Mayo v Dublin, LSF, Croker 14th April

Started by highorlow, April 08, 2013, 09:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Good stuff another game against the Dubs in Croker and if the last few are anything to go by it'll be high on entertainment. If we can somehow get the auld radar lined up we might sneak it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rerun of the league encounter , a tit for tat encounter with us fading out in the last 15. Anyway looking forward to an enjoyable clash and some good banter with the city slickers. I think we'll need to improve on our average of 0-13 in the league so far by about 4 or 5 points at least to win this one.

Fuzzman

Read in the Irish Times that it's 20 years since Dublin won the league. Hard to believe.
A good win for Mayo yesterday as not easy to beat Cork down there but I have to fancy Dublin to win this.

Presume this game will be the second game on Sunday.
Is the final only on TG4 does anyone know?

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 08, 2013, 12:49:29 PM
Does Jim Gavin know his best team I wonder?

Can pose it's own problems when trying to get the balance right.
Gavin has actually being remarkably consistent in his league team selections. 9 players have started either 6 or the full 7 games. Add in certain starters Cluxton, O'Carroll and Bernard Brogan and you've arguably only got 3 spots up for grabs.

Midfield is the one area where I'd say he's scratching his head. 6 different pairings started in the 7 matches.

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 08, 2013, 02:45:31 PM
Read in the Irish Times that it's 20 years since Dublin won the league. Hard to believe.
A good win for Mayo yesterday as not easy to beat Cork down there but I have to fancy Dublin to win this.

Some other interesting league stats I read today:

11 league finals in a row won by either Ulster or Munster teams
Leinster haven't won the league in 15 years - and the last Leinster winner was Offaly!
Kildare have never won the league
Mayo have lost their last 3 league finals by a cumulative score of 16 points and none of those were even against Kerry!

TG4 are down to cover both league semis on Sunday according to the Irish Times today

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2013, 02:53:23 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 08, 2013, 02:45:31 PM

Some other interesting league stats I read today:

11 league finals in a row won by either Ulster or Munster teams
Leinster haven't won the league in 15 years - and the last Leinster winner was Offaly!
Kildare have never won the league
Mayo have lost their last 3 league finals by a cumulative score of 16 points and none of those were even against Kerry!

TG4 are down to cover both league semis on Sunday according to the Irish Times today

Well not to puncture the old MAYO GOD HELP US headline you have there Hound but 2010 v Cork was the only Kerryesque beating we took with the game over in the first 15 mins and the Corkonians taking pity on us by tapping the ball about between themselves for the next hour so as not to totally humiliate us. 2007 v Donegal went to extra time and was a real ding dong affair and last year while under pressure we were right in the contest till a brilliant Colm O' Neill goal closely followed by a fortuitous Aidan Walsh goal killed us off so the auld stats can paint a fairly false picture and you did leave out that we actually won the League in 2001 beating a Galway team that went on to win Sam that year. Good opening salvo from you all the same though  ;). Heffo he's putting your yerra posts to shame ;D

ballinaman

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 08, 2013, 05:09:29 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 08, 2013, 04:39:22 PM
Joe McQuillan  ::)

Wonder who Dublin will be playing in the final
Best ask Joe that one.......he's really thrived under Gavin, great to see him getting so much game time.

muppet

In all seriousness, I think the Dubs going out of the U-21 early, BiBi coming back and of course home advantage all adds up to a good day for Heffo.

Dubs by 8.
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Quote from: ballinaman on April 08, 2013, 05:15:20 PM

Best ask Joe that one.......he's really thrived under Gavin, great to see him getting so much game time.

I think his experience is vital for the younger lads.

heffo

I don't know lads, he was an 8/10 for Mayo in the Semi-final last year.

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on April 08, 2013, 05:27:03 PM

I don't know lads, he was an 8/10 for Mayo in the Semi-final last year.
Allowed and off day every now and then surely... :P

heffo

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2013, 05:24:53 PM
In all seriousness, I think the Dubs going out of the U-21 early, BiBi coming back and of course home advantage all adds up to a good day for Heffo.

Dubs by 8.

No chance, Ger Cafferky will have B Brogan in his pocket living on scraps - starved of a focal point of their attack, the Dubs will inevitably crumble under the Mayo onslaught

muppet

Quote from: heffo on April 08, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Dubs by 8.

No chance, Ger Cafferky will have B Brogan in his pocket living on scraps - starved of a focal point of their attack, the Dubs will inevitably crumble under the Mayo onslaught

Ballon D'ór Brogan will hardly get his place, ye have so many class forwards to pick from. If we can't make up the numbers could we borrow him?
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2013, 05:37:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on April 08, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Dubs by 8.

Ballon D'ór Brogan will hardly get his place, ye have so many class forwards to pick from. If we can't make up the numbers could we borrow him?

He'd hardly get a look in to ye're forward six