Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: dec on March 15, 2013, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM
Always wondered why the Argies dont play the long game with the Falklands - with a policy of emmigration to populate it with sympathisers. Surely the British couldn't deny them the right to settle?

Sort of like what the Israelis are doing in the West Bank?

The Falklands have very restrictive migration rules as far as I understand. It seems they tend to prefer U.K. passport holders, and I think as they are outside the E.U. do not have to allow other E.U. citizens in. How about 5,000 of you lot from up North try a shot at moving there.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

too old way to old. the only way back for the catholic faith is for jesus to be the next pope and he'd need to be on youtube every night curing the sick and cracking jokes, basically its over they're circuling the plughole. any how i doubt this guy will make any difference at all. as for the pomp and the smoke its like something out of the wazard of az
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

bennydorano

Quote from: dec on March 15, 2013, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM
Always wondered why the Argies dont play the long game with the Falklands - with a policy of emmigration to populate it with sympathisers. Surely the British couldn't deny them the right to settle?

Sort of like what the Israelis are doing in the West Bank?

Wow, that's some analogy!

Easier to achieve in Falklands, what was there - 1,500 votes in the referendum.

Do you find it morally repugnant (in a non Middle -East context?) As it seems a bit of a leap to equate the Falklands circumstances to that clusterfuck.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: lawnseed on March 15, 2013, 08:36:57 PM
as for the pomp and the smoke its like something out of the wazard of az (sic)

You have to hand it to them, it's a sign that they can have a flair for the dramatic when they put their minds to it. If only the repetitive monotony of mass were as interesting, but then I suppose the repetitiveness of mass is kinda the whole point of it.

Gaffer

One thing I did like about the announcement the other night is that the world didn't t know the identity until it was officially announced from the balcony

Usually big announcements are leaked to  the media well before hand!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaffer on March 16, 2013, 08:25:34 AM
One thing I did like about the announcement the other night is that the world didn't t know the identity until it was officially announced from the balcony

Indeed, Channel 4 were saying it was Cardinal Angelo Scola, as the bells in Milan were ringing and RTE said it was Cardinal Odilo Scherer, because Brazilian flags went up everywhere.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Interesting the sources of the immediate attacks on the new Pope.

The Argentine Government are attacking him for not standing up to the Junta. It should be pointed out he wasn't even a bishop until they had been toppled.

Then the British media are attacking him while mentioning, on an apparently unrelated issue, that he supports The Malvinas for Argentina.

I like him already.
MWWSI 2017

balladmaker

Did anyone notice what appeared to be a TV blunder the other night before he actually came out onto the balcony ... the TV images cut to a clip of him inside making his way to the balcony?  Was only on for a split second.

I like him, seems a decent, down to earth sort, just as a Pope should be IMO.

The Iceman

I definitely like what I have seen and heard of him so far too.
Although he was 2nd in line the last time around he was not Rome's choice for Pope but the reformer's choice who were looking for a sheriff to come in and clean some things up. They got their man and that why the World was quite surprised. The Cardinals are divided into groups and normally based on the sheer number of Cardinals in Rome, the Romans tend to sway the vote but it didn't go the way they wanted this time around. Maybe the Holy Spirit showed up, who knows, but either way we have a man who can clean some things up and I am happy about that.
Whatever happens will take time. He won't be afforded that time by the begrudgers on here or around the world but that is what is needed. Glad to see some of you showing some common sense and decency. Some of the comments on here have been atrocious too though in fairness.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ziggysego

Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2013, 01:07:05 PM
Although he was 2nd in line the last time around he was not Rome's choice for Pope but the reformer's choice who were looking for a sheriff to come in and clean some things up. They got their man and that why the World was quite surprised. The Cardinals are divided into groups and normally based on the sheer number of Cardinals in Rome, the Romans tend to sway the vote but it didn't go the way they wanted this time around. Maybe the Holy Spirit showed up, who knows, but either way we have a man who can clean some things up and I am happy about that.
Whatever happens will take time. He won't be afforded that time by the begrudgers on here or around the world but that is what is needed. Glad to see some of you showing some common sense and decency. Some of the comments on here have been atrocious too though in fairness.

+1
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

I doubt it.

theskull1

Didn't you know the RC church are master at keeping secrets?  :)

If the RC church do reform (whatever that means) it'll be because of the begrudgers you show such distain for whereas people like you would scrape and bow for an eternity regardless
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ziggy90

Quote from: theskull1 on March 16, 2013, 04:07:35 PM

Didn't you know the RC church are master at keeping secrets?  :)

If the RC church do reform (whatever that means) it'll be because of the begrudgers you show such sustain for whereas people like you would scrape and bow for an eternity regardless

Really? I'd say they're pretty useless.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

tyrone exile

If the RC church do reform (whatever that means) it'll be because of the begrudgers you show such sustain for whereas people like you would scrape and bow for an eternity regardless
[/quote]

Think you mean Disdain, And if the Church does reform, it wont be as a result of the GAAboard contributors who use every chance to slate it, I get the sense that a lot of people who slate the church would never really have been regular church goers anyways. Having said that the Church has lost moral authority for a lot of people, especially in Ireland. However I cant imagine there will be enough reform to alleviate the wrongs they have done.

theskull1

People loose their faith in a deity and/or a faith group for a multitude of reasons. The child abuse cover up just highlights the RC churchs moral corruption as an institution. One should not discount the power of the butterfly affect in bringing about change. We're doing our bit
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera