Tyrone v Kildare 14/04/13 Croke Park

Started by omagh_gael, April 08, 2013, 11:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on April 12, 2013, 03:26:13 PM
Henry McGrillan? Never ceases to amaze me how sloppy GAA journos can be at times.

McGrillen and Peter Kelly are hardly beginning to 'nose towards the veteran stage' either!

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 12, 2013, 09:13:12 AM
Would think Kelly better at CHB for Kildare with Hurley or lynch at mf instead of Oneill

Lynch hasn't reached anywhere near the same level of form since he returned from his injury. I would be surprised if Hurley doesn't start come the championship. Midfield has been a problem area since injuries to Earley and Flynn but with the height of Cribbin and Dan Flynn on the wings Kildare should have better options to vary the kickouts this year.

I don't know how many of the Tyronies on here were at the match in Newbridge but I thought Peter Harte was Tyrone's most effective player that day on the forty.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Was at that match DH, and yes, agree, young Peter did well.

Stop whinging Tyrone lads about the Defence reorganisation FFS! That has been the biggest gripe this year so far, so MH does something concrete about it and swings the axe! Get over it, there are options on the bench should the Lilywhites run riot.

This is the type of game to find out exactly who's ready for the white hot heat of Mac Cumhail Park next month, and there's only the one way to find out.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Redhand Santa

Can't understand how some Tyrone posters are so negative about the league campaign. A lot of people were predicting relegation at the start of the year. Instead they've won 5 matches and finished 2nd in division whilst using 28 players along the way. Can only imagine the thoughts of the same posters if they'd been relegated.

I know people will point to last weeks match as showing weaknesses. But at the end of the day Tyrone lost a game which effectively meant nothing to them by a point against a good Kerry team. The first half was awful but I'm sure the team will learn from it. People have complained that Harte was slow to make changes but maybe he was happy to let it run and see how the team coped and expose weaknesses ahead of the championship.

It's a decent team starting on Sunday. Still question marks over the defence but a lot of the players who didn't perform well last Sunday have been dropped which is maybe a good sign to be sending out to them. The people who were complaining about last weeks defence are now complaining about the changes!!

Going to be tough for PJ and Carlin but they need a run out like this ahead of the championship. Any word on McNabb? I wouldn't be overly surprised if that was the midfield and forward line come championship. McCurry still has a lot to improve but I would have high hopes for him. Concerned about our lack of midfield options. Pity McGinley hadn't hung around for a few more years - would have been a good option from the bench if nothing else.

Nice to be heading back to Croke Park for a league semi final. We haven't been to one in a good few years and would be great to get back to the final and get another big test ahead of the championship.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 13, 2013, 08:43:43 AM
Can't understand how some Tyrone posters are so negative about the league campaign. A lot of people were predicting relegation at the start of the year. Instead they've won 5 matches and finished 2nd in division whilst using 28 players along the way. Can only imagine the thoughts of the same posters if they'd been relegated.

I know people will point to last weeks match as showing weaknesses. But at the end of the day Tyrone lost a game which effectively meant nothing to them by a point against a good Kerry team. The first half was awful but I'm sure the team will learn from it. People have complained that Harte was slow to make changes but maybe he was happy to let it run and see how the team coped and expose weaknesses ahead of the championship.

It's a decent team starting on Sunday. Still question marks over the defence but a lot of the players who didn't perform well last Sunday have been dropped which is maybe a good sign to be sending out to them. The people who were complaining about last weeks defence are now complaining about the changes!!

Going to be tough for PJ and Carlin but they need a run out like this ahead of the championship. Any word on McNabb? I wouldn't be overly surprised if that was the midfield and forward line come championship. McCurry still has a lot to improve but I would have high hopes for him. Concerned about our lack of midfield options. Pity McGinley hadn't hung around for a few more years - would have been a good option from the bench if nothing else.

Nice to be heading back to Croke Park for a league semi final. We haven't been to one in a good few years and would be great to get back to the final and get another big test ahead of the championship.

I wouldn't be negative about the league performances up to now but it doesn't mean that I'm not concerned about the team for the championship. What a lot of people are commenting on is that the first half of the Kerry game (and the Cork game a few weeks ago) highlighted the weaknesses that the Tyrone team have had going back to 2009 and its clear that they haven't been addressed. We still don't have a man marker, we still don't have a viable midfield partner for Sean and we still carry the ball into the tackle far too often. These weaknesses have been brutally exposed by Cork, Dublin and Kerry in big championship matches in the past 4 years and we are no closer to solving the problems and going back to PJ and Dermy isn't the answer. We have been compensating for having no ball winning midfielder for years - why has our development squads not produced one? We have flooded our defence to cover the act we don't have a man marker - again why are we not addressing this issue rather than compensating for it? I have 100% faith in Mickey Harte and hope that he can pull off another All Ireland, but I fear that come Croke Park in August we could get brutally found out again.
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 13, 2013, 01:13:23 PM

I wouldn't be negative about the league performances up to now but it doesn't mean that I'm not concerned about the team for the championship. What a lot of people are commenting on is that the first half of the Kerry game (and the Cork game a few weeks ago) highlighted the weaknesses that the Tyrone team have had going back to 2009 and its clear that they haven't been addressed. We still don't have a man marker, we still don't have a viable midfield partner for Sean and we still carry the ball into the tackle far too often. These weaknesses have been brutally exposed by Cork, Dublin and Kerry in big championship matches in the past 4 years and we are no closer to solving the problems and going back to PJ and Dermy isn't the answer. We have been compensating for having no ball winning midfielder for years - why has our development squads not produced one? We have flooded our defence to cover the act we don't have a man marker - again why are we not addressing this issue rather than compensating for it? I have 100% faith in Mickey Harte and hope that he can pull off another All Ireland, but I fear that come Croke Park in August we could get brutally found out again.

I would share a lot of the concerns above. We clearly are stuck for a top class corner back and a real ball winning midfielder. I simply don't think the players are there so Harte is having to compensate by getting the right system in place. Even the best corner backs struggle if they're exposed anyway. I think there was signs against Donegal of the system working. With a good defensive screen in place and players rotating the sweeper role to ensure the players getting forward were fresh. It worked well that day.

I certainly think we're in a better position at the minute than we were for the championship last year. The younger players have got another year behind them, more players have got game time and the team have a tough league campaign in division 1 under their belts. Sean Cavanagh being available is a huge plus too. Stevie O'Neill is in as good a form as he has been in a long time another big plus. Let's hope the injuries stay away for the summer.

rrhf

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 13, 2013, 01:40:44 PM

Agh dry yer eyes, Cant listen to this drivel any time anybody comments on a team selection.  RHF would  you would rather us all be a lemming. 

partisan

Any season ticket not being used tomorrow?

Fuzzman

Cloudy miserable day here in Dublin. Clearing up well now with loads of blue sky. 

Man Marker

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 13, 2013, 01:40:44 PM

I would share a lot of the concerns above. We clearly are stuck for a top class corner back and a real ball winning midfielder. I simply don't think the players are there so Harte is having to compensate by getting the right system in place. Even the best corner backs struggle if they're exposed anyway. I think there was signs against Donegal of the system working. With a good defensive screen in place and players rotating the sweeper role to ensure the players getting forward were fresh. It worked well that day.

I certainly think we're in a better position at the minute than we were for the championship last year. The younger players have got another year behind them, more players have got game time and the team have a tough league campaign in division 1 under their belts. Sean Cavanagh being available is a huge plus too. Stevie O'Neill is in as good a form as he has been in a long time another big plus. Let's hope the injuries stay away for the summer.

How do you figure out we are in abetter position than last year. Mickey has just reverted to eventually the same players as last year, which as we all know were not good enough. In the first decent test for the young players to experience a big game  in Croker at senior level he has opted against them.Really disappointed. But on the other hand he is playing Donnelly at CHB which isa risk, but a positive one in my book,he has the potential to be a natural in that position.

Zulu

Hurley, Brophy and Bolton in for Johnston Darryl Flynn and Smith.

Itchy

Seanie dropped! Hell be filling in the transfer paperwork in the dugout as we speak.

Armaghgeddon

Cant believe how easily kildare are missing chances. Tyrone look comfortable and just keeping things simple. Kildare more wides than scores...8 wides in 20 mins and only scored 4.

Wildweasel74

That pitch is in poor shape, maybe 4 games in 24hrs is too much by the look of it

trileacman

This ref is an absolute f**king joke, who is he? Murdering the game of gaelic football, we'll all be playing basketball soon if these tackles are going to be called like this.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armaghgeddon