St Patrick's Day

Started by ONeill, March 15, 2013, 10:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2013, 10:49:47 AM
Today for me has always been about the club, we've always had something on, a regular challenge game in memory of a past player a in house tournament with past and present players, a Ceile in the clubrooms, stew for food and the club finals, we've been very lucky as a club to have been to two finals, one as losers and the last one as winners.

As GAA followers having the club finals on St Patricks day gives you a great feeling. Today we'll down a few pints and regale in past games, the truth will be distorted and the memories a bit jaded but I know we'll laugh for most of the day and shout at the TV during the game. Canny wait

Will be a brave few 'if onlys' I'd say

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on March 17, 2013, 04:10:23 AM
Pangurban, what would you do in a world where you had nothing to gripe about? Pick the topic, any topic and you're about as happy as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest. You're a big auld gripey tool wagon. Even Christ himself was more Craic by all accounts.

Brilliant, I have to remember that one.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 17, 2013, 11:27:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 17, 2013, 10:49:47 AM
Today for me has always been about the club, we've always had something on, a regular challenge game in memory of a past player a in house tournament with past and present players, a Ceile in the clubrooms, stew for food and the club finals, we've been very lucky as a club to have been to two finals, one as losers and the last one as winners.

As GAA followers having the club finals on St Patricks day gives you a great feeling. Today we'll down a few pints and regale in past games, the truth will be distorted and the memories a bit jaded but I know we'll laugh for most of the day and shout at the TV during the game. Canny wait

Will be a brave few 'if onlys' I'd say

It's the ones you lose that you never forget, I love when other playes remember a game you played in and your own memory is completly different lol the point you scored was forty yards out but they remember you were ten yards out and missed !!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Quote from: muppet on March 17, 2013, 11:57:07 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on March 17, 2013, 04:10:23 AM
Pangurban, what would you do in a world where you had nothing to gripe about? Pick the topic, any topic and you're about as happy as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest. You're a big auld gripey tool wagon. Even Christ himself was more Craic by all accounts.

Brilliant, I have to remember that one.

;D I missed that quote
Testing Accessibility

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on March 16, 2013, 12:51:35 PM
Feed, hq, beer and watch the club finals, more beer, more beer, and be home before the headers get back from Digbeth. :o What a wonderful day Saint Patrick's Day is. ;D

Sounds like a plan. I think i will have a double on both titles going west. Tomorrow off thanks be to god.

Armaghgeddon

I would usually have a few drinks but this year I might head up to Holylands sober...

Rois

Someone in Antrim/South Derry is in for a wet day - just passed two PSNI water cannons on their way down the M2 flanked by two landrovers. Is there any trouble expected anywhere?

ONeill

Nah, just the Swatragh/Slaughtneil ones getting their weekend wash.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: The Worker on March 15, 2013, 11:26:42 PM
Anyone ever climb slemish on the 17th?

I did that about 10 years ago. My dopey brother fell at the bottom and broke his arm - the ejiit never even made it past base camp and we had our picnic in Antrim Hospital casulty.

Here's a bit on the history of St Patrick's Day Parades.

http://forgedinulster.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/ulster-scots-held-first-st-patricks-day.html
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

Jayus lads, 'twas a grand day.

Even enjoyed the parade, at least the five floats I could actually see. What was up with the headless inflatable man? Subtle commentary on Ireland's drinking habits?

Rois

Was that the big red Christmas jumper? If so, apparently it represented a hug, according to Des Cahill.

Aerlik

Quote from: ONeill on March 17, 2013, 08:58:55 PM
Nah, just the Swatragh/Slaughtneil ones getting their weekend wash.

Weekend?  Since when did they increase the frequency to a weekend from bi-monthly? 

Ach aye, I get it now, the wile rain yizziv had for the past year has upped the levels of the reservoirs so them hoors canny use "drought" any more as an excuse for being fekkin reeking. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

Quote from: Canalman on March 17, 2013, 10:23:38 AM

Understatement there about the Irish community in Coventry. Full of Irish from what I saw of my time there.

My uncle was a very prominent religious member of the community.  Holy Family Church and St. Finbarr's were his connections.

Aerlik

We had a marvellous St.Patrick's Day parade in Perth.

Over forty groups represented including pipe bands, Comhaltas and other cultural groups, sports groups, literary groups and local businesses.

The weather was fekkin hot, I got sunburned, had my first pint at 9pm last night.  We had been organising the parade for many months and it went really well.  We even had Bob Geldof along for a bit of craic.

There must have been around 5,000 people watching it, which far exceeded our expectations as we didn't know what to expect since it was the first parade in years.

Great day. 

50fiftyball

Lads, and Dublin folk in particular,

I've been to Dublin 3/4 times since I started drinking (18 of course ;) ) and I've fallen into the trap of heading into Temple Bar every time. Whilst I do enjoy it and the pubs are good craic with traditional music, I agree that it's full of tourists and the pints, although tasty, are dear.

4/5 of us aged 21/22 heading down from Monday-Wednesday for Paddy's break.. staying in either Blooms hotel/Drury Court (haven't decided yet, both got cheap!) and we're looking for just normal Dublin pubs outside of the Temple bar area.

At night we'd usually head by Harcourt Street to Dicey Reilly's and of course Copper's.
Been told to head by Pearse, South Great Georges, and South William Street? Pubs like the Long Hall, Palace, Grogans etc.

We'll probably head to the club final in Croke Park on Tuesday.

Cheers.