Tyrone v Kerry - Omagh - 7th April

Started by ONeill, March 15, 2013, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Rois on March 28, 2013, 04:51:12 PM
I think traditionally Kerry would travel as far as Monaghan the night before but stand to be corrected.

Kerry fans much better nowadays. Omagh 2 or 3 yrs ago in league was a testament. Last yr in championship in Mullingar also.

Westmeath should've won.

Orchardman

Whats most cringy is when tyrone fans go on about how hurt kerry have been for years, and claiming the celebrations at the end were over the top. I said at the time it was great to see cooper, galvin and co jumping around at the end, why wudn't they after a 10 point thumping? Even micky harte came out later and said "well it wasnt they team that won 3 all-ireland that they beat". What a strange comment. Teams naturually evolve, but there would have been the satisfaction of stuffing a team with the main nasty characters ricey, mugsy, gormley, stevie o neill, big pascal and his finger, and of course mcguigan and his 2 second cameo.

The tyrone secretary then having to mention it in his annual report in december was also an embarressment

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Orchardman on March 29, 2013, 12:24:48 AM
Whats most cringy is when tyrone fans go on about how hurt kerry have been for years, and claiming the celebrations at the end were over the top. I said at the time it was great to see cooper, galvin and co jumping around at the end, why wudn't they after a 10 point thumping? Even micky harte came out later and said "well it wasnt they team that won 3 all-ireland that they beat". What a strange comment. Teams naturually evolve, but there would have been the satisfaction of stuffing a team with the main nasty characters ricey, mugsy, gormley, stevie o neill, big pascal and his finger, and of course mcguigan and his 2 second cameo.

The tyrone secretary then having to mention it in his annual report in december was also an embarressment

What did he say?

Nice to see you on our side of an argument Orchardman, but to be honest the reason the Kerry lads celebrated so much that day (and they did overdo it a bit) was that they were under savage pressure beforehand...they were being told they were finished if they lost, that it would be Tomás' last game and a disgrace for it to be a loss in Killarney to Tyrone. They were facing a team they had never beaten in c/ship football, they had almost been beaten in Mullingar the week before and had got dogs abuse over that also.

Mickey Harte was a bit strange in his comments after that game alright, going on about the ref and stuff, but we'll chalk that down to emotions getting the better of him.

Don't think I commented here at the time but it was one of the dirtiest games I've ever seen, both sides were well wound up..Ricey got in a row with a guy outside the wire DURING THE WARMUP on the terrace side! It was edgy stuff.

Won't be as intense Sunday week but should still be wiry enough. Apart from one league game in Killarney a few years ago, these games have been largely tight affairs so expecting the same.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Beantown

Yeah yeah Bart. Yawn....

Expecting a tight game this time round and won't be surprised to see a draw or maybe even Kerry sneaking a win.  They will not want to be relegated to Div 2, and especially not at the hands of Tyrone.

Kerry have been very lacklustre this year but the win over cork and the week away will definitely give them a lift.. Tyrone are usually hit and miss in Omagh and it's no shock that all the best performances have came away from home in the league .

Hope to see the Kerry supporters travelling to the game, unfortunately Omagh is not anywhere near the majestic setting that Killarney is.

Rois

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 28, 2013, 11:34:23 PM
Quote from: Rois on March 28, 2013, 04:51:12 PM
I think traditionally Kerry would travel as far as Monaghan the night before but stand to be corrected.

Kerry fans much better nowadays. Omagh 2 or 3 yrs ago in league was a testament. Last yr in championship in Mullingar also.

Westmeath should've won.

I meant the Kerry team, not the fans.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Beantown on March 29, 2013, 08:42:29 AM
Yeah yeah Bart. Yawn....

Expecting a tight game this time round and won't be surprised to see a draw or maybe even Kerry sneaking a win.  They will not want to be relegated to Div 2, and especially not at the hands of Tyrone.

Kerry have been very lacklustre this year but the win over cork and the week away will definitely give them a lift.. Tyrone are usually hit and miss in Omagh and it's no shock that all the best performances have came away from home in the league .

Hope to see the Kerry supporters travelling to the game, unfortunately Omagh is not anywhere near the majestic setting that Killarney is.

Feck aff. I'd take the view of Glenhordial any day over Carrauntoohil ;)

Orchardman

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 29, 2013, 04:18:02 AM

What did he say?

Nice to see you on our side of an argument Orchardman, but to be honest the reason the Kerry lads celebrated so much that day (and they did overdo it a bit) was that they were under savage pressure beforehand...they were being told they were finished if they lost, that it would be Tomás' last game and a disgrace for it to be a loss in Killarney to Tyrone. They were facing a team they had never beaten in c/ship football, they had almost been beaten in Mullingar the week before and had got dogs abuse over that also.

Mickey Harte was a bit strange in his comments after that game alright, going on about the ref and stuff, but we'll chalk that down to emotions getting the better of him.

Don't think I commented here at the time but it was one of the dirtiest games I've ever seen, both sides were well wound up..Ricey got in a row with a guy outside the wire DURING THE WARMUP on the terrace side! It was edgy stuff.

Won't be as intense Sunday week but should still be wiry enough. Apart from one league game in Killarney a few years ago, these games have been largely tight affairs so expecting the same.

What he said wasn't that bad but it made headlines during the quiet december period: this is a bit

Tyrone report rekindles Kerry rivalry

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Tyrone secretary Dominic McCaughey stoked the flames of the county's rivalry with Kerry in his annual report.

"In addition, both players and management were deeply frustrated by what they considered inadequate refereeing that lacked consistency and included some serious errors. When the final whistle sounded, Kerry had a 10-point winning margin that was greeted, amazingly, with tears of joy by some players and wild scenes of jubilation among highly vociferous supporters."

Indeed it was a very niggly game from both sides, i actually had a good laugh when gormley got his jammy goal and then the slow mo replay showed him getting the ball out of the net and stuffing it into the belly of tomas o'se! sneaky dig. The difference was that kerry also hit some lovely points that day and that's what made it good to watch.

The 05 and 08 finals are still easily up there with the best games i ever seen, and I was even supporting tyrone both days, so I was just happy to see the tables turned last summer as you say, the guys were under big pressure. But sure I also think kerry will win the all-ireland this year if they get all the old guys flying

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Orchardman on March 29, 2013, 01:44:06 PM

What did he say?

What he said wasn't that bad but it made headlines during the quiet december period: this is a bit

Tyrone secretary Dominic McCaughey stoked the flames of the county's rivalry with Kerry in his annual report.

"In addition, both players and management were deeply frustrated by what they considered inadequate refereeing that lacked consistency and included some serious errors. When the final whistle sounded, Kerry had a 10-point winning margin that was greeted, amazingly, with tears of joy by some players and wild scenes of jubilation among highly vociferous supporters."

Indeed it was a very niggly game from both sides, i actually had a good laugh when gormley got his jammy goal and then the slow mo replay showed him getting the ball out of the net and stuffing it into the belly of tomas o'se! sneaky dig. The difference was that kerry also hit some lovely points that day and that's what made it good to watch.

The 05 and 08 finals are still easily up there with the best games i ever seen, and I was even supporting tyrone both days, so I was just happy to see the tables turned last summer as you say, the guys were under big pressure. But sure I also think kerry will win the all-ireland this year if they get all the old guys flying

Beat by 10 and moaning about the ref? He comes across as a right knob in that report anyway, not that I know the man from Adam.

Had to laugh at Gormley ramming the ball into Tomás...did he think he would wind him or something?!

Yeah 2005 final is up there with best games I've seen, have watched it a few times. 2008 final is not so easy to watch for many reasons.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Even micky harte came out later and said "well it wasnt they team that won 3 all-ireland that they beat". What a strange comment. Teams naturually evolve, but there would have been the satisfaction of stuffing a team with the main nasty characters ricey, mugsy, gormley, stevie o neill, big pascal and his finger, and of course mcguigan and his 2 second cameo.

There clearly was plenty of satisfaction for Kerry and rightly so but Harte was right to say it wasn't the same team. There were 10 Tyrone boys playing that day who had never played Kerry in the championship. Kerry were deserved winners but some of the stuff afterwards about revenge for 03, 05 and 08 was laughable (I recall a Kerry journalist saying the win was better than winning an All-Ireland ;D ;D), they beat a team in re-build mode. 3 of the "nasty characters" you mention didn't even start the game.

Wildweasel74

the end of the day one team got 36 odd all-irelands, the other 3, over the next 30yrs i know who my money would be on to lift more all-irelands, i dont think they be too worried about winning a nfl game in Omagh if they werent in the relegation zone. Kerry never really made any excuses for getting beat by Tyrone, but Tyrone have plenty of excuses about getting trimmed last summer. The slamming the ball into O`Se said all there need be about that tyrone player

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 28, 2013, 08:05:26 PM
From Hoganstand.com, aren't we great altogether...  ;)

Tyrone offer Kerry hand of friendship
28 March 2013

Tyrone and Kerry may not be the best of friends on the field, but the Red Hands' supporters club is eager to facilitate the Kingdom's supporters on Sunday.

The sides meet in the last round of the league in Omagh at the weekend. Kerry need a win to have any chance of avoiding relegation, while Tyrone are already into the semi finals.

Tension between the sides has risen over the past decade or so, but Club Tyrone spokesman Mark Conway has urged any Kerry supporters to stop off at their new GAA centre of excellence on the way home from the game for food and drink.

When Tyrone visited Kerry last year in the qualifiers, their supporters were overwhelmed by the hospitality shown by the hosts, and they are keen to show the same courtesy this weekend.

"Tyrone people were very much taken with the fantastic show of support for Mickey Harte and the Tyrone team when we went to Killarney last Just for the qualifiers," said Conway.

"An awful lot of very good Kerry people waited for over an hour and gave our boys a great send off and that was very much appreciated. Our offer of a wee cup of tea and a sandwich after the game in Omagh, before Kerry folk head home, is just a small offer as a response to the generosity the Tyrone team was shown last July in Kerry."

ye can shove ye're sandwiches up yer arse!

heffo

Quote from: Orchardman on March 29, 2013, 01:44:06 PM

What did he say?

Think that guy has form with ungracious comments in his annual report when Tyrone are beat in the Championship

orangeman

There was no tea or sandwiches in Killarney !  ;)

Nice touch by Tyrone all the same.

Thousands of Kerry fans will travel now.

28 March 2013

Kerry and Tyrone supporters enjoy the game.Tyrone and Kerry may not be the best of friends on the field, but the Red Hands' supporters club is eager to facilitate the Kingdom's supporters on Sunday.

The sides meet in the last round of the league in Omagh at the weekend. Kerry need a win to have any chance of avoiding relegation, while Tyrone are already into the semi finals.

Tension between the sides has risen over the past decade or so, but Club Tyrone spokesman Mark Conway has urged any Kerry supporters to stop off at their new GAA centre of excellence on the way home from the game for food and drink.

When Tyrone visited Kerry last year in the qualifiers, their supporters were overwhelmed by the hospitality shown by the hosts, and they are keen to show the same courtesy this weekend.

"Tyrone people were very much taken with the fantastic show of support for Mickey Harte and the Tyrone team when we went to Killarney last Just for the qualifiers," said Conway.

"An awful lot of very good Kerry people waited for over an hour and gave our boys a great send off and that was very much appreciated. Our offer of a wee cup of tea and a sandwich after the game in Omagh, before Kerry folk head home, is just a small offer as a response to the generosity the Tyrone team was shown last July in Kerry."

Orchardman

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 29, 2013, 08:26:36 PM
Even micky harte came out later and said "well it wasnt they team that won 3 all-ireland that they beat". What a strange comment. Teams naturually evolve, but there would have been the satisfaction of stuffing a team with the main nasty characters ricey, mugsy, gormley, stevie o neill, big pascal and his finger, and of course mcguigan and his 2 second cameo.

There clearly was plenty of satisfaction for Kerry and rightly so but Harte was right to say it wasn't the same team. There were 10 Tyrone boys playing that day who had never played Kerry in the championship. Kerry were deserved winners but some of the stuff afterwards about revenge for 03, 05 and 08 was laughable (I recall a Kerry journalist saying the win was better than winning an All-Ireland ;D ;D), they beat a team in re-build mode. 3 of the "nasty characters" you mention didn't even start the game.

Of course time has moved on, it's 10 years now since the 03 game and even the youngest guy sean cavanagh was injured last year. But sure it's no different to kerry missing darragh o'se, tom o' sullivan, Mike Mac, Tommy walsh etc who have all moved on. But I do agree that it's no form of revenge and nothing can detract from those 3 big wins, but kerry could only beat what was in front of them last summer and they did it well

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on March 30, 2013, 11:04:47 AM
There was no tea or sandwiches in Killarney !  ;)

Nice touch by Tyrone all the same.

Thousands of Kerry fans will travel now.

28 March 2013

Kerry and Tyrone supporters enjoy the game.Tyrone and Kerry may not be the best of friends on the field, but the Red Hands' supporters club is eager to facilitate the Kingdom's supporters on Sunday.

This sounds like a trap to me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.