Any Sign of White Smoke Yet?

Started by Oraisteach, March 13, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on March 14, 2013, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: stew on March 14, 2013, 01:57:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 14, 2013, 09:14:16 AM
I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.

I wish I knew how to post shit on here from articles on the web, the Jesuit ceremony for new priests is interesting to say the least, to say the worst it is as Un-Christian a document as I have ever read.

they are not big on the aul reformers but at least they are a step up from the lowest of the low..........the Jews!

We have people bleating here about "sectarianism" in insults traded between people of the same background in a football match, but this casual outburst passes almost without comment here.

I though he was quoting someone else.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

EC Unique

The more I read of him the more I like him. I wish him all the best in his mission.

Gaffer

What will he do with his return ticket to Argentina?

Would the airline give him his money back?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

balladmaker

Was wondering about the practicalities of it all ... so I assume he has loads of personal stuff back at his former abode in Argentina, and I'm sure he fully expected to be heading back home this week ... would he not go on a private flying visit to collect whatever stuff he wants to take, say goodbye to friends etc. It's some amount of change to come to terms with, and him 76.

Syferus

He came second last time out. I'm sure he's went over the practicalities involved more than a few times in the last decade.

dec

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 14, 2013, 09:41:49 PM
I am lifted by the things I have read and heard about the new pope. Best wishes to him and his term in office.

I wish I knew how to post shit on here from articles on the web, the Jesuit ceremony for new priests is interesting to say the least, to say the worst it is as Un-Christian a document as I have ever read.

they are not big on the aul reformers but at least they are a step up from the lowest of the low..........the Jews!

We have people bleating here about "sectarianism" in insults traded between people of the same background in a football match, but this casual outburst passes almost without comment here.

I assume stew is referring to the made up "Jesuit Oath" which appears on numerous conspiracy nut websites.

Here is one example http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=jesuit

I am not sure who this "Ian Paisley" person is but he seems to be a loon.

johnneycool

Quote from: balladmaker on March 14, 2013, 11:43:01 PM
Was wondering about the practicalities of it all ... so I assume he has loads of personal stuff back at his former abode in Argentina, and I'm sure he fully expected to be heading back home this week ... would he not go on a private flying visit to collect whatever stuff he wants to take, say goodbye to friends etc. It's some amount of change to come to terms with, and him 76.

If he's a jesuit with their vow of poverty etc, then it could all be packed up in a carboard box and sent to the Vatican once the CIA have a hoke through it.  8)

Hardy

Quote from: dec on March 15, 2013, 02:37:18 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 14, 2013, 09:41:49 PM

I assume stew is referring to the made up "Jesuit Oath" which appears on numerous conspiracy nut websites.

Here is one example http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=jesuit

I am not sure who this "Ian Paisley" person is but he seems to be a loon.

OK - I wasn't aware of that context, so I beg his pardon. An ould quotation mark or two would have prevented a simpleton like me falling into the trap.

Ulick

If the Jesuits take vows against poverty and accepting high clerical appointments, does this mean Frank has broken his vows?

armaghniac

QuoteIf he's a jesuit with their vow of poverty etc, then it could all be packed up in a carboard box and sent to the Vatican once the CIA have a hoke through it.

Just because he is poor doesn't mean that he doesn't have a giant poster of Maradona.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2013, 11:36:03 AM
QuoteIf he's a jesuit with their vow of poverty etc, then it could all be packed up in a carboard box and sent to the Vatican once the CIA have a hoke through it.

Just because he is poor doesn't mean that he doesn't have a giant poster of Maradona.

Maradonna is a materialist, whereas Che Guevara, he shunned the materialistic lifestyle for a life of insurrection and revolution in the America's so his tee shirt will be in the box for sure.

Nally Stand

Definitely like this man already

Pope Francis and the Falkland Islands dispute
In comments attributed to the pope he paid tribute to 'usurped' Argentinians who wanted to 'claim the country that is theirs' during the Falklands War.

By Rebecca Lewis | Yahoo! News – Thu, Mar 14, 2013

AFP/AFPTV - Argentinian cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio became the first ever pope from the Americas in the history of the Church, taking the papal name of Francis I, the Vatican said on Wednesday.
Pope Francis, who was born in Buenos Aires and is the first pontiff from Latin America, once told a  congregation to "Go and kiss this land which is ours, and seem to us far away" when referring to the Falklands, it is reported today.

Speaking at a service for fallen soldiers, before visiting an Argentine cemetery in the Falklands in 2009, the then Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio said: "There are angels who will accompany you, who are sons, husbands and fathers of yours, who fell there, in an almost religious movement, of kissing with their blood the native soil," reports The Daily Telegraph, from comments recorded by news agency Diarias y Noticias.

Now known as Pope Francis, the remarks were not the first time the son of Italian immigrants had waded into the row over the disputed islands.

In a mass in Buenos Aires last year to mark the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War, he told veterans and their families Britain was a "usurper" of the contentious islands, according to The Daily Telegraph.

He apparently said: "We come to pray for those who have fallen, sons of the homeland who set out to defend his mother, the homeland, to claim the country that is theirs and they were usurped."

The first Pope from Latin America is said to have told the families of the 649 Argentinians who died in the conflict to remember those who had fallen.

He added: "Many young people were there and could not return. Others returned but none could forget.

"Many scars, many families destroyed by permanent absence or a return cut short. The country needs to remember them all."

"The country cannot exclude from its memory any of those who were called; it has to take care of so many hearts with scars and say thank you, to those who remained on the islands or submerged in water, all of them.

"The country should recognise their scars."

His election came a day after Falkland islanders voted 99.8per cent in favour of retaining British sovereignty in a referendum.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 15, 2013, 12:01:30 PM
Definitely like this man already

Pope Francis and the Falkland Islands dispute
In comments attributed to the pope he paid tribute to 'usurped' Argentinians who wanted to 'claim the country that is theirs' during the Falklands War.

By Rebecca Lewis | Yahoo! News – Thu, Mar 14, 2013

AFP/AFPTV - Argentinian cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio became the first ever pope from the Americas in the history of the Church, taking the papal name of Francis I, the Vatican said on Wednesday.
Pope Francis, who was born in Buenos Aires and is the first pontiff from Latin America, once told a  congregation to "Go and kiss this land which is ours, and seem to us far away" when referring to the Falklands, it is reported today.

Speaking at a service for fallen soldiers, before visiting an Argentine cemetery in the Falklands in 2009, the then Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio said: "There are angels who will accompany you, who are sons, husbands and fathers of yours, who fell there, in an almost religious movement, of kissing with their blood the native soil," reports The Daily Telegraph, from comments recorded by news agency Diarias y Noticias.

Now known as Pope Francis, the remarks were not the first time the son of Italian immigrants had waded into the row over the disputed islands.

In a mass in Buenos Aires last year to mark the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War, he told veterans and their families Britain was a "usurper" of the contentious islands, according to The Daily Telegraph.

He apparently said: "We come to pray for those who have fallen, sons of the homeland who set out to defend his mother, the homeland, to claim the country that is theirs and they were usurped."

The first Pope from Latin America is said to have told the families of the 649 Argentinians who died in the conflict to remember those who had fallen.

He added: "Many young people were there and could not return. Others returned but none could forget.

"Many scars, many families destroyed by permanent absence or a return cut short. The country needs to remember them all."

"The country cannot exclude from its memory any of those who were called; it has to take care of so many hearts with scars and say thank you, to those who remained on the islands or submerged in water, all of them.

"The country should recognise their scars."

His election came a day after Falkland islanders voted 99.8per cent in favour of retaining British sovereignty in a referendum.

We can give him a pass, as he said this prior to his election as the Pope of Rome. Yet as the Roman Pope surely his position is seperate from nationalistic politics, English Pope Adrian IV is one man that could have kept out of national allegiance politics.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

bennydorano

Always wondered why the Argies dont play the long game with the Falklands - with a policy of emmigration to populate it with sympathisers. Surely the British couldn't deny them the right to settle?

dec

Quote from: bennydorano on March 15, 2013, 07:25:27 PM
Always wondered why the Argies dont play the long game with the Falklands - with a policy of emmigration to populate it with sympathisers. Surely the British couldn't deny them the right to settle?

Sort of like what the Israelis are doing in the West Bank?