Meath East By-Election

Started by magpie seanie, March 28, 2013, 02:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 29, 2013, 03:58:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2013, 10:45:03 PM
So which parties do best in getting their vote out on a low turnout? What would this result have looked like on a 60% turnout?

The hardcore party support turn out when there is a low turnout generally. The floaters, those with no allegiance etc didn't bother. Can't say I blame them. 38% turnout should send alarm bells ringing but instead all RTE focus on is that apparently we all agree with austerity.
Yes, I understand your point about the hardcore supporters - just wondering if turnout was 60 or 70%, would the percentages for each candidate/party be similar? What party/candidate did better due to the low turnout?

Regarding your comment on RTÉ, I would have expected the anti-austerity / anti-government vote to be significantly bigger than it was. And the FF vote doesn't really count, as they wouldn't really be doing anything different than the current government.

If RTÉ are wrong in saying that people agree with austerity, then the conclusion must be that the voters don't agree, but don't see a feasible alternative.

Itchy

The problem is there is no alternative, everyone knows we are signed into agreements and no one in opposition is going to change that. Fg and labour said they would but they just implemented ff policy. Vote for who you like, the rulers of this country won't be standing for election here

armaghniac

Labour lied in the election campaign, promising things they couldn't reasonably deliver on in the times that are in it. They may have felt it necessary to do this because of the truly blatant false promises from SF and diverse lefties. But people will remember, hopefully lying is becoming less acceptable in politicians.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Did FG not lie and lie and lie before the last election and still they are voted in.

Maguire01

Quote from: Itchy on March 29, 2013, 06:11:16 PM
Did FG not lie and lie and lie before the last election and still they are voted in.
And probably will be next time as well.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2013, 06:00:30 PM
hopefully lying is becoming less acceptable in politicians.

That will be the day .....
Pity we have to die and go to Heaven to see it. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 29, 2013, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 29, 2013, 03:58:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2013, 10:45:03 PM
So which parties do best in getting their vote out on a low turnout? What would this result have looked like on a 60% turnout?

The hardcore party support turn out when there is a low turnout generally. The floaters, those with no allegiance etc didn't bother. Can't say I blame them. 38% turnout should send alarm bells ringing but instead all RTE focus on is that apparently we all agree with austerity.
Yes, I understand your point about the hardcore supporters - just wondering if turnout was 60 or 70%, would the percentages for each candidate/party be similar? What party/candidate did better due to the low turnout?

Regarding your comment on RTÉ, I would have expected the anti-austerity / anti-government vote to be significantly bigger than it was. And the FF vote doesn't really count, as they wouldn't really be doing anything different than the current government.

If RTÉ are wrong in saying that people agree with austerity, then the conclusion must be that the voters don't agree, but don't see a feasible alternative.

Completely agree with this post. Fianna fail voters had two choices in this election. Shepherd1 or 2 baaah!
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

QuoteDid FG not lie and lie and lie before the last election and still they are voted in.

Yes they did lie, but not as comprehensively as Labour. The nonsense about "Frankfurt's way or Labour's way" implied that Labour had some realistic plan to do things differently, when they hadn't.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Cancer services back in sligo within 30 days
Enda standing with Roscommon hospital
Rating performance of TD's
New transparent politics

At least as bad if not worse than labour.

spuds

More importantly is Helen McEntee now the finest looking beuer in the Dáil ?

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

spuds

John Hubbard

spuds

John Hubbard

spuds

John Hubbard

spuds