best manager never to have managed a county

Started by NaomhBridAbĂș, April 06, 2013, 08:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranch

Quote from: Orior on April 07, 2013, 05:21:05 PM
Quote from: ranch on April 07, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
John Rafferty

Ranch, are you John Rafferty?

Nope. I mentioned him from an Armagh perspective.
He done well with St. Gall's and now St. Paul's and has never managed a county, worth a mention.

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

ck

As usual thread dominated by Ulster posters and comments.
So Dessie Ryan and McGuckian DID actually manage county teams and the rest mentioned here hardly hit the mark. Right to conclude then that there are very few top managers who haven't managed at county level?

Brick Tamlin

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 08, 2013, 10:48:01 AM
Ray Morgan.

End of Discussion.

It pains me to agree with that comment but he was definitely more influential in the College than wee Pete. 

T Fearon

Are we talking at County Senior Level, or any level? If it's at Senior level, what about Sean O'Neill who won the All Ireland Minor Title with Down in 1977 and the Sigerson Cup with Queens in 1982? Although I'm sure he had offers to manage senior County teams.

ck

Who is Ray Morgan?

Sean O'Neill was the Down legend yeah? Strange he never managed Down alright especially if he did manage other teams.

NP 76

Sean O Neill was involved with Down when they won the national league in 1983 and Ray Morgan was just something else managed Burren to 2 All Ireland Club titles and St Colmans College to 5 Hogan cups and I think 8 mc Crory cups not a bad record

T Fearon

He was still managing Queens in 1983 so I can't see how he was involved with Down,other than maybe going to one or two training sessions.

muppet

Martin Carney managed the Mayo minors (lost AIF 1991) and twice managed the Mayo U-21s (lost AIF both 1995 & 1996).

He obviously had potential as a manager but stuck with the punditry.
MWWSI 2017

blanketattack

The manager of the London team that won the 1901 hurling All-Ireland.

T O Hare

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 08, 2013, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 08, 2013, 10:48:01 AM
Ray Morgan.

End of Discussion.

It pains me to agree with that comment but he was definitely more influential in the College than wee Pete.
Mcrory training was never the same with just wee Pete.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

southsidejohnny