St Patrick's Day

Started by ONeill, March 15, 2013, 10:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Means different things at different times to me. When I was a nipper it always meant some chocolate and sweets. When I was a teenager it meant an 18 hour shift in the pub (working). As an exile it's meant everything from a surprise party for me, to doing a bit of warbling at the Irish pubs. This weekend there's no singing work being done at all and ill be golfing and drinking and having the Craic from now through Monday morning.

One constant every year though...

http://youtu.be/jJbbkai2rak

Enjoy yourselves whatever you get up to.

cadence

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 16, 2013, 01:48:42 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 16, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on March 16, 2013, 12:51:35 PM
Feed, hq, beer and watch the club finals, more beer, more beer, and be home before the headers get back from Digbeth. :o What a wonderful day Saint Patrick's Day is. ;D

did the digbeth thing the first year i was in the west midlands. not my scene. lot of underage kids messed up falling all over the shop + getting a drink down there is a nightmare, the queues are savage in some pubs.

we'll be doing our drinking around selly oak and harbourne before finishing up in moseley. the prince of wales has a traditional session from 8.

That's what I mean when I say "headers". Would you get to see the AICF finals around those areas you mention? Hall Green wouldn't be that far from those places and there are plenty of pubs/ clubs to watch them in around there. Myself, Maddog and a few likeminded souls will spend the day in Vaughans, it's sound there during the day but a bit to many "youths" in it at night for my liking.  I'd love to end the day off in Moseley but I know my limitations (kind of).

Enjoy.

cheers have a good one too. if you make it to moseley and the prince of wales i'll be in the donegal jersey!

nearest spot showing the games is st patrick's social club on rotton park road.

ziggy90

Quote from: cadence on March 16, 2013, 02:29:43 PM
Feed, hq, beer and watch the club finals, more beer, more beer, and be home before the headers get back from Digbeth. :o What a wonderful day Saint Patrick's Day is. ;D

did the digbeth thing the first year i was in the west midlands. not my scene. lot of underage kids messed up falling all over the shop + getting a drink down there is a nightmare, the queues are savage in some pubs.

we'll be doing our drinking around selly oak and harbourne before finishing up in moseley. the prince of wales has a traditional session from 8.

That's what I mean when I say "headers". Would you get to see the AICF finals around those areas you mention? Hall Green wouldn't be that far from those places and there are plenty of pubs/ clubs to watch them in around there. Myself, Maddog and a few likeminded souls will spend the day in Vaughans, it's sound there during the day but a bit to many "youths" in it at night for my liking.  I'd love to end the day off in Moseley but I know my limitations (kind of).

Enjoy.

cheers have a good one too. if you make it to moseley and the prince of wales i'll be in the donegal jersey!

Ffs, you'd better give me more to go than that. I'd say that shirt'll probably outnumber every other one. Columbo I'm not. :P
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ApresMatch

Will be my first one outside Ireland tomorrow; in Coventry this year. I hear its sum craic, looking forward to watching club finals tomorrow and enjoying the craic. Decent Irish community here.

cadence

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 16, 2013, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: cadence on March 16, 2013, 02:29:43 PM

Enjoy.

Ffs, you'd better give me more to go than that. I'd say that shirt'll probably outnumber every other one. Columbo I'm not. :P

fair point. i'll wear the donegal hoodie instead.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: INDIANA on March 16, 2013, 10:41:27 AM
Go abroad if you can. Best days are in other cities. Had great days in New York, London and elsewhere

Other then that its a horrible day in Dublin anyway. People lying around the streets pissed at 6pm.

Only in Ireland would that be considered normal behaviour.

Never seen the alleged tradition on St Paddys Day where you must get absolutely rat arsed drunk to have a good day.

Never been outside of Ireland then!

I bet they were rotten around Rome after the Popey was elected, nuns knickers all over the shop.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Pangurban

We seem to have lost the plot completely, celebrating St.Patricks Day whilst ignoring his message. Drunken orgies and maudlin tacky parades are a poor celebration of our national saint. No wonder we are sterotyped as drunken stupid Paddies, tomorrow most of us will fit the image.

Tony Baloney

Like most fellas my age I have progressed through the various stages of mass going as a boy, getting pissed as a teenager and into early 20s and on to taking wains to parades and watching matches on the tv with very little in the way of booze. Lastyears trip to see Loughgiel and a rake of pints in Quinns and The Canal Court was an anomaly.

thejuice

Quote from: ApresMatch on March 16, 2013, 03:32:14 PM
Will be my first one outside Ireland tomorrow; in Coventry this year. I hear its sum craic, looking forward to watching club finals tomorrow and enjoying the craic. Decent Irish community here.

The Hearsall Inn on Craven St is a good spot. The 4  p's is close by too.

In Chiang Mai at the minute. There's two Irish pubs here.

Happy Paddys day everyone.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Pangurban, what would you do in a world where you had nothing to gripe about? Pick the topic, any topic and you're about as happy as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest. You're a big auld gripey tool wagon. Even Christ himself was more Craic by all accounts.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 16, 2013, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 16, 2013, 08:27:41 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 16, 2013, 01:34:46 AM
Should we change the name?

Ireland Day?
dont know about changing the name. but definatley the date. i'm for a day in around the twelth the prods always seem to get the weather.

The date is fine, good to celebrate in mid-spring, summer weather is fine enough to have your own fun.
where are you clown? theres 2" of snow here and its still snowing 'mid spring' me arse.. now you know how he got rid of the snakes..

as a born catholic i cant help thinking that if i ever get to heaven gods gonna be sitting there in a bowler hat and sash laughing his bollicks off..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

cadence

Quote from: Pangurban on March 17, 2013, 01:01:26 AM
We seem to have lost the plot completely, celebrating St.Patricks Day whilst ignoring his message. Drunken orgies and maudlin tacky parades are a poor celebration of our national saint. No wonder we are sterotyped as drunken stupid Paddies, tomorrow most of us will fit the image.

how dare you! today, before every pint, i'll be offering up praise to the universe for the miracle of life that made ireland, pints and me possible.

happy st patrick's day everyone!

Canalman

Quote from: ApresMatch on March 16, 2013, 03:32:14 PM

Understatement there about the Irish community in Coventry. Full of Irish from what I saw of my time there.

Milltown Row2

Today for me has always been about the club, we've always had something on, a regular challenge game in memory of a past player a in house tournament with past and present players, a Ceile in the clubrooms, stew for food and the club finals, we've been very lucky as a club to have been to two finals, one as losers and the last one as winners.

As GAA followers having the club finals on St Patricks day gives you a great feeling. Today we'll down a few pints and regale in past games, the truth will be distorted and the memories a bit jaded but I know we'll laugh for most of the day and shout at the TV during the game. Canny wait
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Slept in, missed Mass. Off to a bad start.
Testing Accessibility