FRC proposals...black cards, marks etc

Started by yellowcard, March 19, 2013, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2013, 09:18:35 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 23, 2013, 09:14:05 PM
Like if you soloed past me and I just grabbed you around the waist. This happened tonight and has happened in many games, players stopping the man in possession while never attempting to play the ball. That is often simply a free and even if a ref gives a yellow that isn't strong enough as football isn't a player tackling sport it is a ball tackling sport. In the past you might dismiss it as a 'forward tackling' but now it is done purposefully to allow players get back and set up a defensive screen, it needs a greater punishment than a yellow card, which it rarely gets anyway.

I agree that this 'tactical' fouling has become a greater part of the game.  Simply yellow card the man and enforce it, we don't need to bring in another 'card' to further complicate things.  If they want to cut out cynical fouling how about follow something similar ot basketball and every team that accrues x amount of fouls per half give away a 21 yard free in front of the goals for every foul thereafter.  That would be a better way to punish teams that foul in my book.

Again I don't disagree. My support for the blackcard is not based on the fact tat it is the best solution, the sin bin is IMO, but on the fact that it was the only solution on the table. The alternative is to keep what we have and that wasn't acceptable to me. If your solution was on the table you can be sure there would have been opposition and there are weaknesses in your solution too but there isn't a perfect one so lets give this a try.

Jinxy

I think there's an upgrade for Hawkeye that allows it to zap players that are having cynical thoughts.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2013, 08:41:53 PM
Instead of wasting a pile of man hours in 'thinking' up new rules surely it would have been more suitable that a 'rules education' group be established and each county have officers who go to clubs and basically educate the 'experts' running the different teams.  The rules are there to deal with all acts of cynical play and it would be better to properly enforce the and make the bans more appropriate.  I would much prefer that they introduce a game based suspension system than a time based one and enforce it harder.

God forbid if people taking up a sport should take responsibility for educating themselves about what the rules of the game are before taking to the field.

Rossfan

When I see the posters who are against this now adopted proposal the more I think the FRC/GAA have got it absolutely right ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TacadoirArdMhacha

To suggest that these new rules will somehow be the ruination of football is a nonsense which sadly is being articulated by too many supporters and players. The 3 non-verbal justifications for a black card all relate to incidents where an opposing player is brought to the ground illegally and with no attempt made to play the ball (or at least that's my interpretation). Anybody who has the best interests of GAA at heart will laud attempts to reduce the instances of this type of tackling.

That said, I think there are better and more equitable ways to achieve that objective. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I'd have preferred to see a sin bin rather than a black card or perhaps even better, the punishment of such fouls with the award of a scorable free.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

Dessie Dolan today on RTE radio said he thought there already was an advantage rule.
I refuse to listen to criticism of new rules from people who don't even understand the old rules.

BartSimpson

Quote from: Jinxy on March 23, 2013, 09:30:17 PM
I think there's an upgrade for Hawkeye that allows it to zap players that are having cynical thoughts.
LOL

I asume youre a Meathman judging by your profiler, so dat would frighten you. LOL
guwan the parish

ONeill

Is the black card that much of a deterrent? Most of the so-called cynicism occurs in the last 5-10 mins. I can't see players or managers being that perturbed to be putting on fresh legs for offenders at that stage of the game. Do the subs for this offence count as part of your sub quota?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

You'd have had a few lads off in the first half tonight and you usually have a few of these types of offences in the first 40 min so I think I think it is a reasonable deterrent. It's better than current no deterrent policy anyway.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on March 23, 2013, 10:51:24 PM
Is the black card that much of a deterrent? Most of the so-called cynicism occurs in the last 5-10 mins. I can't see players or managers being that perturbed to be putting on fresh legs for offenders at that stage of the game. Do the subs for this offence count as part of your sub quota?
Don't think cynicism peaks in last 10 or 15 mins. The types of fouls mentioned in this rule are systemic and occur throughout the game.

Jinxy

;D

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2013, 11:04:04 PM
Don't think cynicism peaks in last 10 or 15 mins. The types of fouls mentioned in this rule are systemic and occur throughout the game.

Really? We were always taught to haul and drag in the last 10 if ahead by less than 4.

Zulu

When were a Tyrone team ever ahead by 4 in the last 10 in your time O'Neill?

ONeill

It grew out of the 1986 final. If Tyrone had pulled and hauled after McCabe's penalty the GAA landscape would've changed. 40 mins was a bit early but Art slipped up there.

"To deliberately pull down an opponent"
"To deliberately trip an opponent with the hand(s), arm, leg or foot."
"To deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play"
" To threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or a teammate"
"To remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a Match Official"

What about pulling a jersey back?

Zulu

If it isn't a black card it should be!!