Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Doherty is still living off the goals he scored in last year's league, or was it 2011??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Galway team has been named...
1 Manus Breathnach
2 Johnny Duane
3 Colin Forde
4 Gary Sweeney
5 Gareth Bradshaw (Captain)
6 Keith Kelly
7 Gary Sice
8 Niall Coleman
9 Fiontan O'Curraoin
10 Thomas Flynn
11 Paul Conroy
12 Conor Doherty
13 Sean Armstrong
14 Michael Meehan
15 Danny Cummins

It's pretty much along expected lines. I can only assume that Hanley's recent injury is the reason he has not been picked to start.
Reading through the team again here & I just really can't make a case for a Galway win.

shaund10

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2013, 05:40:44 PM
You'd swear Galway were a team of Goochs who just happened to take too many sleeping tablets. Counties fortunes can shift on a dime - look at Mayo's 2011 championship - but I have to imagine even a lot of Galway supporters groan at this notion that they have so much potential that a return to the top table is little less than a done deal. One step at a time, Martin.

Christ, all he said was that Galway will soon awaken from their slumber. Probably something to do with the 2 u-21 titles in 3 years. Nowhere did he say that they were set for an immediate return to the 'top table'.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2013, 05:39:16 PM
It's funny how marked the difference is between winning and losing an AIF.
If Mayo had won they would be unbackable on Sunday. The players would be immortal.
Now they are kind of flaky.

Actually, Mayo winning or losing last years AI has nothing to do with the odds on Sunday. Most bookies are looking at Galway more than Mayo in this fixture. The confusion is that Galway seriously under performed in the Championship last year and the year before. Their form has been flaky. Under age success and tradition has confused the issue for the bookies. Really they don't know what sort of a team will turn up on Sunday. Sure we all don't!

Syferus

Quote from: shaund10 on May 14, 2013, 11:33:48 PM
You'd swear Galway were a team of Goochs who just happened to take too many sleeping tablets. Counties fortunes can shift on a dime - look at Mayo's 2011 championship - but I have to imagine even a lot of Galway supporters groan at this notion that they have so much potential that a return to the top table is little less than a done deal. One step at a time, Martin.

Christ, all he said was that Galway will soon awaken from their slumber. Probably something to do with the 2 u-21 titles in 3 years. Nowhere did he say that they were set for an immediate return to the 'top table'.

Of all teams in the country that should be wary about their prospects after two U21 AIs it's Galway. Carney is just feeding into the cliched perception that a team that was once good will always naturally return, as it it's somehow anointed by God. Galway have been in this 'slumber' for more than a decade and for at least the last five years their record is atrocious. That isn't under-performance, it's near-terminal decline. If they weren't wearing maroon jerseys the media would be rubbishing them at every chance they got, be it right or wrong.

Perception is king in the GAA media.

shaund10

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2013, 11:46:16 PM

Of all teams in the country that should be wary about their prospects after two U21 AIs it's Galway. Carney is just feeding into the cliched perception that a team that was once good will always naturally return, as it it's somehow anointed by God. Galway have been in this 'slumber' for more than a decade and for at least the last five years their record is atrocious. That isn't under-performance, it's near-terminal decline. If they weren't wearing maroon jerseys the media would be rubbishing them at every chance they got, be it right or wrong.

Galway haven't been in a slumber for over a decade. You seem to be letting perception get the better of you there yourself. All Ireland winning teams are rare for everyone bar Kerry, so competing and winning provincial championships should be fine for everyone else while they wait for that rare talent of an All Ireland team to come along. Galway won 4 connacht championships from 2002-2008. So in truth, they'be been in slumber for 4 years so far (09-12) . That's hardly horrific, and they were playing division 1 football for a portion of that. Every county goes through down times. But give me a county of the size and tradition Galway has that has fallen away completely? It has never happened, so it's natural to assume that Galway will be good again one day. And while u-21 success is no guarantee of senior success, it hardly hurts to have the best crop of youngster in the country does it?

ross4life

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2013, 09:27:46 PM
Galway team has been named...
1 Manus Breathnach
2 Johnny Duane
3 Colin Forde
4 Gary Sweeney

5 Gareth Bradshaw (Captain)
6 Keith Kelly
7 Gary Sice
8 Niall Coleman
9 Fiontan O'Curraoin
10 Thomas Flynn

11 Paul Conroy
12 Conor Doherty
13 Sean Armstrong
14 Michael Meehan
15 Danny Cummins

Interesting 8 of 2011 AI U-21 team starting this game.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

Quote from: shaund10 on May 15, 2013, 12:00:46 AM

Galway haven't been in a slumber for over a decade. You seem to be letting perception get the better of you there yourself. All Ireland winning teams are rare for everyone bar Kerry, so competing and winning provincial championships should be fine for everyone else while they wait for that rare talent of an All Ireland team to come along. Galway won 4 connacht championships from 2002-2008. So in truth, they'be been in slumber for 4 years so far (09-12) . That's hardly horrific, and they were playing division 1 football for a portion of that. Every county goes through down times. But give me a county of the size and tradition Galway has that has fallen away completely? It has never happened, so it's natural to assume that Galway will be good again one day. And while u-21 success is no guarantee of senior success, it hardly hurts to have the best crop of youngster in the country does it?

If Galway have not been out of it since 2001. Tell me the last big team they have beat in the Championship. Tell me the last team they have beat outside of Connacht in the Championship. How many games have they won in Croke Park? How many appearances in have they made in Croke Park. They still talk about the game v Kerry that Galway lost by 5 points as if some sort of achievement.  You mentioned the League, how many times did Galway reach the knock-out stages? Forget provincial titles, do Kerry or Cork measure being at the top based on success within the province. It just a means to an end for them. I'm just calling it as it is, Jez Mayo only won 2 Connacht titles from 1955 to 1981. Imagine that record in a 5 county province!

GalwayBayBoy

Of all teams in the country that should be wary about their prospects after two U21 AIs it's Galway. Carney is just feeding into the cliched perception that a team that was once good will always naturally return, as it it's somehow anointed by God. Galway have been in this 'slumber' for more than a decade and for at least the last five years their record is atrocious. That isn't under-performance, it's near-terminal decline.

Hardly. Not that long ago Galway once went 8 years without even a Connacht title. They only even reached one provincial final in all that time. 3 years after that they won the All-Ireland. Even during the last 10 years when we've been in a dismal slump, Galway have won 3 Connacht titles and been in another 3 finals (losing all 3 by a single point). So things have been much worse at times before.

These things can turn around quickly if the right conditions exist. I don't doubt for a second that we will be back as a serious contender again. When? I don't exactly know. It requires the right amount of talent coming through at roughly the same time, patience to allow that talent to mature and the right managment. A few talented veterans also helps. Something we don't have as much of now as we did back in the mid-90's.

shaund10

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 15, 2013, 12:17:57 AM

If Galway have not been out of it since 2001. Tell me the last big team they have beat in the Championship. Tell me the last team they have beat outside of Connacht in the Championship. How many games have they won in Croke Park? How many appearances in have they made in Croke Park. They still talk about the game v Kerry that Galway lost by 5 points as if some sort of achievement.  You mentioned the League, how many times did Galway reach the knock-out stages? Forget provincial titles, do Kerry or Cork measure being at the top based on success within the province. It just a means to an end for them. I'm just calling it as it is, Jez Mayo only won 2 Connacht titles from 1955 to 1981. Imagine that record in a 5 county province!

Galway's record outside of Connacht has been terrible since 2001. However, I wouldn't swap 4 connacht championships for a few wins outside of Connacht, even if they were AI QF's or something. Would you prefer a semi final exit this year or a Connacht title and no further? Silverware is silverware.

We underperformed in 01-08, but we weren't totally in the doldrums. The media simply expects a county like Galway, to be challenging every year, which has never been the case in the county. Our great teams come in cycles, and always have done. It must also be stressed that it has only been the seniors underperforming. Club and underage have been very good throughout that time.

And who is talking about the loss to Kerry? It was an excellent game and a good performance from an injury ravaged side, but every Galway fan knows we were never on Kerry's level at that time and they were always likely to win.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2013, 12:30:53 AM

Of all teams in the country that should be wary about their prospects after two U21 AIs it's Galway. Carney is just feeding into the cliched perception that a team that was once good will always naturally return, as it it's somehow anointed by God. Galway have been in this 'slumber' for more than a decade and for at least the last five years their record is atrocious. That isn't under-performance, it's near-terminal decline.

Hardly. Not that long ago Galway once went 8 years without even a Connacht title. They only even reached one provincial final in all that time. 3 years after that they won the All-Ireland. Even during the last 10 years when we've been in a dismal slump, Galway have won 3 Connacht titles and been in another 3 finals (losing all 3 by a single point). So things have been much worse at times before.

These things can turn around quickly if the right conditions exist. I don't doubt for a second that we will be back as a serious contender again. When? I don't exactly know. It requires the right amount of talent coming through at roughly the same time, patience to allow that talent to mature and the right managment. A few talented veterans also helps. Something we don't have as much of now as we did back in the mid-90's.

Galway's sum total of victories on Irish soil since June 28th 2008?

Us. Last year. That's it. Nothing else, no one else.

You haven't won a single qualifier in nine years, losing to everyone from Wexford to Donegal to Westmeath to Antrim.

Like I said before fortunes can change in an instant in football but for people to try and categorise that sort of record as a 'slumber' is like saying Ariel Sharon is just having a bit of a kip.

Galway became a below average team. Welcome to the club.

galwayman

We also beat Sligo in 2009 in Connacht semi final.
We've been poor in recent seasons but I don't agree that it's a terminal decline like you say.
I do think we will bounce back but I also think it will take time

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on May 15, 2013, 06:50:18 AM
We've been poor in recent seasons but I don't agree that it's a terminal decline like you say.
Galway were verra poor in the early 90s as well.
But it didn't matter.
Ros win Connacht on average once a decade.  Galway will never be that mediocre over the long term. Mayo couldn't win 7 or 8 times every 10 years anyway. They'd get mass vertigo.

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 08:47:29 AM
Quote from: galwayman on May 15, 2013, 06:50:18 AM
Galway were verra poor in the early 90s as well.
But it didn't matter.
Ros win Connacht on average once a decade.  Galway will never be that mediocre over the long term. Mayo couldn't win 7 or 8 times every 10 years anyway. They'd get mass vertigo.
True
we like to throw on e to the savages once every few years to keep them interested
We did our best for Sligo a few years but even then they managed to muck it up and let the sheepshaggers in
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Would the Rossies feck off and leave Galway alone until after Sunday.

If we win, or especially if they win, you can talk of their terminal decline to your hearts content.
MWWSI 2017