The legacy of Francie Bellew

Started by T Fearon, March 14, 2013, 06:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

He's even got a Pope named in his honour.

Shamrock Shore

Pope also named after Cookstown's most favoured DJ, Francie Quinn.

Wildweasel74

Stephen O`Neill put pay to any legacy in the space of 1 game unfortunately

cadhlancian

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 14, 2013, 05:32:30 PM
+1

stew

Quote from: cadhlancian on March 14, 2013, 06:24:25 PM
+1

bollocks.....Load of old bollocks that!

The man got every ounce out of what talent he had, he played for both club and county as if his life depended on it and he had many better days in the black & Amber & Orange and white than he had poor days.

I will forever remember Francie for the AISF against Dublin in 02, last kick of the game and the Dubs have a free, it hits the right upright and every single player bar Francie seemed to be motionless, Francie never took his eyes of the ball and he was the man that had her when the ref blew his whistle moments later.

Francie was no Canavan, but he was the right man, in the right place, at the right time for both club and County and I loved watching him play the game of football.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

John o connor

Ask Mickey Linden what he thinks of big Francie  ;)

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: stew on March 14, 2013, 06:31:35 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on March 14, 2013, 06:24:25 PM
+1

bollocks.....Load of old bollocks that!

The man got every ounce out of what talent he had, he played for both club and county as if his life depended on it and he had many better days in the black & Amber & Orange and white than he had poor days.

I will forever remember Francie for the AISF against Dublin in 02, last kick of the game and the Dubs have a free, it hits the right upright and every single player bar Francie seemed to be motionless, Francie never took his eyes of the ball and he was the man that had her when the ref blew his whistle moments later.

Francie was no Canavan, but he was the right man, in the right place, at the right time for both club and County and I loved watching him play the game of football.

Well said Stew.

Throw ball

Agree Stew. If every player made as much of their ability as Francie did from his then football would be a very higher standard. A player not blessed with the greatest speed or skill he always gave his best and never let his team down.

Dougal Maguire

One of the most honest players ever. He may not have had the style or panache that other lesser mortals possessed but he is a legend in Armagh and rightly so. The Mickey Linden tackle was 2 men going for a 50/50 ball and wasn't as bad as Conor Deegans tackle on Kieran McGeeney in the first round match in Armagh in 1992 bur you never hear McGeeney yapping about that
Careful now

weebob

I wonder how many teeth lost MC geeney lost in that tackle ?
Mickey linden lost 3  in that so called 50/50 tackle
He was a good enough player .
he would of been even better if he had of keep his  fists/knees& elbows down

ranch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hXMGjgWMVs

About 4 mins 40 seconds into that video is a clip of the incident. I don't think he intended to catch Linden in the mouth, we'll never know though.

John o connor

He got away with blue murder , ah sure it's only big "clumsy" francie he didn't really mean it . I was in casement watching and he took Mickey linden clean out no ifs or buts , it was a terrible challenge ! He was a great player for Armagh but I'm sorry that was no accident . It's a pity linden was nt in his prime , Francie would nt have got anywere near him

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: weebob on March 14, 2013, 07:25:12 PM
I wonder how many teeth lost MC geeney lost in that tackle ?
Mickey linden lost 3  in that so called 50/50 tackle
He was a good enough player .
he would of been even better if he had of keep his  fists/knees& elbows down
m
mcGeeney was out of football for 12 months
Careful now

Wildweasel74

End of the day, above average defender who won an all ireland with Armagh, just cause he was honest, tough etc, doesn't make him a great player. A great defender should be capable of reducing the threat of a great forward, Francie played great on big men but against the most dangerous forwards his lack of pace counted badly against him. Enda McNulty was a much better defender from that team but he never get a mention