Galway v Mayo Sunday May 19th 2013 - Pearse Stadium

Started by From the Bunker, April 14, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2013, 12:10:12 PM
Would the Rossies feck off and leave Galway alone until after Sunday.

If we win, or especially if they win, you can talk of their terminal decline to your hearts content.
Syferus as in one poster! and don't get him started on Kerrys decline.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Crete Boom

Looking from the outside in I think Galway's main problem over the last decade was the decisions made at the top table in terms of  the senior team management. While their tradition means there is a certain level of expectation from the fans I don't think this excuses the rash hiring and firing of managers.Since they last one in 2001 Galway have one an All Ireland minor in 2007 and U21 All Ireland's in 2002 , 2005 ,2011 and 2013! Now even allowing for a poor return on player development these success's should be enough to shape a solid senior division 1 team that would be competing at qf level in the kinship most years.

On the flip side since 2001 the team has been managed by John O' Mahoney , Peter Forde , Liam Sammon, Joe Kernan , Tomas O Flaherta and now Alan Mulholland. This is a serious turnover of managers and what hope have you have developing a team or system such inconsistency? I think they are on the right track at the moment and regardless of results I think they should stick with Mulholland for at least 2 more years if possible after this season. If they do this they should have most of the emerging talent bedded into to the team and who knows they could be belting through the championship with that swagger that adorned all the great Galway teams.

Also I am sure there are some GAA print journalist who read and post on this site so could you please stop saying in every article that the last time Mayo achieved a 3 in a row in Connacht was 1949/51 when in fact we won the three in a row in 1950 subsequently achieving a four in a row in 1951 having won in Connacht titles in 1948/49/50/51!!!!!!!

Lar Naparka

If we win, or especially if they win, you can talk of their terminal decline to your hearts content.
If they do, it would be a case of pot calling kettle black.
There have been lots of similarities between the two counties, at senior level, for a long time now. Both have has assloads of promising minor and u21 lads who haven't made the transition to senior or are finding it hard to adjust to the realities there.
Both counties appear to have ongoing rows between members of their county boards and, from what I hear, there is a lot of dissension at club level as well.
In Roscommon's case, I think we have to go back a long time to find the cause of their decline. I'd trace it back to the time there was controversy over County Board funds. They appeared to have had the makings of a half decent side a couple of times in the interim but never quite managed to get the best out of them.
Galway seem to be having more than the average amount of internal rows in recent years and both counties have a habit of changing managers at a very fast rate.
I think Roscommon will make it to the Connacht final but I can't see them going any further in the championships unless they manage to get their act together. It will surprise me very much if will be the opposition but there again Mayo can never feel complacent when Galway provides the opposition.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
This is a serious turnover of managers and what hope have you have developing a team or system such inconsistency? I think they are on the right track at the moment and regardless of results I think they should stick with Mulholland for at least 2 more years if possible after this season.

Without a doubt. Even if Galway are well beaten on Sunday there is no point in changing again. Mulholland should be left at it for a few years.

Much of Mayo's current squad come from their 2006 AI winning U-21's. Much of Galway's squad comes from the 2011 AI winning U-21's. Mayo have a 5 year head start as regards to experience and physical development and maturity. Mulholland can't be expected to bridge that gap overnight. It will take some time and then next year a few more of the 2013 U-21's can be introduced.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2013, 09:27:46 PM
Galway team has been named...
1 Manus Breathnach
2 Johnny Duane
3 Colin Forde
4 Gary Sweeney
5 Gareth Bradshaw (Captain)
6 Keith Kelly
7 Gary Sice
8 Niall Coleman
9 Fiontan O'Curraoin
10 Thomas Flynn
11 Paul Conroy
12 Conor Doherty
13 Sean Armstrong
14 Michael Meehan
15 Danny Cummins

It's pretty much along expected lines. I can only assume that Hanley's recent injury is the reason he has not been picked to start.
Reading through the team again here & I just really can't make a case for a Galway win.
Only around half of the team that beat the Rossies out the gate last year are playing on Sunday.
What is the story with Mark Hehir? 

GALWAY : A Faherty; K McGrath (0-1); F Hanley; K Kelly; G Bradshaw (0-2); J Duane; G O'Donnell; J Bergin (0-2); G Higgins; G Sice (1-3, 0-2 frees); D Burke; T Flynn; S Armstrong (0-1); P Conroy (1-4); M Hehir (1-0). Subs: M Meehan (0-2, 0-1 free) for S Armstrong (45 mins); Pádraic Joyce for D Burke (51 mins); T Fahy for G O'Donnell (54 mins); D Cummins for M Hehir (65 mins). Yellow cards: Burke (28 mins); Hehir (36 mins); Bradshaw (55 mins).

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2013, 12:34:40 PM

Syferus as in one poster! and don't get him started on Kerrys decline.
Syfín is looking for a bandwagon to jump on again.
He's still suckin up to the Rhus.
Meanwhile on stolensheep he's castigating any poster who says anything that isn't 110% praise of St Brigids.
He'll get more sense when he moves up to Second year ;) and maybe some day he'll just stick to supporting his own and ignore all the other hoors.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 15, 2013, 01:20:25 PM
If they do, it would be a case of pot calling kettle black.
There have been lots of similarities between the two counties, at senior level, for a long time now. Both have has assloads of promising minor and u21 lads who haven't made the transition to senior or are finding it hard to adjust to the realities there.
Both counties appear to have ongoing rows between members of their county boards and, from what I hear, there is a lot of dissension at club level as well.
In Roscommon's case, I think we have to go back a long time to find the cause of their decline. I'd trace it back to the time there was controversy over County Board funds. They appeared to have had the makings of a half decent side a couple of times in the interim but never quite managed to get the best out of them.
Galway seem to be having more than the average amount of internal rows in recent years and both counties have a habit of changing managers at a very fast rate.
I think Roscommon will make it to the Connacht final but I can't see them going any further in the championships unless they manage to get their act together. It will surprise me very much if will be the opposition but there again Mayo can never feel complacent when Galway provides the opposition.

They as in him. You really think we will beat the winners of this game something we haven't done since 2001?

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 01:33:52 PM

Only around half of the team that beat the Rossies out the gate last year are playing on Sunday.

GALWAY : A Faherty; K McGrath (0-1); F Hanley; K Kelly; G Bradshaw (0-2); J Duane; G O'Donnell; J Bergin (0-2); G Higgins; G Sice (1-3, 0-2 frees); D Burke; T Flynn; S Armstrong (0-1); P Conroy (1-4); M Hehir (1-0). Subs: M Meehan (0-2, 0-1 free) for S Armstrong (45 mins); Pádraic Joyce for D Burke (51 mins); T Fahy for G O'Donnell (54 mins); D Cummins for M Hehir (65 mins). Yellow cards: Burke (28 mins); Hehir (36 mins); Bradshaw (55 mins).

You sound surprised? so many changes because you didn't follow up on your win against us & were beaten by Sligo,Antrim.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 01:33:52 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 14, 2013, 09:27:46 PM
Galway team has been named...
1 Manus Breathnach
2 Johnny Duane
3 Colin Forde
4 Gary Sweeney
5 Gareth Bradshaw (Captain)
6 Keith Kelly
7 Gary Sice
8 Niall Coleman
9 Fiontan O'Curraoin
10 Thomas Flynn
11 Paul Conroy
12 Conor Doherty
13 Sean Armstrong
14 Michael Meehan
15 Danny Cummins

It's pretty much along expected lines. I can only assume that Hanley's recent injury is the reason he has not been picked to start.
Reading through the team again here & I just really can't make a case for a Galway win.

From that team, Faherty abroad, McGrath, Hanley injured, O'Donnell dropped but on panel, Bergin retired, Higgins on panel, D Burke retired, Hehir on panel (not good enough), Joyce retired, Fahy off panel.

Crete Boom

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2013, 01:31:37 PM
This is a serious turnover of managers and what hope have you have developing a team or system such inconsistency? I think they are on the right track at the moment and regardless of results I think they should stick with Mulholland for at least 2 more years if possible after this season.

Without a doubt. Even if Galway are well beaten on Sunday there is no point in changing again. Mulholland should be left at it for a few years.

Much of Mayo's current squad come from their 2006 AI winning U-21's. Much of Galway's squad comes from the 2011 AI winning U-21's. Mayo have a 5 year head start as regards to experience and physical development and maturity. Mulholland can't be expected to bridge that gap overnight. It will take some time and then next year a few more of the 2013 U-21's can be introduced.

Too true and we had a four in a row run of winning U21 Connacht with the majority of the squad now made up from those teams. I think Mulholland's target for this year was to blood as many of the U21's as he could during the league and give Mayo a good rattle in Pearse Park. Injuries to the our forwards have probably made him more confident of beating us (and it will be close no matter what is being said here) but I would be shocked if he hasn't given thought to Galway's dismal qualifier record since 2001. I'd say the biggest disappointment for Galway would be another quiet qualifer exit if(and it's still an considerable if) they lose to Mayo on Sunday.

Next year will probably be the year for Galway to make their move out of a very competitive division 2 and make a serious run in Connacht and a win in Croke park.I have seen enough this year of Galway to be confident that a move back to division 1 is a strong possibility and I do like the way Mulholland is developing a modern take on their traditional game rather than aping an Tryone/Donegal style along with tweaking a system to suit the natural talent of the players available to him. I think they should look to keep him with a view to a smooth transition (if it arises) like has happened at the U21 grade which he left in fine fettle.

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:12:29 PM

Too true and we had a four in a row run of winning U21 Connacht with the majority of the squad now made up from those teams. I think Mulholland's target for this year was to blood as many of the U21's as he could during the league and give Mayo a good rattle in Pearse Park. Injuries to the our forwards have probably made him more confident of beating us (and it will be close no matter what is being said here) but I would be shocked if he hasn't given thought to Galway's dismal qualifier record since 2001. I'd say the biggest disappointment for Galway would be another quiet qualifer exit if(and it's still an considerable if) they lose to Mayo on Sunday.

Next year will probably be the year for Galway to make their move out of a very competitive division 2 and make a serious run in Connacht and a win in Croke park.I have seen enough this year of Galway to be confident that a move back to division 1 is a strong possibility and I do like the way Mulholland is developing a modern take on their traditional game rather than aping an Tryone/Donegal style along with tweaking a system to suit the natural talent of the players available to him. I think they should look to keep him with a view to a smooth transition (if it arises) like has happened at the U21 grade which he left in fine fettle.
I would like to see Mayo winning an all Ireland before Galway get going again.

muppet

Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 4s
Team: Clarke, Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, A.O'Shea, S.O'Shea, McLoughlin, O'Connor, Carolan, Varley, Freeman, Coen.
MWWSI 2017

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:23:47 PM

So would I Seafoid but I'll only believe it when I see Sam coming through Ballaghadreen around Sept time. I'll never give up hoping but if I had to put money on one or the other at this monent in time my money would be on a Galway resurgence.

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2013, 02:29:24 PM
Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 4s
Team: Clarke, Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, A.O'Shea, S.O'Shea, McLoughlin, O'Connor, Carolan, Varley, Freeman, Coen.

Coen the surprise inclusion. Thought he looked very good at U21 and was surprised we didn't see more of him in league. Hopefully he provides something new in FF line. Bit disappointed to see Cillian out at CF again, don't think we get best use of him there, although his distribution against Dublin in semi was very good.

And great to see Alan and Andy named in the subs:
16. Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
17. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
18. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
19. Shane McHale - Knockmore
20. Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
21. James Burke - Ballymun Kickhams
22. Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
23. Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
24. Alan Murphy - Ballinrobe
25. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
26. Conor O'Shea - Breaffy
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Crete Boom

Quote from: muppet on May 15, 2013, 02:29:24 PM
Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 4s

Good solid team and I wouldn't be too worried about 1 to 12 but our inside line does look a little blunt. Good to see Coen getting a chance and hopefully he'll take it. Obviuosly I would have liked to see Regan or Doherty in there but with both struggling to shake off injuries there is no point in throwing them in if they aren't 100%. We'll have to keep it tough and tight as I can't see us scoring more than 11 0r 12 points with that forward line asumming Galway don't have an off day. Thay key for me is the silly turnovers, we need to be patient and pick out the openings as we have enough workers all through the team to win and keep possesion. I think Galway will be right in it for most of this game and I hope we can dig out a hard fought 2 or 3 point win. A Goal to either side could have a big bearing on this game.

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2013, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2013, 02:23:47 PM

So would I Seafoid but I'll only believe it when I see Sam coming through Ballaghadreen around Sept time. I'll never give up hoping but if I had to put money on one or the other at this money in time my money would be on a Galway resurgence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/16/roy-hodgson-west-bromwich-albion
"There are certain words that have to be avoided at all costs. Cynicism is one, fatalism is another. American sports are really good at assessing that side of things and making good decisions as a result."