potential.  I really hope he does, as I think his a fantastic footballer, but with Conroy and A.Moran to fully come back into the panel,  I feel this match will have a huge bearing on his involvement for the rest of the the Championship.

Dublin league match in Croker in 2011 was the last match I remember thinking he was having a great game. Hope he can turn it around for himself, he's got more chances than most.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

It certainly isn't a team that inspires me with confidence, I don't think Galway will lose much sleep either. Big plusses are the 2 O'Sheas are centrefield, plsying great for Breaffy. Our forwards need to step it up big time this weekend though. I can't predict an outcome.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.